The "significant majority" of Diablo 4 players "haven't finished the game yet"

John Elden Ring

The Thread Maker
Content Creator
5 Jul 2022
United States
384ef79f0cb8df5c7e8bab11936c8f9551b507cb-scaled.jpg

That's according to Diablo 4's game director, Joe Shely, who confirmed on a recent fireside chat that whilst it may feel as though players are rocketing through the story campaign, the truth is that most players are taking their time, albeit "playing through content much more quickly".

"The significant majority of our players haven't finished the game yet," Shely said in the livestreamed discussion. "But many of the people who are watching this stream, and our dedicated players, play through content much more quickly and have been experiencing this situation with the dungeons."

As spotted by PC Gamer, Shely mentions the latter point in reference to Diablo 4's nightmare dungeons, which are proving to be exactly that - nightmarish to complete.

Consequently, despite being an endgame activity, most players are instead choosing to grind in the normal side dungeons instead. This has prompted Blizzard to ease the difficulty on the nightmare variant, as well as improve the XP rewards in a bid to tempt us away from the easier normal dungeons.

Summer Nightmares

12 Jan 2023
Can't this translate to absolutely every other game? If you look at trophies for finishing a game even in the easiest difficulty only a handful of players have it. Most people don't finish their games, they just move to another.

Gediminas

Boy...
Founder
21 Jun 2022
Can't this translate to absolutely every other game? If you look at trophies for finishing a game even in the easiest difficulty only a handful of players have it. Most people don't finish their games, they just move to another.
Not Playstation games. Those has usually have huge numbers completed some even platinumed.

Summer Nightmares

12 Jan 2023
Not Playstation games. Those has usually have huge numbers completed some even platinumed.

Interesting, that is not what I saw but I only checked a few games and they were around 20% , I'm going to take a look later since I love going for trophies.

Gediminas

Boy...
Founder
21 Jun 2022
Interesting, that is not what I saw but I only checked a few games and they were around 20% , I'm going to take a look later since I love going for trophies.
20% is pretty good.
For example, Forspoken, 36% finished the game.
God of War R was 46%? Etc..

Vertigo

Did you show the Darkness what Light can do?
26 Jun 2022
Diablo tracked as high as number 4 for a day. Now ranked 7th on XBL. This is somewhat an alarming drop off for gargantuan release as this as it’s happening with some quickness.

Actually I have my criticisms that’s it’s underperformed on Xbox despite the Series X bundle shilling every gamer YouTuber doing sponsored ads for it. I honestly thought it should’ve taken the no. 1 spot for a minute. I do also have my doubts on what its reach actually is for console vs pc.

Then again… Phil wants Activision for PlayStation money. There’s some more proof.

Gediminas

Boy...
Founder
21 Jun 2022
384ef79f0cb8df5c7e8bab11936c8f9551b507cb-scaled.jpg

That's according to Diablo 4's game director, Joe Shely, who confirmed on a recent fireside chat that whilst it may feel as though players are rocketing through the story campaign, the truth is that most players are taking their time, albeit "playing through content much more quickly".

As spotted by PC Gamer, Shely mentions the latter point in reference to Diablo 4's nightmare dungeons, which are proving to be exactly that - nightmarish to complete.

Consequently, despite being an endgame activity, most players are instead choosing to grind in the normal side dungeons instead. This has prompted Blizzard to ease the difficulty on the nightmare variant, as well as improve the XP rewards in a bid to tempt us away from the easier normal dungeons.
Checked Playstation and this is not the case.

So PC and Xbox doesn't finish the game by massively huge margin, like 99%.