The end for Tokyo RPG Factory, merged back into SE in the same fashion as Luminous.

Zzero

Major Tom
9 Jan 2023
Breaking now on Gematsu.

Square Enix will merge with Tokyo RPG Factory in an absorption-type merger, the company announced.

This means that Square Enix, the surviving company, will inherit all assets and liabilities of Tokyo RPG Factory, the dissolving company, and Tokyo RPG Factory will cease to exist as an individual entity.

Tokyo RPG Factory, a subsidiary of Square Enix, was established in 2014, and has developed and released I Am Setsuna (2016) for PlayStation 4, Switch, PS Vita, and PC, and Lost Sphear (2017) and Oninaki (2019) for PlayStation 4, Switch, and PC.
For those unfamiliar, Square founded the studio a decade ago with a focus on making smaller budget JRPGs of the type that Square had been falling away from at the time. It never really had any big hits and hasn't released a title in years. To be honest, I thought they had possibly dissolved already but I guess not. The article doesn't mention the staff at all and while I suspect that a lot of them will be facing the ax on this, I suppose others could just go off to paint grass for Dragon Quest.

arvfab

Oldest Guard
23 Jun 2022
Must be the reason why their games are leaving PS+ in February. Already rushed through I Am Setsuna and am halfway through Lost Sphear. Let's see if I manage to beat all 3.

Evilnemesis8

Veteran
19 Dec 2023
Breaking now on Gematsu.

For those unfamiliar, Square founded the studio a decade ago with a focus on making smaller budget JRPGs of the type that Square had been falling away from at the time. It never really had any big hits and hasn't released a title in years. To be honest, I thought they had possibly dissolved already but I guess not. The article doesn't mention the staff at all and while I suspect that a lot of them will be facing the ax on this, I suppose others could just go off to paint grass for Dragon Quest.

Wiki says 10 employees in 2017.
Let's say they remained on the small size like the mission statement originally was, might just be something like 20-25~ or not even after all these years.
I don't think they'd have much artists to make grass for DQ. In fact I suspect that most of the art is probably outsourced to Square-Enix's usual outsourcing partners and the studio is probably very designer/programming focused, but the opposite could also be true.

Considering Tokyo RPG Factory's size, I don't think Square really knew what to do with them in general and they haven't released any new project since 2019.

anonpuffs

Veteran
Icon Extra
29 Nov 2022
huh, I am setsuna was on my backlog for a while, maybe i'll get around to it one of these days

Gamernyc78

MuscleMod
Moderating
28 Jun 2022

Square Enix will merge with Tokyo RPG Factory in an absorption-type merger, the company announced.

This means that Square Enix, the surviving company, will inherit all assets and liabilities of Tokyo RPG Factory, the dissolving company, and Tokyo RPG Factory will cease to exist as an individual entity.

Tokyo RPG Factory, a subsidiary of Square Enix, was established in 2014, and has developed and released I Am Setsuna (2016) for PlayStation 4, Switch, PS Vita, and PC, and Lost Sphear (2017) and Oninaki (2019) for PlayStation 4, Switch, and PC.

Thanks, Gamebiz.