The Nintendo Switch is no longer in the Amazon top 100 best sellers list

AllBizness

Veteran
22 Jul 2023

Nintendo is loosing momentum before Switch 2 arrives and I'm not so sure a $400 handheld will entice parents to buy Switch 2 to for their kids. One major characteristic of having consecutive 100 mill plus selling gens back to back is the outgoing console needs to keep momentum going leading up to the new console launch. PS1 was still selling gangbusters when PS2 launched. PS2 was still selling gangbusters when PS3 launched, heck PS2 outsold PS3 and xbox 360 for 2 whole years.

Shadow2027

15 Dec 2023
Somehow in japan it still sells incredibly well. Nintendo had to reason to leave switch while it was still pushing incredible numbers overall for the age. Just means they might finally start talking and preparing the next hardware piece. But well still have many years of cross releases with switch install base. Be interesting to see what 3rd party ports and how soon after its launch come to the next hardware for nintendo main players

Shadow2027

15 Dec 2023
Switch 2 should be launched already (like in March 2024) or already announced for late this year.
The delay to 2025 will hurt more Nintendo than most expected.
not really sure on that. Yeah sales have finally dropped but still selling well given age of the hardware and increased age of tech behind it. Might have given them time to get production and cost of next hardware in order

ethomaz

Rebolation!
21 Jun 2022
Brasil 🇧🇷
PSN ID
ethomaz
Somehow in japan it still sells incredibly well. Nintendo had to reason to leave switch while it was still pushing incredible numbers overall for the age. Just means they might finally start talking and preparing the next hardware piece. But well still have many years of cross releases with switch install base. Be interesting to see what 3rd party ports and how soon after its launch come to the next hardware for nintendo main players
Depend what you mean incredibly well because the drop in Japan is massive.
2024 is near half of 2023.
It is similar to the first two years when Switch was heavy supply coinstrained.

2024-07-11-15-09-58.jpg

thicc_girls_are_teh_best

Veteran
Icon Extra
24 Jun 2022
Depend what you mean incredibly well because the drop in Japan is massive.
2024 is near half of 2023.
It is similar to the first two years when Switch was heavy supply coinstrained.

2024-07-11-15-09-58.jpg

Not a concern. The PS5 is selling roughly half of what it did last year in Japan too, are we going to claim the PS5 is in trouble now because of that?

The Switch is in its eighth year on the market. I don't think the OP understands that at all. I also don't think they understand that supply for a system about to be phased out for its successor, would naturally start to wind down. I don't think they understand that with those two factors considered, there is less reason to prioritize stock in "slow" summer months for that type of device.

As for Japan specifically...it's already sold like 40-something million in that region alone. At some point they are going to run low on customers to sell to. You're also not factoring in the release of TOTK and the Zelda OLED Switch model that helped massively boost sales for it last year not just in Japan, but globally.

Overall, there's a lot of concern-trolling ITT for a device that seems to be having a typical last hurrah in its commercial lifespan, and one that's fairly uncharted territory given this is its eighth year on the market (and without a successor already being available by that point).

Reactions: TrishaCat

ethomaz

Rebolation!
21 Jun 2022
Brasil 🇧🇷
PSN ID
ethomaz
Not a concern. The PS5 is selling roughly half of what it did last year in Japan too, are we going to claim the PS5 is in trouble now because of that?

The Switch is in its eighth year on the market. I don't think the OP understands that at all. I also don't think they understand that supply for a system about to be phased out for its successor, would naturally start to wind down. I don't think they understand that with those two factors considered, there is less reason to prioritize stock in "slow" summer months for that type of device.

As for Japan specifically...it's already sold like 40-something million in that region alone. At some point they are going to run low on customers to sell to. You're also not factoring in the release of TOTK and the Zelda OLED Switch model that helped massively boost sales for it last year not just in Japan, but globally.

Overall, there's a lot of concern-trolling ITT for a device that seems to be having a typical last hurrah in its commercial lifespan, and one that's fairly uncharted territory given this is its eighth year on the market (and without a successor already being available by that point).
PS5 has nothing to do with that imo... and PS5 is selling roughly half of last year because last year were post 2 years of supply issues sales.

I don't know if you guys remember but Switch had supply issues in Japan for the first two years... it was heavy constrained.
2024 is the worst year in sales for Switch in Japan if you exclude the first two years with supply issues.
The drop is massive.

• they're_right_you_know
Reactions: Cool hand luke

Danja

Veteran
Icon Extra
10 Mar 2023
PS5 has nothing to do with that imo... and PS5 is selling roughly half of last year because last year were post 2 years of supply issues sales.

I don't know if you guys remember but Switch had supply issues in Japan for the first two years... it was heavy constrained.
2024 is the worst year in sales for Switch in Japan if you exclude the first two years with supply issues.
The drop is massive.
Were you expecting a very small YOY decline for the Switch? Lmao

The system is about to pass the PS2, it's pretty much hit the ultimate saturation point

• haha
Reactions: Cool hand luke

ethomaz

Rebolation!
21 Jun 2022
Brasil 🇧🇷
PSN ID
ethomaz
Were you expecting a very small YOY decline for the Switch? Lmao

The system is about to pass the PS2, it's pretty much hit the ultimate saturation point
No.
That is why I think Switch 2 delay is hurting Nintendo.
I don't believe even Nintendo expected to not have launched or announced Switch 2 in mid 2024.

BTW people keep saying Switch 2 will be a success no matter what... that remember me what happened with Wii U after Wii.
I will buy it but not sure if it will have the same success as Switch.

ethomaz

Rebolation!
21 Jun 2022
Brasil 🇧🇷
PSN ID
ethomaz
I don't think it's hurting them since their system is still gonna sell over 10+ million in it's 8th year.
Nintendo already told investors about the hurt due not having Switch 2 ready yet.
They expect a 20% drop in revenue and 40% drop in profit.

They expected a 14% decline in Switch sales but from what it looks like the decline is bigger than what they expected even in Japan.

thicc_girls_are_teh_best

Veteran
Icon Extra
24 Jun 2022

The drop is massive.

Okay, and those first two years were six years ago. That's the point I'm illustrating here; you're saying the sales this year are a "concern" because they are lower than the first two years of its lifecycle, when the system is now in its eighth year of availability in Japan.

Switch already had its sales surge years ago, different times and periods in different markets. You are acting like the sales rate in this 8th year is somehow an indicator of platform collapse, when it is still regularly outselling the PS5 2:1 if not more in the region on a weekly basis, so what does that say about PS5? And yes I include PS5 here (and Xbox, for that matter, but they're a non-entity in Japan) because in these sales discussions there's usually a point of comparison to measure against. PS5 is the only other traditional gaming device being actively sold in Japan, so that's the comparison.

I think you & OP are greatly exaggerating how "bad" the sales slowdown actually is, and it's goofy to try pinning any of it as indication for a lukewarm Switch 2 performance in the market or globally.

ethomaz

Rebolation!
21 Jun 2022
Brasil 🇧🇷
PSN ID
ethomaz
Okay, and those first two years were six years ago. That's the point I'm illustrating here; you're saying the sales this year are a "concern" because they are lower than the first two years of its lifecycle, when the system is now in its eighth year of availability in Japan.

Switch already had its sales surge years ago, different times and periods in different markets. You are acting like the sales rate in this 8th year is somehow an indicator of platform collapse, when it is still regularly outselling the PS5 2:1 if not more in the region on a weekly basis, so what does that say about PS5? And yes I include PS5 here (and Xbox, for that matter, but they're a non-entity in Japan) because in these sales discussions there's usually a point of comparison to measure against. PS5 is the only other traditional gaming device being actively sold in Japan, so that's the comparison.

I think you & OP are greatly exaggerating how "bad" the sales slowdown actually is, and it's goofy to try pinning any of it as indication for a lukewarm Switch 2 performance in the market or globally.
They are lower than what Nintendo themselves expected....

Danja

Veteran
Icon Extra
10 Mar 2023
Nintendo already told investors about the hurt due not having Switch 2 ready yet.
They expect a 20% drop in revenue and 40% drop in profit.

They expected a 14% decline in Switch sales but from what it looks like the decline is bigger than what they expected even in Japan.
Get back to me holiday 2024

Reactions: ethomaz

ethomaz

Rebolation!
21 Jun 2022
Brasil 🇧🇷
PSN ID
ethomaz
Get back to me holiday 2024
We can look what they expected vs what happened at end of March 2025.
Of course the holiday period will give a better ideia of how off they where.

BTW they forecast is 14% drop in hardware sales for the FY that translate to 13.5 million units shipped.

Danja

Veteran
Icon Extra
10 Mar 2023
We can look what they expected vs what happened at end of March 2025.
Of course the holiday period will give a better ideia of how off they where.

BTW they forecast is 14% drop in hardware sales for the FY that translate to 13.5 million units shipped.
Everyone is experiencing a steeper drop than expected this year. But Nintendo has pretty much hit full saturation. However the system is still selling great if you ask me.

voke

Veteran
10 Jan 2023
They cooking up whats next. Switch ended for me with mario wonder/totk.