The PlayStation 3 is not a Game Machine - Ken Kutaragi

SuperPotato

1 Mar 2024
Multiplats got better once devs got use to the hardware? and did the price tag stay at $599 the whole generation? LOL

That system was bang for buck and more. Meanwhile the competition had to be releasing add on peripherals and constant revisions just to catch up.

No but the initial price made many people move to Xbox and it took devs almost the entire gen to archive parity with the 360.

Reactions: Systemshock2023

Systemshock2023

Veteran
8 May 2023
Bro ps2 games ran at 720p 30fps on the ps3 (MGS HD Collection, Kingdom Hearts 1.5 and 2.5)

Really? Damn! I thought 1080p ports of 6th generation games were a given. Also don't forget that upscaling was handled by the TV. The 360 had "free" MSAA and a better upscaler. Still had lots of games with tearing and low FPS.

All in all a terrible generation for console hardware. No wonder PC gaming started it's comeback in the late 00s. The Wii was underpowered. The 360 had RROD and the PS3 had bad third party ports and YLOD on top of the price point.

Danja

Veteran
Icon Extra
10 Mar 2023
Another one that gets rid of their old consoles smh
Yes! I had no intentions of going back. The only game I was playing on PS3 by the end was Uncharted 3 Multiplayer and Factions. I used PS NOW and continued playing Uncharted 3

Danja

Veteran
Icon Extra
10 Mar 2023
No but the initial price made many people move to Xbox and it took devs almost the entire gen to archive parity with the 360.
OKAY and you keep harping on the initial price as if that wasn't fixed very early? It lost ground in the US and UK and even so the 360 sales were inflated by Kinect otherwise it would have ended that generation 15+ million behind the PS3. Acting as if many didn't jump back over to the PS3 for the exclusives. And Multiplats were bad initially but it wasn't as BAD the entire generation as ya'll love to act.

CrackmanNL

4 Apr 2024
I will always love the PS3 phat it was just too ahead of it's time. That was the last console that felt truly next-gen to me.

BC to PS2 & PS1 with HD upscale.. GoW2 looked better than most launch games.
Unlike the 360 (on launch) it came with features included wi-fi, hdmi, 60gb (massive lol) hdd, blu-ray player..

I bought a Bravia KDL and it made a massive difference, made the HD leap way bigger. That was another issue as well ''HD''-TV's those were very expensive back then. Most were not able to or willing to spend that kind of money.

But Ken was right, I used it as a HD smart device as well, put in my SD card to have pictures and family videos on it to display on the tv, play music, used the browser to watch/stream running anime shows like Death Note. Connect the HDD with content from the 7 seas, hell was the OG (limited) remote play with the PSP. If I look back for 2006 it was really under appreciated.

and me trying to use my PSP as a rearmirror on F1 just to find out it didn't work lol.

I will say the Cell Processor made some studios/devs of PS far ahead of the industry, it made them much more skilful which benefited the PS4 and thus PS studios later. In a divergent timeline where they continued with the Cell processor, we would never had PC/other console ports as well...

OP
OP
RE4-Station

RE4-Station

Resident Evil Guru
Content Creator
28 Jun 2022
I will always love the PS3 phat it was just too ahead of it's time. That was the last console that felt truly next-gen to me.

Unlike the 360 (on launch) it came with features included wi-fi, hdmi, 60gb (massive lol) hdd, blu-ray player..

I bought a Bravia KDL and it made a massive difference, made the HD leap way bigger. That was another issue as well ''HD''-TV's those were very expensive back then. Most were not able to or willing to spend that kind of money.

But Ken was right, I used it as a HD smart device as well, put in my SD card to have pictures and family videos on it to display on the tv, play music, used the browser to watch/stream running anime shows like Death Note. Connect the HDD with content from the 7 seas, hell was the OG (limited) remote play with the PSP. If I look back for 2006 it was really under appreciated.

and me trying to use my PSP as a rearmirror on F1 just to find out it didn't work lol.

I will say the Cell Processor made some studios/devs of PS far ahead of the industry, it made them much more skilful which benefited the PS4 and thus PS studios later. In a divergent timeline where they continued with the Cell processor, we would never had PC/other console ports as well...
I love my PS3 phat as well with PS2 BC but I think the cell handicapped them quite a bit. PS3 BC might not be something we ever get down the line.

Reactions: CrackmanNL

CrackmanNL

4 Apr 2024
I love my PS3 phat as well with PS2 BC but I think the cell handicapped them quite a bit. PS3 BC might not be something we ever get down the line.

Yeah especially with 3rd party and losing 4 billion that gen (yikes). Yeah unlikely with BC, at this point better to port/remake them like they did with Demon's Souls. There is quite some pool with titles stuck on it like MGS4, Heavenly Sword, Folklore or franchises like Resistance and Motorstorm...and the numerous HD collections.

Reactions: RE4-Station
OP
OP
RE4-Station

RE4-Station

Resident Evil Guru
Content Creator
28 Jun 2022
Yeah especially with 3rd party and losing 4 billion that gen (yikes). Yeah unlikely with BC, at this point better to port/remake them like they did with Demon's Souls. There is quite some pool with titles stuck on it like MGS4, Heavenly Sword, Folklore or franchises like Resistance and Motorstorm...and the numerous HD collections.
i do i agree however that the ps3 is one of the most next gen feeling systems out there.Along with the psp. I remember being mind blown being able to play super mario 64 on the go with the ds remake but seeing my friends play the psp with gta liberty city stories made it look like some sort of alien technology. Same with PS3 sony at the time felt like they were just into making luxury items. That is was will always stand out to me the most.

Reactions: CrackmanNL

J_Paganel

30 Jan 2024

The main problem with the PS3 was its early release, which did not allow us to finish what was planned, and also made life difficult for developers (because even the documentation had problems, it was not ready).

This was influenced by the early release of the XBOX360, which was not ready for it at all, and this was confirmed by massive failures of consoles (very thick and hot nanometers, and a bad cooling system is not the best cocktail), perhaps if not for this, the situation would have been different...

Systemshock2023

Veteran
8 May 2023
The main problem with the PS3 was its early release, which did not allow us to finish what was planned, and also made life difficult for developers (because even the documentation had problems, it was not ready).

This was influenced by the early release of the XBOX360, which was not ready for it at all, and this was confirmed by massive failures of consoles (very thick and hot nanometers, and a bad cooling system is not the best cocktail), perhaps if not for this, the situation would have been different...

Making life difficult for developers was by design as it was with the PS2. To prevent them from porting games to other platforms. Sony could get away with that in the Sixth generation as Xbox released later and Nintendo and Sega kept dropping the ball.

But at soon as the 360 became a viable alternative to the PS3 market share wise devs flocked to it.