the PS5 slim looks breakable and cheap

Etifilio

27 Jun 2023
it's a very big downgrade compared to the fat model, the fact that they don't include a stand annoys me for a console that commonly will end up being used vertically and these feet that they included on the box for horizontal use are laughable to say the mininmum

OP
OP
Etifilio

Etifilio

27 Jun 2023
i really hope PS5 Pro doesn't have this treatement, they better include a vertical/horizontal stand in the box just like the Fat model

• they're_right_you_know
Reactions: JAHGamer

JAHGamer

Veteran
8 May 2023
No vertical stand is one of the dumbest console design decisions EVER. And the poor excuse of a horizontal stand that it comes with looks so cheap and flimsy. Sony really dropped the ball with that.

Besides those flaws, I think the slim looks decent but not as good as the OG PS5. It's still unfortunate that even the disk PS5 requires internet to enable the disk. I understand for the diskless one, but the one that comes with the disk drive shouldn't require it 😕

OP
OP
Etifilio

Etifilio

27 Jun 2023
No vertical stand is one of the dumbest console design decisions EVER. And the poor excuse of a horizontal stand that it comes with looks so cheap and flimsy. Sony really dropped the ball with that.

Besides those flaws, I think the slim looks decent but not as good as the OG PS5. It's still unfortunate that even the disk PS5 requires internet to enable the disk. I understand for the diskless one, but the one that comes with the disk drive shouldn't require it 😕
the disc version looks weird, the curvature to the disc drive is not as soft as the fat one, so it looks like a cheap clone, it looks strange, not to mention that the top faceplates are in white piano instead of matt (matt in my opinion look more premium), i don't even like the glossy black part in the fat one, would be better if it was matt imo
F8GMWEAWoAAJ8m5.jpg

JAHGamer

Veteran
8 May 2023
the disc version looks weird, the curvature to the disc drive is not as soft as the fat one, so it looks like a cheap clone, it looks strange, not to mention that the top faceplates are in white piano instead of matt (matt in my opinion look more premium), i don't even like the glossy black part in the fat one, would be better if it was matt imo
It's the white plates, that color makes everything look uglier. Idk why Sony went with whites, it looks bad, I guess to sell more plates.

With plates, especially mixing different colors, the ps5 slim looks 10000x better. The silver/gray plates on the PS5 slim look amazing. And I have black plates on my original disk PS5, also looks 10000x better than the white fat ps5.

image.png
image.png

image.png

OP
OP
Etifilio

Etifilio

27 Jun 2023
It's the white plates, that color makes everything look uglier. Idk why Sony went with whites, it looks bad, I guess to sell more plates.

With plates, especially mixing different colors, the ps5 slim looks 10000x better. The silver/gray plates on the PS5 slim look amazing. And I have black plates on my original disk PS5, also looks 10000x better than the white fat ps5.

image.png
image.png

image.png
still think the fat one looks better, don't know but something about the slim model makes it look cheap, thankfully the Pro will have a more Premium treatment, it has to

Zzero

Major Tom
9 Jan 2023
I wasn't a fan of the original (disk drive version) shape but did think it fit in in a certain type of house. This thing (disk version, again) just looks bad, I echo the person above who says it looks like a cheap knockoff. Real Nintendo Polystation vibes coming off of it.

Having said that, ascetics of the console itself is probably the least important thing about a video game device.

Reactions: KvallyX

FatKaz

Veteran
16 Jul 2022
I found that to be the case with the PS3 aswell, fat and slim felt way more premium then the final slim model with that awful manual disc loader.

Sony are struggling to get the cost down, so can't blame them for cheaping out on things that won't effect reliability.

Reactions: Etifilio

ToTTenTranz

Icon Extra
4 Aug 2023
I found that to be the case with the PS3 aswell, fat and slim felt way more premium then the final slim model with that awful manual disc loader.

Sony are struggling to get the cost down, so can't blame them for cheaping out on things that won't effect reliability.

The first versions of consoles often use less mature technologies like modern fab processes, so the whole hardware tends to be overengineered.
That's why the first PS4s and PS4 Pros had louder fans, the first PS5 used an enormous heatsink, etc.

The budget proportion for everything that doesn't go into the PCB tends to go down, when they want to lower the cost.