TD Cowen analyst Doug Creutz estimates that Helldivers 2 has sold more than 8 million copies. Estimates so take with 🧂🧂

Danja

Veteran
Icon Extra
10 Mar 2023
course diss GIF
But how they are moving the goalpost? What are they gonna do crack the game and go online? 💀

xollowsob

Veteran
6 Jan 2024
But how they are moving the goalpost? What are they gonna do crack the game and go online? 💀
Why add the caveat of DRM?

They use "live service game" as a reason why it isn't pirated. live service games are dead. So dead that Sony cancelled theirs.

How can a dead genre be sold in millions to a group of people who don't buy games, only pirate them?

• thinking_hard
Reactions: anonpuffs

Danja

Veteran
Icon Extra
10 Mar 2023

They use "live service game" as a reason why it isn't pirated. live service games are dead. So dead that Sony cancelled theirs.

How can a dead genre be sold in millions to a group of people who don't buy games, only pirate them?
Because there are obviously things in place to prevent a cracked version of the game from going online? Stop being obtuse

Why has 70% of the single player games they've ported has bombed on PC?

xollowsob

Veteran
6 Jan 2024
Because there are obviously things in place to prevent a cracked version of the game from going online? Stop being obtuse
You're saying that single player games don't sell because they're pirates?

Because those games are shit?

How many games have bombed on Playstation and/or Xbox?
It’s an online game which can’t be pirated. PC gamers have no choice but to buy it.

Come back when an offline game does those numbers.

I'll go with 8 million units sold of a 50/50 split, giving HD2 4 million copies sold on steam.

RDR 2, GTAV, baldurs gate 3...literally a ten seconds Google to find a list of games that have sold more than four million.

If your point is that games don't sell on pc because of pirates, it's wrong. It's a wrong point.

Yurinka

Veteran
VIP
21 Jun 2022
To avoid/reduce/difficult piracy and cheats.

They didn't bomb, they are performed as Sony estimated. With the exception of the fiscal year where TLOU1 and Returnal were delayed to the very end, so for 50M didn't reach the goal (pretty likely sold that anyways but in the next one).

They are generation hundreds of millions of revenue per year (being mostly profit) to Sony, with a big yearly growth every year. Sony was the previous fiscal year the top 20 publisher in Steam, and pretty likely this one they are climbing in the ranking way higher with Helldivers 2 and becoming around top 10 or so.

As they keep adding adding ports of old games and GaaS they'll keep climbing becoming one of the top publishers.

Last edited:

Danja

Veteran
Icon Extra
10 Mar 2023
To avoid/reduce/difficult piracy and cheats.

They didn't bomb, they are performed as Sony estimated. With the exception of the fiscal year where TLOU1 and Returnal were delayed to the very end, so for 50M didn't reach the goal (pretty likely sold that anyways but in the next one).

They are generation hundreds of millions of revenue per year (being mostly profit) to Sony, with a big yearly growth every year. Sony was the previous fiscal year the top 20 publisher in Steam, and pretty likely this one they are climbing in the ranking way higher with Helldivers 2 and becoming around top 10 or so.

As they keep adding adding ports of old games and GaaS they'll keep climbing becoming one of the top publishers.

You are so full of IT... I'f they performed as Sony expected then they wouldn't have missed their profit target.

They bombed and Horizon will be the next casualty. I'm actually hoping it bombs too 😁

• they're_right_you_know
Reactions: JAHGamer

Yurinka

Veteran
VIP
21 Jun 2022
You are so full of IT... I'f they performed as Sony expected then they wouldn't have missed their profit target.

They bombed and Horizon will be the next casualty. I'm actually hoping it bombs too 😁
As usual, you have no idea what you are talking about.

They sold more this quarter than in the previous year, had way more revenue. But had less profit because of the costs of the hardware increased plus had discounts in hardware, so they lose more money per console sold and sold a lot of units this quarter. And also this holidays they had Spider-Man 2 as big SP while in the previous one had GT7+HFW+GoWR, so obviously had less 1P sales than in previous year. In addition to this, Totoki added that this year their profit was also hurt by costs related to recent acquisitions, costs that will ease out next fiscal year.

They revised a bit down their sales forecast for the FY but kept their "profit" (operative income) forecast as it was. But still, both sales and profit are better than in the previous year. Both in the achieved until now and what they have forecasted for the full FY.

image.png

image.png

Regarding PC games (+Destiny 2 & MLB on Xbox) they made so far more revenue during the current FY than in the previous year (FY22 43.7B Yen vs FY23 50.9B Yen). And obviously in Q4 with Helldivers 2 they'll perform way better than in the previous year. Meaning, this FY23 they'll make way more than the 67.74B yen ($454M) they did in FY22.

image.png

Their issue this quarter/fiscal year wasn't missing their profit target: it was their hardware units sold hardware. They are selling way better than the previous year, but they had an unrealistic target of 25M and they noticed that won't achieve it so had to lower it to 21M, which still is a ton.

The full priced PC port of an old game that is Horizon is performing very well, and HFW pretty likely will perform great too, also providing many dozens of millions in profit.

Last edited:

rinzler

Banned
12 Mar 2024
It's not because of piracy I will tell you that. PlayStation users love PlayStation games and have been conditioned to love them over many years.

Introducing these to a new audience isn't going to take off the same way. These games are not revered in the PC space, they are not what PC gamers are conditioned to.

Also they're years old, that doesn't help.

Gediminas

Boy...
Founder
21 Jun 2022
It's not because of piracy I will tell you that. PlayStation users love PlayStation games and have been conditioned to love them over many years.

Introducing these to a new audience isn't going to take off the same way. These games are not revered in the PC space, they are not what PC gamers are conditioned to.

agree, Playstation gamers were conditioned to best games in gaming.

• haha
Reactions: xollowsob

anonpuffs

Veteran
Icon Extra
29 Nov 2022

I don't think it's that, it's more the price. PC gamers are cheap af and years of steam sales have conditioned them not to buy games full priced if it's over $50. Exceptions being games with big hype cycles behind them like diablo or cyberpunk.

rinzler

Banned
12 Mar 2024
I don't think it's that, it's more the price. PC gamers are cheap af and years of steam sales have conditioned them not to buy games full priced if it's over $50. Exceptions being games with big hype cycles behind them like diablo or cyberpunk.
I would say price definitely matters as well, and that ties into the age thing I said. Who wants to spend $50-70 on 2+ year old games?

Reactions: xollowsob

Danja

Veteran
Icon Extra
10 Mar 2023
As usual, you have no idea what you are talking about.

They sold more this quarter than in the previous year, had way more revenue. But had less profit because of the costs of the hardware increased plus had discounts in hardware, so they lose more money per console sold and sold a lot of units this quarter. And also this holidays they had Spider-Man 2 as big SP while in the previous one had GT7+HFW+GoWR, so obviously had less 1P sales than in previous year. In addition to this, Totoki added that this year their profit was also hurt by costs related to recent acquisitions, costs that will ease out next fiscal year.

image.png

image.png

Regarding PC games (+Destiny 2 & MLB on Xbox) they made so far more revenue during the current FY than in the previous year (FY22 43.7B Yen vs FY23 50.9B Yen). And obviously in Q4 with Helldivers 2 they'll perform way better than in the previous year. Meaning, this FY23 they'll make way more than the 67.74B yen ($454M) they did in FY22.

image.png

Their issue this quarter/fiscal year wasn't missing their profit target: it was their hardware units sold hardware. They are selling way better than the previous year, but they had an unrealistic target of 25M and they noticed that won't achieve it so had to lower it to 21M, which still is a ton.

The full priced PC port of an old game that is Horizon is performing very well, and HFW pretty likely will perform great too, also providing many dozens of millions in profit.
Why are you writing your typical unnecessary thesis to me about first party sales on PlayStation 5? Who asked? I surely didn't nor is that of any relevance to the topic at hand. You always try to muddy the waters when having discussions so you can go on your little tangent that has nothing to do with the actual discussion.

Why are you bringing up Destiny or MLB on Xbox?

I am talking about their first party published Games on PC... They have yet to meet their targets for any given quarter, no matter how you try to lie and damage control for their ill advised business venture.

Reactions: anonpuffs

Danja

Veteran
Icon Extra
10 Mar 2023

So why did God of War, Horizon And Days Gone all sell well? Everything else after underperformed? Yes price is a factor to an extent but it's not adding up...

Why everything else underperformed. I actually would love to see them put Bloodborne on PC to see if they'd put their money where their mouth is for once

Yurinka

Veteran
VIP
21 Jun 2022
Why are you writing your typical unnecessary thesis to me about first party sales on PlayStation 5? Who asked? I surely didn't nor is that of any relevance to the topic at hand. You always try to muddy the waters when having discussions so you can go on your little tangent that has nothing to do with the actual discussion.
In addition to insulting me, you said "I'f they performed as Sony expected then they wouldn't have missed their profit target." I shown the facts that prove they performed great, selling better than last year, and that if they had less profit wasn't because the pc sales under performed, but because of the reasons mentioned by Sony that I quoted.

Why are you bringing up Destiny or MLB on Xbox?

I am talking about their first party published Games on PC... They have yet to meet their targets for any given quarter, no matter how you try to lie and damage control for their ill advised business venture.
Sony never shared any quarter specific targets or sales reports for PC sales, so they can't miss any target that don't exist. You are lying, mading up your Sony hate fantasy out of uninformed fan guesses.

I mentioned the Sony 1P sales on Xbox because the only place where Sony reports their PC sales is included under the "other software" metric I shared in the other image, which includes the 1P game sales outside PS. Mostly includes PC, but also rival consoles regarding MLB+Bungie (not only Xbox, Switch too).

In addition to insulting me, you are lying saying they miss they target every quarter for the PC sales without showing receipts, just made up stuff straight of your ass. I prove you are wrong showing the most related real numbers that Sony shares. Which prove Sony is on track on the single only PC sales estimate they shared, which was yearly based instead of quarter based, having a big growth every year.

Regarding PC specific sales or target, they only share sales yearly in their FY May report, did it last year with this:
image.png

They missed the FY22 yearly target for PC sales set a year before of $300M achieving $250M, missing by $50M because in FY22 they delayed their Returnal and TLOU1 ports until the very end of the fiscal year, so around $50M related sales were basically moved from that FY22 to the next FY23.

image.png

In FY22 they also completed the Bungie acquisition, and they changed the way they report a few things. One of them were the quarterly reports, now having a new dedicated report, the "other software" they share every quarter, to report quarterly their first party game revenue outside PS.

I shown that for FY23 they targeted $450M two years ago, and in the "other software" report I shared (1st party game revenue in PC+rival consoles) they already generated $454M" in only 3 or the 4 quarters, but it doesn't only include PC: it also includes the Xbox and Switch sales I mentioned, even if they must be a very small part of the number.

I don't make any damage control, I just prove with facts that you are wrong and lying. And you keep insulting and lying because there isn't any fact that can use to back your opinion or counter what I say.

Sony maskes hundreds of millions per year with PC and is a very profitable business because each port costs them only around a couple millions. And since they need extra profitability to compensate the costs from the hardware sold, huge game development costs and acquisition related costs they'll continue pushing it.

Danja

Veteran
Icon Extra
10 Mar 2023
In addition to insulting me, you said "I'f they performed as Sony expected then they wouldn't have missed their profit target." I shown the facts that prove they performed great, selling better than last year, and that if they had less profit wasn't because the pc sales under performed, but because of the reasons mentioned by Sony that I quoted.

Sony never shared any quarter specific targets or sales reports for PC sales, so they can't miss any target that don't exist. You are lying, mading up your Sony hate fantasy out of uninformed fan guesses.

I mentioned the Sony 1P sales on Xbox because the only place where Sony reports their PC sales is included under the "other software" metric I shared in the other image, which includes the 1P game sales outside PS. Mostly includes PC, but also rival consoles regarding MLB+Bungie (not only Xbox, Switch too).

In addition to insulting me, you are lying saying they miss they target every quarter for the PC sales without showing receipts, just made up stuff straight of your ass. I prove you are wrong showing the most related real numbers that Sony shares. Which prove Sony is on track on the single only PC sales estimate they shared, which was yearly based instead of quarter based, having a big growth every year.

Regarding PC specific sales or target, they only share sales yearly in their FY May report, did it last year with this:
image.png

They missed the FY22 yearly target for PC sales set a year before of $300M achieving $250M, missing by $50M because in FY22 they delayed their Returnal and TLOU1 ports until the very end of the fiscal year, so around $50M related sales were basically moved from that FY22 to the next FY23.

image.png

In FY22 they also completed the Bungie acquisition, and they changed the way they report a few things. One of them were the quarterly reports, now having a new dedicated report, the "other software" they share every quarter, to report quarterly their first party game revenue outside PS.

I shown that for FY23 they targeted $450M two years ago, and in the "other software" report I shared (1st party game revenue in PC+rival consoles) they already generated $454M" in only 3 or the 4 quarters, but it doesn't only include PC: it also includes the Xbox and Switch sales I mentioned, even if they must be a very small part of the number.

I don't make any damage control, I just prove with facts that you are wrong and lying. And you keep insulting and lying because there isn't any fact that can use to back your opinion or counter what I say.

Sony maskes hundreds of millions per year with PC and is a very profitable business because each port costs them only around a couple millions. And since they need extra profitability to compensate the costs from the hardware sold, huge game development costs and acquisition related costs they'll continue pushing it.
I wonder if I can report stuff like this as spam? There really should be an open to flag some your posts at this stage... So ridiculous

Reactions: Darth Vader

Yurinka

Veteran
VIP
21 Jun 2022
I wonder if I can report stuff like this as spam? There really should be an open to flag some your posts at this stage... So ridiculous
It would be more useful to be polite and when claiming things like they underperformed, that didn't perform as Sony expected and that they missed their profit targets, to include sources backing such claims.

As I did to explain that such claims were wrong showing the most related available factual data from Sony.