The PlayStation VR2 PC adapter launches August 7.

SLB1904

Actually born in 1904!
22 Jun 2022
Honestly, get fucked. What a waste of fucking plastic, let alone time and resources.
No HDR, eye tracking or adaptive triggers?!? The thing that makes PSVR2 better than everything else? Get to fuck Sony.

Either go balls to wall and push PSVR2 on PC with full features, or don't bother. Half-arsed fucks.
I see that for someone like me. Who owns psvr2 and a pc. And I don’t see spending another grand on vr headset. And no quests are dog shit compared to psvr2

• Shake
Reactions: xollowsob

xollowsob

Veteran
6 Jan 2024
I see that for someone like me. Who owns psvr2 and a pc. And I don’t see spending another grand on vr headset. And no quests are dog shit compared to psvr2
Quests are dog shit. PSVR2 is the best VR headset to date, hands down. The adaptive triggers are, outside of the screen, the best feature of the headset. That pressure when squeezing the trigger is jizztastic.

What was the reason Sony skipped it? The interface couldn't handle it? A strategic decision to push people towards Playstation?

I just hope that I can play the VR games forever and there's someway of downloading them to save for prosperity and I don't have to rely on Sony. It'll be a real fucking shame if that device and those games disappear to the aether.

• thisistheway
Reactions: SLB1904

SLB1904

Actually born in 1904!
22 Jun 2022
Quests are dog shit. PSVR2 is the best VR headset to date, hands down. The adaptive triggers are, outside of the screen, the best feature of the headset. That pressure when squeezing the trigger is jizztastic.

What was the reason Sony skipped it? The interface couldn't handle it? A strategic decision to push people towards Playstation?

I just hope that I can play the VR games forever and there's someway of downloading them to save for prosperity and I don't have to rely on Sony. It'll be a real fucking shame if that device and those games disappear to the aether.
Yeah. At this point I’ll take anything that keeps ver afloat.

• Shake
Reactions: xollowsob

ApolloHelios

2 Jul 2022
Lacking features are due to SteamVR and Open XR currently not supporting those as there haven't been any need till now. People will add some or all of those outside the official driver channels in time but it's the games that should support them so mods are need as well.

HDR in Windows is a hell all in its own in general, I don't support this Sony hate simply because they leave devs on PC to figure shit on their own and not waste time beyond giving an adapter in an okay price range and basic functionality.

In its basic functionality, PS VR2 is still wonderful with its resolution, pixel per degree, FoV and true black OLED panel. Stop this hate train people.

xollowsob

Veteran
6 Jan 2024
Lacking features are due to SteamVR and Open XR currently not supporting those as there haven't been any need till now. People will add some or all of those outside the official driver channels in time but it's the games that should support them so mods are need as well.

HDR in Windows is a hell all in its own in general, I don't support this Sony hate simply because they leave devs on PC to figure shit on their own and not waste time beyond giving an adapter in an okay price range and basic functionality.

In its basic functionality, PS VR2 is still wonderful with its resolution, pixel per degree, FoV and true black OLED panel. Stop this hate train people.
I ain't hating, PSVR2 is 10/10 be headset, but PSVR2 without adaptive triggers and HDR is like pizza with no cheese. It's still aight, but lacks that extra something something.

ApolloHelios

2 Jul 2022
I ain't hating, PSVR2 is 10/10 be headset, but PSVR2 without adaptive triggers and HDR is like pizza with no cheese. It's still aight, but lacks that extra something something.
As I said, iVRy and others would probably add some of those in time to hw functionality but mods are necessary on the game side as well, but when there's a will there's a way. For example Control had HDR added by one of the devs but outside of official channels with a mod that he made on his own time and continued to support. There will be mods hacking HDR into some games with cult following even if the official driver doesn't support it because that is what PC is. Headset rumble is too niche as there haven't been anything like it before but adaptive trigger functionality might be added with hacking from DualSense supported games into VR titles with mods as well.

Reactions: ToTTenTranz

Muddasar

Veteran
22 Jun 2022
Pretty obvious the missing features are because the games don’t support it.

Full feature supported PSVR2 games were made from ground up for the PSVR2.

Maybe developers can release updates for these games on PC.

I wonder if Sony can get all PSVR1 games working too with these features disabled.

Very likely the case. Will Sony do it? Highly doubt it.

ApolloHelios

2 Jul 2022
There are no PC VR headsets that support HDR, currently it's not a thing in Steam VR software AND there's just no VR games that support it too (obviously because no hw ever supported it).

As I said before and like to iterate, the OLED panel even without HDR is really high resolution, high pixel per degrees, high FoV and true blacks at it's basic functionality. People on PC will buy PS VR2 now if they want to try VR with its reduced price of Days of Play. Some of those might even buy a console to play VR exclusive games since high quality VR game releases are far in between. And I just want to play Alyx on VR2 so I'll be getting the adaptor.

Puff

Veteran
10 Jan 2023

What is this disrespect from Sony towards PlayStation fans? Sony is currently walking on very thin ice.

• they're_right_you_know
Reactions: JAHGamer

Danja

Veteran
Icon Extra
10 Mar 2023
Sony: PSVR2
Maybe some guys here won't like it....

But it is the first step to try to save PSVR2.
It basically failed on PS5.

Now the second step is to support with more killer games.
PC sales will help to grow the platform and developer support.
People already struggling to buy a PS5 and they thought a peripheral was gonna sell well at $550?

It should have never been made

xor

29 Sep 2022
It’d be one thing if they said “HDR and foveated rendering are supported by the adapter hardware but not currently available for use in PC games due to limitations in SteamVR”.
Instead their phrasing makes it seem like these omissions are permanent and deliberate, which makes it unappealing for me.

mibu no ookami

Veteran
21 Feb 2024
Shaggy Rogers is an unapologetic Xbot. Ask him how Xbox’s VR unit is doing, and how it’s benefitting from any Half Life, lol.
How he still has a job at IGN, is beyond absurd.

He's such a blatant fanboy. There is definitely something interesting going on in gaming right now, where the online discourse doesn't match the results.

You'll see weeks upon weeks of hate for Sony followed by Circana data showing PS5 is dominating, the dual sense edge is dominating, the PS Portal is dominating. You look at Steam and and the publisher with the highest selling games is Sony.

Sony doesn't have the best software lineup for the year, but they're slated to have the best year by far and we haven't even seen the PS5 Pro yet.

2025 might be one of their strongest years to date with the PS5 Pro and GTA6.

People have to bend over backwards to create a narrative that somehow Sony is doing worse this generation when they're doing significantly better. So much better that the Xbox as a brand is entirely diminished and has become a 3rd party publisher.

At least half the people who are exiting the Xbox ecosystem are jumping into PlayStation in the US. PS5 is outpacing PS4 and PS3 in Japan. The PS4 just climbed up over PS5 in the UK so the margin there is small. The only place PS5 is significantly behind is in Europe proper and its where the PS5 has seen the biggest price hike.

Everyone knows Europe is the strongest market for PlayStation relative to competitors. Those sales are coming.

mibu no ookami

Veteran
21 Feb 2024
It’d be one thing if they said “HDR and foveated rendering are supported by the adapter hardware but not currently available for use in PC games due to limitations in SteamVR”.
Instead their phrasing makes it seem like these omissions are permanent and deliberate, which makes it unappealing for me.

You don't generally throw your business partners under the water. It's not great practice.

Whether it is permanent or not, time will tell. If it isn't appealing to you, don't buy it..., problem solved right?

Shmunter

Veteran
22 Jul 2022
Honestly, get fucked. What a waste of fucking plastic, let alone time and resources.
No HDR, eye tracking or adaptive triggers?!? The thing that makes PSVR2 better than everything else? Get to fuck Sony.

Either go balls to wall and push PSVR2 on PC with full features, or don't bother. Half-arsed fucks.
I wager eye tracking and adaptive triggers are an api matter, and since the Sony libraries do not exist on pc, neither can the feature - perhaps future games could do it.

Lack of HDR seems bizzare.

ToTTenTranz

Veteran
Icon Extra
4 Aug 2023

The adapter is probably just putting power through USB-PD, a USB3 data connection and a display port 1.4 signal into USB-C.
The PS5's SoC actually outputs the framebuffer in DisplayPort which is then converted to HDMI for the TV through an external chip, or not converted at all for PSVR2.
The stuff for eye tracking is just data that gets passed through USB3 as well as the haptics on the headset itself.

It's all just a reverse of what we find on cheap USB-C hubs with DisplayPort and standard to the connection. I doubt Sony went so far as to implement some hardware that limits any capability on the headset.

I think it's just Sony not putting enough manpower to develop the software that would enable that functionality on Windows. Some features would be worthless to implement until there's enough SteamVR games that justify the effort, like eye-tracking for foveated rendering.

Missing HDR is the real problem for me. The only high-end headset with an AMOLED screen and we're missing "true blacks" is such a missed opportunity.

ApolloHelios

2 Jul 2022
The adapter is probably just putting power through USB-PD, a USB3 data connection and a display port 1.4 signal into USB-C.
The PS5's SoC actually outputs the framebuffer in DisplayPort which is then converted to HDMI for the TV through an external chip, or not converted at all for PSVR2.
The stuff for eye tracking is just data that gets passed through USB3 as well as the haptics on the headset itself.

It's all just a reverse of what we find on cheap USB-C hubs with DisplayPort and standard to the connection. I doubt Sony went so far as to implement some hardware that limits any capability on the headset.

I think it's just Sony not putting enough manpower to develop the software that would enable that functionality on Windows. Some features would be worthless to implement until there's enough SteamVR games that justify the effort, like eye-tracking for foveated rendering.

Missing HDR is the real problem for me. The only high-end headset with an AMOLED screen and we're missing "true blacks" is such a missed opportunity.
Correct. And HDR can be enabled on display through drivers as well (if game supports it or not is another matter, to be solved by mods most likely). Quoting a VR guy in the other place:
PSVR2 requires DSC to enter VR mode, it's the entire reason the iVRY drivers took so long because the headset didn't report the DSC parameters and there's no way in Windows to force them. The latest headset firmware update now reports those parameters so it's much easier to get working on PC.
Now iVRy driver with his own prototype adapter outputs HDR to the display, and this guy is selling his own adapter at much higher premium price along with VirtualLink adapter necessary for his version. Basically newer GPUs don't have VL port and his version needs it. Sony one doesn't need that and connects to any DP 1.4 on most GPUs, but needs DCS for passing through HDR at high FPS that the display natively runs at.

What happened most probably is that they didn't bother with all the feature implementation on their official drivers that they will release and likely leave at v1.0 for ever simply because there aren't any HDR VR games and VR displays on the PC side, and so few of eye tracking VR games and again so few of VR HMDs in the market. I know of only Vive Pro Eye that tracks user eyes, and I haven't played the only game I know of that actually uses it and that is VR chat. People make a nothing burger out of this whole issue, it's like chicken and egg scenario where games don't exist to warrant hw support from a company that isn't in PC business. Going forward there may be precedent for hw to actually exist so then the support will also come in one form or another.

HDR on Windows, in apps or games is another issue to begin with and I for one am happy we at least get basic functionality this soon and considerably cheap and that Sony isn't actually putting so many people and manpower behind this endeavor. Outside devs, modders will always tinker and get results anyway...