The Russo Bros discuss The Last of Us 2

Status
Not open for further replies.

nominedomine

Banned
8 Jul 2022
and yet, so many people were outraged anyway :unsure:
Many people were outraged at Death Stranding, at MGS2, at FFVIIR, so what? Seems like those prone to outrage have consistently bad taste.

Right now some people are up in arms about TLoU Part I, gives me confidence it's going to be another banger.

OP
OP
Remember_Spinal

Remember_Spinal

Ah, my back!
23 Jun 2022
Many people were outraged at Death Stranding, at MGS2, at FFVIIR, so what?

Those games also subverted expectations

People went in expecting one experience and got a completely different one. Whether or not you feel thats a good thing is up to you, but thats literally the definition.

nominedomine

Banned
8 Jul 2022

People went in expecting one experience and got a completely different one. Whether or not you feel thats a good thing is up to you, but thats literally the definition.
Imagine how boring a TLoU Part 2 game would've been if they did not try to shake things up a little bit, what game were these people after anyway?

OP
OP
Remember_Spinal

Remember_Spinal

Ah, my back!
23 Jun 2022
Imagine how boring a TLoU Part 2 game would've been if they did not try to shake things up a little bit, what game were these people after anyway?

Exactly. People wanted joel and ellie travel to New York (also, joel can only die a heroic death)

They got a fuck joel, Ellie’s evil now, and now you play as their killer. Enjoy

OP
OP
Remember_Spinal

Remember_Spinal

Ah, my back!
23 Jun 2022
We played as the killer in the first game already. :coffee:

Excited John Cena GIF by WWE

• brain
Reactions: nominedomine

kyliethicc

Knack Ambassador
21 Jun 2022

Nope. Subversion is undermining the authority or legitimacy, usually of a system or institution.

Subversion (from Latin subvertere 'overthrow') refers to a process by which the values and principles of a system in place are contradicted or reversed in an attempt to transform the established social order and its structures of power, authority, hierarchy, and social norms. Subversion can be described as an attack on the public morale and, "the will to resist intervention are the products of combined political and social or class loyalties which are usually attached to national symbols.

Its not the same thing as just a surprise.

You can’t start a political revolution by saying peek-a-boo. Surprise doesn’t equal subvert.

Stories surprise, sure, but it’s silly and wrong to pretend they undermine and transform established social norms.

OP
OP
Remember_Spinal

Remember_Spinal

Ah, my back!
23 Jun 2022
Nope. Subversion is undermining the authority or legitimacy, usually of a system or institution.

Its not the same thing as just a surprise.

You can’t start a political revolution by saying peek-a-boo. Surprise doesn’t equal subvert.

Stories surprise, sure, but it’s silly and wrong to pretend they undermine and transform established social norms.

Not that is just the secluded definition of subversion, not the literary definition of the phrase.

“Subverting expectations” is a literary term and technique that has to do with using plot twists in a story to surprise and challenge an audience

ethomaz

Rebolation!
21 Jun 2022
Brasil 🇧🇷
PSN ID
ethomaz
Reinstalled it a few months ago. Still can’t bring myself to finish it. I don’t mind playing as Ellie, but I was more invested in Joel and was a more personal story for me.
The game shines ate Abby campaign...
In both character development and gameplay.

ethomaz

Rebolation!
21 Jun 2022
Brasil 🇧🇷
PSN ID
ethomaz
Many people were outraged at Death Stranding, at MGS2, at FFVIIR, so what? Seems like those prone to outrage have consistently bad taste.

Right now some people are up in arms about TLoU Part I, gives me confidence it's going to be another banger.
You know the most funny thing will be when TLOU2 relaunches on PS5 and PC and everybody start to loves it :D
Happened with a lot of games that were hated at first release.

• they're_right_you_know
Reactions: nominedomine

kyliethicc

Knack Ambassador
21 Jun 2022
Its how I’ve been taught to talk about writing
It’s like saying “integrate my calories” instead of just saying “eat”

You know the most funny thing will be when TLOU2 relaunches on PS5 and PC and everybody start to loves it :D
Happened with a lot of games that were hated at first release.
It wasn’t hated by many. It won more publicly fan voted GOTYs than any other game in history.

Most people who play it love or at least appreciate the game.

Last edited:
  • thinking_hard
Reactions: ethomaz

Katajx

8 Jul 2022
The first Last of Us game was the most one of the most overrated games I ever played.

The second one seems to top that in almost every regard. I don’t understand why people can’t seem to accept that it’s okay to have a differing opinion.

On a technical level it is a very well made game. I don’t like Naughty Dog’s shooting mechanics or the combat mostly in general.

This isn’t unique to the Last of Us. I don’t enjoy almost all of Sony’s cinematic games.

Production value is always there. They usually tell a story that to me feels more like a movie. These western almost Hollywood like stories aren’t my cup of tea. It’s not what I look for in a game, but it’s okay for the people that do.

I don’t enjoy point and click or adventure games, but they have their audience as well.

Status
Not open for further replies.