The PSP finished with over 82.5 million consoles sold according to Shawn Layden

Johnic

Veteran
24 Mar 2023
Outer Heaven
That's pretty good. An excellent little machine. Bought it to just play Metal Gear Solid Portable Ops and ended up with quite a few games on it. Loved it.

Reactions: Box

flaccidsnake

Veteran
2 May 2023
Great fucking system with 2 original GTAs, 2 original Metal Gears, 2 great Syphon Filter games that revived Bend Studio. Many underrated original first party games like Jeanne D'arc, Field Commander, and Pursuit Force. Shoutout to Killzone Liberation, an incredible isometric action game which had online coop patched in a year after release. If only the fucking thing had 2 analog sticks, it could've done even better.

OP
OP
Evilms

Evilms

Graph Master
21 Jun 2022
Already publicly known.

Edit: And congratulations to Shawna on his transition.
The latest official sales figures from Sony were 76.4 million (as at March 31, 2012).
we knew that she had finished her career at 82 million according to an old ign interview, but no further details were given.
now it's clearer.

OP
OP
Evilms

Evilms

Graph Master
21 Jun 2022
F7J7wvZaMAApKuX

82.523.607 units

Danja1187

Veteran
10 Mar 2023
The fact their first portable came sorta close to 100 million sold is crazy. Such a different time, back when the brand could do no wrong.

Minus a few designs shortcomings, probably would be the greatest portable of all time, othe than the Switch..

Reactions: Evilms

Systemshock2023

Veteran
8 May 2023
Maybe pound for pound the most advanced console system of all time. Only the Dreamcast in 1998 can compare.

That's why I laugh when folks say that console gaming has not reached a plateau. Sony managed to sell 82M of these alongside PS2 and PS3.

24 Jun 2022
Maybe pound for pound the most advanced console system of all time. Only the Dreamcast in 1998 can compare.

That's why I laugh when folks say that console gaming has not reached a plateau. Sony managed to sell 82M of these alongside PS2 and PS3.

Think you meant to say: "That's why I laugh when folks say that console gaming has reached a plateau."? 82 million PSPs is nothing to sneeze at, that's more than most Gameboys have ever sold and about in line with the 3DS which is considered a success (after an initially slow start).

What we really wanna know are the Vita's numbers; very difficult to get official ones. I've seen sources say it sold 16 million up through 2016/2017 but Sony themselves stopped giving numbers at around 4 million IIRC.

With the Steam Deck being such a success, you would think Sony would make an actual Playstation Portable.

The Steam Deck is doing nowhere near PSP numbers, let alone Switch's. It's "successful" in the confines of a portable handheld gaming PC, but that's a very niche market segment compared to an actual mainstream, mass-market gaming portable (with volume to match).

I do think a new PlayStation Portable would've been a better idea than, say, the PS Portal, but only if it were at PS4-level performance and sold as something to play PS4 games on the go, and stream PS5 games via Remote Play and cloud (PS+). They can never go back to supporting two wholly independent content pipelines for two systems simultaneously, it's just not financially feasible.

Even Nintendo can't justify it, and their games cost much cheaper than Sony's to make, on average.

Systemshock2023

Veteran
8 May 2023
Think you meant to say: "That's why I laugh when folks say that console gaming has reached a plateau."? 82 million PSPs is nothing to sneeze at, that's more than most Gameboys have ever sold and about in line with the 3DS which is considered a success (after an initially slow start).

No. I meant what I wrote down. Units sold peaked in the 6/7th generation of you combine home consoles and portables.

NIntendo had to kill their home consoles and Sony their portables later, they just focus on a single product.

John Elden Ring

The Thread Maker
Content Creator
5 Jul 2022
United States
it's a tiny niche.

More because there's still potential in the portable market, but Sony gave up after the Vita.

2 Million sold in a year isn't much of a success

The Steam Deck is a success; for a non globalized, proton based device that requires tweaking and that's from a company who tried to join the console market and failed spetacularly, 2 million is a lot. It's no surprise Lenovo, ROG, Razer tried to make their own versions.

JAHGamer

Veteran
8 May 2023
That was a completely different era before mobile gaming and before the Switch revolution. Console gaming is still booming and far from plateauing. Revenues for Nintendo and PlayStation have never been higher.

Alabtrosmyster

Veteran
26 Jun 2022
No. I meant what I wrote down. Units sold peaked in the 6/7th generation of you combine home consoles and portables.

NIntendo had to kill their home consoles and Sony their portables later, they just focus on a single product.
PS3+360 = 160 million units (the PS2 alone was close to this)
PS4 + One = roughly 160 million units as well.

I did not put Nintendo's stuff because it makes things very hard to align, still the Wii, 3DS and Switch sold boat load and they probably would make the difference.

I think we will end up with similar total numbers of consoles sold when it comes to PS5 + Series consoles.

So I think your assessment is fair.

JAHGamer

Veteran
8 May 2023
PSP still the greatest handheld of all time, much better than the Switch, DS, 3DS, Steam Deck, ROG Ally, and sadly even the Vita.

I bought this primarily for Kingdom Hearts Birth By Sleep and ended up playing on it more than any of my home consoles.

• haha
Reactions: Zzero

KiryuRealty

Cambridge Dictionary High Priest of Grammar
28 Nov 2022
Where it’s at.
More because there's still potential in the portable market, but Sony gave up after the Vita.

The Steam Deck is a success; for a non globalized, proton based device that requires tweaking and that's from a company who tried to join the console market and failed spetacularly, 2 million is a lot. It's no surprise Lenovo, ROG, Razer tried to make their own versions.
Sony gave up because the Vita failed, and I say that as someone who bought a new one last year.

Why should Sony follow an expensive failure with another one?

Reactions: Box
OP
OP
Evilms

Evilms

Graph Master
21 Jun 2022
Code:
+--------+-------------------------+-----------+
|  Rank  | Popular Handheld System |    LTD    |    
+--------+-------------------------+-----------+
|    1   |   Nintendo DS           |   154.02  |