The next "unexciting" Sony remaster is Days Gone, says VGC guy on twitter

peter42O

Veteran
12 Jan 2024
Loved Days Gone as it was my 2019 game of the year but in no way, shape or form do I want to play a remaster of Days Gone and isn't there a free upgrade if you play the game on PlayStation 5? I really don't understand giving free upgrades for PS4 games and then releasing a remaster for the game. You would think that Sony wouldn't have given free upgrades if they knew that they were remastering the game(s).

Yurinka

Veteran
VIP
21 Jun 2022
Loved Days Gone as it was my 2019 game of the year but in no way, shape or form do I want to play a remaster of Days Gone and isn't there a free upgrade if you play the game on PlayStation 5? I really don't understand giving free upgrades for PS4 games and then releasing a remaster for the game. You would think that Sony wouldn't have given free upgrades if they knew that they were remastering the game(s).
They mentioned that the free upgrades were over at some point. Since then they did $10 upgrades instead. There's cost involved in the remasters / PS5 SKUs and devs don't work for free.

Neversummer

Veteran
27 Jun 2023
No killzone trilogy remaster/remake
No syphon filter remaster/remake

Instead a Horizon & Days gone remaster/remake in the same year, bruh

He’ll I would’ve taken that one psp/psvita killzone game stuck on that hardware remake for modern consoles, that game wasn’t bad considering the tech it was on

• they're_right_you_know
Reactions: Systemshock2023

Petekilla

Veteran
16 Jun 2023
Dont know hes an xbot

But dont you got the message

People are getting sick with these remaster game

We want more new game
You do have new games. You just got a 94 Meta game. The 3rd straight 90+ Meta game, 3 years in a row. I agree the Horizon and Days Gone remasters are stupid. But PS fans have unrealistic standards sometimes. The big games are coming, they’re just taking longer this Gen.

YeezyDude

17 Jun 2024
Denmark
You do have new games. You just got a 94 Meta game. The 3rd straight 90+ Meta game, 3 years in a row. I agree the Horizon and Days Gone remasters are stupid. But PS fans have unrealistic standards sometimes. The big games are coming, they’re just taking longer this Gen.
Exactly and they'll be worth the wait!

Men_in_Boxes

18 Aug 2024
Dont know hes an xbot

But dont you got the message

People are getting sick with these remaster game

We want more new game
Remasters use significantly fewer resources than full games. None of their new games are getting held up by a small C team of 30 people working on a remaster.

Airbus

Veteran
Icon Extra
30 Jun 2022
Astrobot? Good but its not enough

We want more

mibu no ookami

Veteran
21 Feb 2024
If true here is my theory on it:

Many studios within SIE bulked up in the heatwave of hiring thinking gaming was reaching new heights of consumption. If these games have upgrade paths on both PS5 and Steam, they'll be better received and maybe more importantly they allowed Bend and Guerrilla to onboard new staff on existing tools rather than using Unreal Engine. There is at least some precedent here given TLOUP2 Remastered on PS5.

Sony also saw the potential for transmedia plans and built out PlayStation Productions. Part of the plan for Playstation Productions was a movie for Day's Gone and a tv show for Horizon.

Sony likely wanted remasters for these games because even though they're already on PC they weren't pitch perfect in their initial releases, especially Day's Gone. There are a whole new set of people who would be introduced to these games and they'd likely buy the best version of the games.

For people against Day's Gone getting remastered but asking for a sequel, this remaster is the most likely path for it to ever get a sequel. Horizon made more sense before the TV show was canceled, but nothing Sony can do about that.

With the increased cost of developing games, remasters simply make sense, especially if you can get people to upgrade their existing games. Horizon sold over 20 million copies. If you can get even 25% of these people to upgrade for 10 dollars, you can generate 50 million dollars... that can easily help fund a studio and doesn't even count new customers paying full price.

People dislike remasters because they think they'd be getting another game instead, but that's not true. They're largely manned by junior employees new to studios. They are high reward and low risk. If you don't want to buy them, don't buy them.

• haha
Reactions: arvfab
27 Jun 2023
United kingdom
How about just a simple ps5 update that makes loading seamless & adds dualsense features ... I don't see them adding any extra content or expanding the hordes to make it even more chaotic with a 'remaster' & it already looks & plays superbly

27 Jun 2023
United kingdom
Days gone never got a ps5 release despite releasing on pc in 2021 so no there was no upgrade

RE4-Station

Resident Evil Guru
Content Creator
28 Jun 2022
Days gone never got a ps5 release despite releasing on pc in 2021 so no there was no upgrade
it was actually one of the first PS4 games to recieve a 60fps patch.

Ghost of Tsushima also got a PS5 patch and eventually TLOU Pt 2 and both would eventually get PS5 Remasters.

27 Jun 2023
United kingdom
Makes no sense as there is a pc port already.
That released in 2021 only 2 years after the game initially released , they probably didn't want to release a ps5 version then because they wanted to sell it & a paid upgrade for a playstation game that released a year before the ps5 & then 6 months later had pc port release looks really fucked up for playstation users

27 Jun 2023
United kingdom
it was actually one of the first PS4 games to recieve a 60fps patch.

Ghost of Tsushima also got a PS5 patch and eventually TLOU Pt 2 and both would eventually get PS5 Remasters.
That's not really an 'upgrade' loading times are still shocking

BroodCorp

Veteran
Icon Extra
28 May 2023
Most who love the game say it’s worthy of a sequel. Well if that’s the case more people need to play it. Repackaging the game for PS5 will do more for awareness than a $10 upgrade. It will be seen as a new project which does help bolster the lineup, even if artificially.

Reactions: Luffy123

Yurinka

Veteran
VIP
21 Jun 2022
Makes no sense as there is a pc port already.
Well, its PS4 version got an update to run unlocked in PS5 but never got a PS5 SKU.

A PS5 SKU would shorten loading times to almost nothing, would add DualSense support, 3D audio, even better FPS and resolution even including a PS5 Pro patch to go beyond, etc. Unless they add further improvements as would be improved lighting, RT, textures etc if I was Sony I wouldn't call it Remastered, I'd just use the same name as they did with Until Dawn and would just market it as the PS5 SKU of the game.

No killzone trilogy remaster/remake
No syphon filter remaster/remake
I assume they are prioritizing the most recent stuff with bigger sales/upcoming movies and tv shows.

Once they will be done with them they might move to less selling and older IPs as we're starting to see in adaptations of Gravity Rush or Patapon, which I assume will receive a remastered collection somewhere near the release of the adaptation.

I mean, after the current batch of adaptations they may also do Killzone/Syphon Filter/Motorstorm/Wipeout etc. adaptations, which could be released with their own remasters or remakes. Or who knows, maybe a new entry because these games may be too outdated for remasters and potential sales could be too low.

Last edited: