The Ability to See the World at a Higher 'Frame Rate' Could Give Some Gamers an Edge, study

Gamernyc78

MuscleMod
Moderating
28 Jun 2022

Some lucky humans are capable of seeing the world at a higher "frame rate" than others, according to the results of a new study. The authors believe that the trait could even give those people an edge when it comes to competitive gaming and sports, though further research is needed to prove it.

The human eye is a miraculous organ that allows us to perceive the universe by converting light into electrical signals using cells known as photoreceptors, which are then transmitted through the optic nerve to a region of the brain known as the visual cortex, where an image is formed. The frequency at which this process occurs during each waking second is known as temporal resolution.

According to the results of a new study published in the journal PLOS ONE, some people see the world around us at a higher temporal resolution when compared to other humans. Whatsmore, the researchers believe that this ability to form more images per second could give these individuals an edge in competitive gaming, and other high-speed activities.

"Because we only have access to our own subjective experience, we might naively expect that everyone else perceives the world in the same way we do," said Trinity College Dublin associate professor in developmental neurobiology Kevin Mitchell, who co-authored the paper.

"Examples like colour blindness show that isn't always true, but there are many less well known ways that perception can vary too," continued Mitchell. "This study characterises one such difference – in the 'frame rate' of our visual systems. Some people really do seem to see the world faster than others."

Syndr0mePK

10 Jan 2024
Judging by my Warzone record, I have no edge and no ability to see higher frame rates. But at least I can stop blaming lag now and start blaming God for not giving me high FPS eyes.

• haha
Reactions: Gamernyc78
OP
OP
Gamernyc78

Gamernyc78

MuscleMod
Moderating
28 Jun 2022
Judging by my Warzone record, I have no edge and no ability to see higher frame rates. But at least I can stop blaming lag now and start blaming God for not giving me high FPS eyes.
Im 45 but my Reaction time is still on point.

Reactions: Syndr0mePK