The hate towards remasters/remakes

Ico

Banned
Icon Extra
8 May 2024
man you said everything, give us more games that felt broken on release like the last guardian and bloodborne that constantly went into 20fps, and less games that are easily available and runs great like tlou2, until dawn and hzd

thicc_girls_are_teh_best

Veteran
Icon Extra
24 Jun 2022
I always find it interesting when I see people hating on remasters/remakes.

Remasters and remakes not only in many ways modernize games, but it keeps games alive for current and future generations.

Metal Gear Solid Collection came out with MGS1-3 (as well as MG1-2), but people immediately complained that Metal Gear Solid was 240p30... with drops in frame rate... There was so much of a leap with MGS2 over MGS; imagine if we had a proper remaster on PS2 and no I'm not talking about Twin Snakes. That game would be far more playable today it it had received a remaster. One of my favorite games of all time, but it does not hold up well.

Then you have a number of games from the PS3 that aren't playable on the PS4 or PS5. Shadow of the Colossus got a great remake (though it should get a patch to allow fidelity at 60 fps) but the same isn't true of Ico or the Last Guardian.

People are begging for Bloodborne because it is stuck in 30 fps, but ALL games that are viable deserve preservation and not just preservation in their original quality, but with the advantages of technology, especially for a price that suits consumers and businesses. You won't see me scoff at a 10-dollar upgrade for a game that keeps it modern for another 10-15+ years.

I guess at the end of the day I would say, if you aren't interested in a game, just don't buy it, but there are plenty of people who would love to play their favorite games from previous generations as well as people who were LTTP on certain games. Right now we have the technology to bring some of the best games ever made to a much more playable state in modern times.

I'll take a remaster/remake or nothing or over a cheap/lazy/broken port any day.

Games like MGS 1-3 and such getting remakes or remasters is never the issue, because those games are old enough to where modern tech can add a lot of QOL improvements. Same with re-releases like the recent Tomba or upcoming Gex, or the recent Tomb Raider PS1 collection; in the case of the former two a remaster or remake also helps those games reach a wider audience they didn't get a chance to during their heyday, even if they deserved it.

But when games like Horizon Zero Dawn, which is not only still perfectly fine & playable in its original form, but also fully BC on the current PS5 AND already sold 20 million copies in its own right, get a remaster or remake the immediate next gen...yes it's going to feel like a bit of a cash grab and people will rightfully call it out. The same also can kind of be said for the Until Dawn remake. Both it and HZD remaster are primarily to cash in with upcoming film releases, but at least Until Dawn has other justifications (IMO) such as getting a chance to reach a wider audience (the original wasn't some 20-million unit seller or close to that IIRC).

I can respect the graphical work done for HZD remaster but it's still just a prettier picture of the same game from 2017. A game that already sold extremely well and is still perfectly playable by today's standards on modern hardware via BC. The one thing that makes its remaster more justifiable is that there's an upgrade path for current HZD owners.

Mind, SIE aren't the only one with a problem regarding remasters/remakes of games that don't really need them. They're just a more recent example, doubly so if the Days Gone remaster news ends up being true.

arvfab

Slayer of Colossi
23 Jun 2022
It is the hate against Sony and their games imo.

Any other company doing remake/remasters get a free pass.

Not true at all. It's not the first time PlayStation releases remasters, not even the first time the ports/remasters came "shortly" after the original release.

But there is a difference when you release the Uncharted 1-3 collection a month after announcing Uncharted 4 would release a few months later. (4 years between U3 and the Nathan Drake Collection, 8 between U1 and the collection)

There is a difference when you release Gravity Rush remastered the same year U4, The Last Guardian and R&C release.

While the HZD remaster is releasing in a relatively bleak year, even though H2 and Astro Bot are egregious games.

And the discourse around HZD completely changed once it was announced as a 10$ upgrade, because people thought it would be a totally unnecessary REMAKE due to rumors before the announcement.

Reactions: Systemshock2023

ethomaz

Rebolation!
21 Jun 2022
Brasil 🇧🇷
PSN ID
ethomaz
Not true at all. It's not the first time PlayStation releases remasters, not even the first time the ports/remasters came "shortly" after the original release.

But there is a difference when you release the Uncharted 1-3 collection a month after announcing Uncharted 4 would release a few months later. (4 years between U3 and the Nathan Drake Collection, 8 between U1 and the collection)

There is a difference when you release Gravity Rush remastered the same year U4, The Last Guardian and R&C release.

While the HZD remaster is releasing in a relatively bleak year, even though H2 and Astro Bot are egregious games.

And the discourse around HZD completely changed once it was announced as a 10$ upgrade, because people thought it would be a totally unnecessary REMAKE due to rumors before the announcement.
I see not difference at all imo.

I mean I not even agree that Sony didn't release games this year... they release 4 AAA games (and the year didn't end yet) that is what they usually release each year... 4-5 games per year... and I'm only counting first-party studios... if you add 3rd-party exclusives the number increases.

The year is being amazing for PS users in terms of Sony's games.

peter42O

Veteran
12 Jan 2024
Love and want more remakes ala Resident Evil/Final Fantasy/Dead Space. No interest in remasters because it's nothing more than a visual upgrade. Great for those who haven't played the individual game yet but otherwise, no thanks.

OP
OP
mibu no ookami

mibu no ookami

Veteran
21 Feb 2024
Sony also released

Rise of the Ronin
Stellar Blade
Destiny 2 Final Shape
TLOUP1 Remake
TLOU2 Remastered

and will by the end of the year also release

Horizon Zero Dawn Remastered
Lego Horizon Adventures
Until Dawn

All of this before getting into their PC publication...

People ran with this narrative that Sony didn't have any games because Totoki said there wouldn't be any major franchise releases, and they've transfigured that into meaning that there aren't any games at all this year.

That's 12 games for console in one calendar year. You can remove Concord since it was delisted and you still have 11. Remove all remakes and remasters, which you'd have to do consistently with any year you're comparing it to, and you still have 7 games. You can remove MLB the show because it is an annual title, and you still have 6 games... which is going to be more games than most years and two of those games might be GOTY contenders.

This year stands up to any other Sony year pretty well.

The only "weak" year is the year where they released Spider-Man 2... lol

arvfab

Slayer of Colossi
23 Jun 2022

Nydius

26 Jun 2024
I can respect the graphical work done for HZD remaster but it's still just a prettier picture of the same game from 2017. A game that already sold extremely well and is still perfectly playable by today's standards on modern hardware via BC. The one thing that makes its remaster more justifiable is that there's an upgrade path for current HZD owners.

The remastered version of Uncharted: Drake's Fortune in the 2015 PS4 Nathan Drake Collection was "just a prettier picture of the same game" from 2007. Same for God of War 3 Remastered, which released a mere 5 years after the original game. If there had been backwards compatibility between the PS4 and PS3, would you have been as critical of those as the optional HZD remaster?

Just curious. Because when it comes to the HZD 'remaster', it feels like there's some double standards on display. 7-ish years for a remaster seems par-for-the-course with Sony's high profile releases. I've even seen people whining about Horizon while simultaneously asking for a re-remaster of the Uncharted trilogy, without understanding that's the exact same thing they bitched about Sony doing with TLOU1...

KvallyX

Veteran
Icon Extra
13 Nov 2023
Your Mom
I have no hate towards them. If I don't want it, I don't buy it. Simple as that. The last remaster I bought was The Last of Us Part 2 Remastered. I have bought the 2 Final Fantasy VII Remakes, but I never played the FF7 OG game.

BroodCorp

Veteran
Icon Extra
28 May 2023
It’s usually based in greed. A beloved (cult?) game like Lolipop Chainsaw makes a lot of sense because there’s a clear need to refine the gameplay.

Taking an absolute classic like RE4 and remaking it is just the publisher handing itself another first place trophy. The gameplay of the original is just fine even by today’s standards.

20 Jun 2022
Salalah, Oman
Pretty much all remakes and remasters from Sony are lazy, overpriced and creatively bankrupt. Do something interesting and it will be received better.

why-why-tho.gif

Sony makes the most complete remakes/remasters compared to most. Only one getting close or better is Capcom with their RE.