The Last of Us Part I is now Steam Deck Verified

John Elden Ring

The Thread Maker
Content Creator
5 Jul 2022
United States
FyhV4JlaEAAzurD

Fyha9YXaEAAYhKi

Patch 1.1 is now live for The Last of Us Part I on PC, including performance improvements, fixes for various crashes, and more.

A patch for The Last of Us Part I is now live. This update primarily focuses on performance improvements, Steam Deck performance, various crashes, and more.

Alongside this patch, The Last of Us Part I is now Steam Deck Verified. You will find the latest patch notes for Steam Deck below.

Downloading this patch will trigger a full shader rebuild.

• Optimizations to improve global CPU and GPU performance throughout the game
  • Overall improvements to texture and environment loading
  • Improved shader compilations times
  • Fixed a crash that could occur after changing custom controller settings
  • Fixed a crash that could occur in Photo Mode when saving images in 4K
  • Fixed a crash that could occur when playing on Ultra graphics preset with DLSS enabled
  • Fixed a crash that could occur when using a mouse with a high DPI
  • Fixed a crash that could occur when entering Options > Graphics
  • Fixed multiple crashes affecting players with Intel GPUs
  • Fixed an issue where players could lose the ability to aim or shoot immediately after exiting menus
  • Fixed an issue where the Flashlight tutorial would not leave the screen if ignored
  • Fixed an issue where exiting Photo Mode could cause the player to throw an equipped item
  • Fixed issues where players could see outside the game world in some locations
  • Addressed issues where screen tearing could still occur with V-Sync enabled
  • Fixed an audio issue that could occur when using a USB audio device alongside Spatial Audio Plug-Ins
  • Added support for players using third-party audio drivers
  • Fixed an issue where changing graphics presets (Options > Graphics > Graphics Presets) in-game would not save
  • Fixed an issue where the Speedrun timer could roll back after a crash or when quitting to desktop
  • Fixed an issue where scrollable menu descriptions could not be navigated with a mouse scroll wheel
  • Updated the QTE button UI to correctly display when using Xbox controllers
  • Corrected several in-game, menu, and text-to-speech translation errors
  • GPU Performance HUD more accurately displays usage when launched, CPU Performance HUD now more accurate
  • Corrected an issue where the Aiming Mirror settings did not affect motion sensor aiming
  • Fixed an issue where settings would not Reset to Defaults if players had any of the menu drop downs still open
  • Fixed an issue so that scrolling in Photo Mode does not affect the in-game camera
  • Fixed an issue where the game could reset a user’s Monitor setting when launching the game
  • Fixed an issue where the shader loading could be shown as complete before it actually was
  • Fixed an issue with Corsair and Logitech device LEDs turning off on start-up
  • Display settings are now saved per device and not shared through cloud saves
  • [The Suburbs] Fixed a crash that could occur in the sniper fight
  • [The Suburbs] Fixed an issue where Sam would appear wet during a cinematic in a dry area
  • Added a new Very Low graphics preset (Options > Graphics > Graphics Presets)
  • Added a new AI Quality setting in the graphics menu (Options > Graphics)
  • Added a new Dynamic Lights Quality setting in the graphics menu (Options > Graphics)
AMD

• Fixed an issue where the game could crash while shaders were building on AMD hardware
  • Fixed an issue where FPS could be impacted while enabling the GPU Usage monitor (Options > HUD > GPU Usage)
Epic Games Store

• Fixed a crash that could occur when quitting to the main menu
  • Fixed an issue where vibrations did not work for some players
Steam

• Fixed a crash affecting players missing a Steam user folder
Steam Deck

• Overall improvements to performance while playing on Steam Deck
  • Addressed a memory leak issue that could cause crashes
  • Fixed an issue where certain button prompts would be misaligned
  • Fixed an issue where changing (Options > Graphics > Graphics Preset) could trigger an intense lighting effect
  • Fixed an issue where in-game HUD did not match Steam Deck Performance Overlay FPS value
  • Fixed a crash that could occur during loading screens
  • Effects Density now defaults to Very Low instead of Low
  • [Lakeside Resort] Fixed a crash that could occur at the start of a cutscene
  • [Pittsburgh] Fixed a crash that could occur at certain checkpoints
  • [The Outskirts] Fixed an issue where locked FPS could make it difficult to move pushable objects
We at Naughty Dog and our partners at Iron Galaxy are closely watching player reports to support future

flaccidsnake

Veteran
2 May 2023
Holy shit, that's very cool. Last time I tried it, I was getting ~20-25 fps on the lowest settings, FSR upscaled from 240p. Despite the deep cuts to presentation, I still found this somewhat playable.

Reactions: Kokoloko

ethomaz

Rebolation!
21 Jun 2022
Brasil 🇧🇷
PSN ID
ethomaz
I wonder how that "Steam Deck Verified" works because it should not be given to any below standard experience.

Nhomnhom

Veteran
25 Mar 2023
I wonder how that "Steam Deck Verified" works because it should not be given to any below standard experience.
It's checked by Valve and the game has to have these:

-The title should have full controller support, use appropriate controller input icons, and automatically bring up the on-screen keyboard when needed.​

-The game should support the default resolution of Steam Deck (1280x800 or 1280x720), have good default settings, and text should be legible.

-The title shouldn’t display any compatibility warnings, and if there’s a launcher it should be navigable with a controller.

-If running through Proton, the game and all its middleware should be supported by Proton. This includes anti-cheat support.

flaccidsnake

Veteran
2 May 2023
It took nearly 2 hours to transfer the update (24G) game from my desktop over wifi (i guess it updated itself automatically ⭐), install files, and verify. Next up... shader compilation... One cool thing is it prompts to say the update contains new optimized Steam Deck settings and asks if you want to apply them.

Will report back in like an hour probably.

flaccidsnake

Veteran
2 May 2023
OK this is a huge upgrade for the Deck. The new very-low preset seems designed around the Deck's features. Where I was previously upscaling from 240p, now it's closer to 540p. Where I was previously getting ~20-25fps, now it sticks more reliably to 30. Playing on the Deck was a badly compromised experience. Now you could reasonably play the whole game portably.

The "very-low" preset has a 30fps frame cap which feels pretty bad. I noticed an immediate reduction in latency setting the in-game cap to unlimited. It still dips below 30 often enough that it's arguably more playable than verified.

On the plus side, this game caters to the Steam Deck better than any game I've seen. It has accurate controller glyphs. It has an option to "Quit to Library". It detects the Deck to offer the very-low graphics mode. All cool stuff. More games should follow this example.

Reactions: Yurinka

Yurinka

Veteran
VIP
21 Jun 2022
There is a checklist of things that devs have to achieve, the first image of the OP recaps them.

When devs think the games achieve it, they ask Valve for the verified. Valve reviews if the game achieves the things stated in the checklist and if it's the case, the game gets it.

Last edited:
Reactions: Systemshock2023

ethomaz

Rebolation!
21 Jun 2022
Brasil 🇧🇷
PSN ID
ethomaz
There is a checklist of things that devs have to achieve, the first image of the OP recaps them.

When devs think the games achieve it, they ask Valve for the verified. Valve reviews if the game achieves the things stated in the checklist and if it's the case, the game gets it.
I made some research and seems like there is no performance verification at all.
That is what making me wonder.

They verify Input, Display and Seamlessness (UI launcher and messages).

So now I understand why TLOU PC received the seal even not performing well on Steam Deck even when choose the lowest options.

flaccidsnake

Veteran
2 May 2023
I made some research and seems like there is no performance verification at all.

They verify Input, Display and Seamlessness (UI launcher and messages).

So now I understand why TLOU PC received the seal even not performing well on Steam Deck even when choose the lowest options.

I think you're right, and it's the right emphasis from Valve. Bullshit 3rd party launchers, poor text-input, anticheat, unnavigable UI, etc will be broken forever. Whereas the difference between waffling 27fps and locked 30 will resolve itself in next year's hardware revision. Of course you don't want to buy a game for Deck that straight up sucks to play, but also this "Verified" program is quickly going to account for more than the Deck 1.0 experience.

Reactions: ethomaz

Yurinka

Veteran
VIP
21 Jun 2022

Nah, checklists from platform holders typically don't ask for specific performance or bugs stuff because they don't have the time to keep deeply testing and doing a Digital Foundry of the thousands of games released on their platforms.

They are very generous with performance or bugs. Unless it's trully an unplayable mess in terms of performance, or it has frequent crashes at the first hours of the game they give you the greenlight in these areas. They assume the publisher/dev will be professional enough in this area.

The first party certification processes typically are focused instead on making sure the game follows certain platform specific standards, like related to matchmaking, trophies, buttons layout or UI (things like how button prompts are shown, or making sure in loading screen there's something shown to indicate the game isn't frezzed), support of certain official accesories or OS services, or not crashing in specific key typical scenarios (such as when in a console you eject a disk in the middle of a loading or when switching off your LAN cable or wifi while playing online).

Reactions: ethomaz