The Game Awards has considered adding Best Remake and Best Supporting Actor awards

John Elden Ring

The Thread Maker
Content Creator
5 Jul 2022
United States
resident-evil-4-c.jpg

The Game Awards host and producer Geoff Keighley says he’s been considering other awards to add to the show, including Best Remake and Best Supporting Actor.

During a recent Twitch Q&A, Keighley was asked if there were any plans for new award categories at The Game Awards.

Keighley replied that while there are no new categories this year, the idea of adding new categories is regularly discussed.

“Nothing new this year,” he said. “I’ve seen people online saying ‘why don’t you have a Best DLC category’, which is kind of like the Ongoing Game category.

“Typically that’s been live service games but this year Cyberpunk 2077 is nominated, and when people ask why it’s nominated – well, because they improved the base game in a big way with version 2.0 and Phantom Liberty. So that’s sort of in that category.

“The other thing people always ask is why don’t we have a Best Remake or Remaster category. We’ve talked about it. I think the question is, are there five amazing remakes every year?

“Some years there are – there were some amazing ones this year, obviously Resident Evil 4 is nominated for Game of the Year. Dead Space, a bunch of other good ones that came out this year. And the question also then is would those remakes not be eligible for Game of the Year?

“So yeah, nothing new this year category-wise but it’s definitely something that we talk about every year, and try to evaluate the best way to go about that.”

• haha
Reactions: Snes nes

Gods&Monsters

Veteran
Icon Extra
21 Jun 2022
Best remake/remaster wouldnt reliably get enough entries. Add "best expansion" to that category too.
They don't need to keep that category every year? If they don't have enough just skip a year.

It's his own show, he can change the rules anytime 🤷‍♂️

Explosive Zombie

21 Jun 2022
I think the issue is there's a different stigma with remakes in the gaming space than there is with movies. No one really cares if a movie remake is nominated for Best Picture but for some reason in the video game space where quality is way more iterative in so many ways we make a bigger fuss about a remake getting nominated for something.

I've seen people literally argue Resident Evil 4 remake isn't even a new game, which is just honestly delusional. It is true that there is occasionally a remake that is so faithful that awarding it would mean you're rewarding a new coat of paint on old ideas but they haven't done that yet and that definitely doesn't apply to the remake of Resident Evil 4.

Again I think it's especially noteworthy that this is not even something that's heavily disputed when it comes to movies we're totally fine with movie remakes being something special and unique and admitting to it even though movies represent a more timeless art form. Watching movies from the '80s is a lot easier than playing video games from the '80s these days for instance.

Which to me that's another maturation of the platform is that we're getting these remakes some people think it's a regression and just an easy way to milk people for cash but honestly some games have such great ideas they shouldn't just be preserved as they were at the time they deserve updates like these.

Reactions: Diah

BroodCorp

Veteran
Icon Extra
28 May 2023
I would change my stance if it were something along the lines of RE1 remake or even RE2 remake where the shift was so dramatic you didn’t have much room to not consider it a new experience.

With RE4 remake you’re not only playing a previously released gem, it’s in a style we just experienced in RE2 and RE3 remakes.

Zzero

Major Tom
9 Jan 2023
Best remake/remaster wouldnt reliably get enough entries. Add "best expansion" to that category too.
Then why do Best Strategy Game, Best Family Game, Best Mobile Game, etc. exist? Include remasters/ports and there's always at least five quality rereleases if you care to look for them.

Edit: Imo it should all come down to code anyway, something like Prime Remastered is just a port with new graphics applied where, as an example, I think Xenoblade Definitive is actually a totally new game, albeit one that plays identically to the Wii original.

Explosive Zombie

21 Jun 2022
I would change my stance if it were something along the lines of RE1 remake or even RE2 remake where the shift was so dramatic you didn’t have much room to not consider it a new experience.

With RE4 remake you’re not only playing a previously released gem, it’s in a style we just experienced in RE2 and RE3 remakes.
Man if you don't think the shift is dramatic enough you really need to play the original Resident Evil 4 again.

Reactions: Zzero and BroodCorp