The State of Possibilities: Discussing Diversification in PlayStation's Live-Service Games

Heisenberg007

Veteran
21 Jun 2022
"We're also diversifying now. And we have stood up 12 projects in total in the live ops multiplayer space." -- Hermen Hulst.

This is Sony's first serious heads-first dive into multiplayer and live-service games, with up to 12 games in development. Some of these games will be revealed next Wednesday. I wanted to take this team and speculate on how Sony will ensure that these games are diverse enough and that not all of them end up looking like a generic first-person shooters.

How do you want these live-service games to differ from each other?

Here are 12 games in development that we know about. There must be more unannounced:
  • The Last of Us Online
  • Horizon Multiplayer
  • Twisted Metal
  • Firewalk's new IP
  • Insomniac's new IP
  • London Studio's sci-fi fantasy game
  • Haven Studios
  • Deviation Games (in trouble and may not release)
  • Arrowheads's Helldivers 2
  • Firewall Ultra
  • Project Ooze (reportedly by People Can Fly)
  • Bungie's Matter
Some of these games are obviously very different from each other (TLOU/Horizon), but others may end up looking very similar, e.g., Project Ooze and Helldivers. Similarly, Firewalk's, Bungie's, and Deviation's.

Here is my wish for how some of these games turn out and set them apart from their peers - just to show what I mean.
  • TLOU Online -- A survival, base-building, open-world game, much like GTA online with obviously very different tone and gameplay mechanics.
  • Horizon Multiplayer -- Similar to Monster Hunter World and Rise with a hub. You hunt machines, craft better gear, and your main hub.
  • Twisted Metal -- Mad Max online.
  • Firewalk's IP -- I hope it's a boots-on-ground multiplayer game, but I think it will be sci-fi. Old-school Call of Duty.
  • Arrowhead -- I hope it turns out to be a spiritual successor of Titanfall 2. It had similar types of machines. And in the 3rd person POV, those machines may end up looking very similar to Titans.
Anyway, the main question:

HOW DO YOU want these live-service games to differ from each other?

Nhomnhom

Veteran
25 Mar 2023
Destiny
TLoU Factions
Gran Turismo
MLB
Firewall Ultra
Helldivers 2

The ones we actually know about are all very different from each other.

Ezekiel

Veteran
21 Jun 2022
Great games that have multiplayer elements, but still fun to play solo.

Hoping they're not too greedy in their monetization.

A Last of Us coop PvE mode could really be sick. Mix of infected and human AI enemies, plotting how to take them down with a couple of buddies.

I really enjoyed Legends mode for Ghost of Tsushima. Even without mics, the group could coordinate and effectively kill the enemies and defend the bases.

I personally don't care for Destiny, I tried it and it just didn't stick with me. I found it way too repetitive and the gameplay loop didn't make up for it.

AshHunter216

Banned
8 Jan 2023
This is Sony's first serious heads-first dive into multiplayer and live-service games, with up to 12 games in development. Some of these games will be revealed next Wednesday. I wanted to take this team and speculate on how Sony will ensure that these games are diverse enough and that not all of them end up looking like a generic first-person shooters.

Here are 12 games in development that we know about. There must be more unannounced:
  • The Last of Us Online
  • Horizon Multiplayer
  • Twisted Metal
  • Firewalk's new IP
  • Insomniac's new IP
  • London Studio's sci-fi fantasy game
  • Haven Studios
  • Deviation Games (in trouble and may not release)
  • Arrowheads's Helldivers 2
  • Firewall Ultra
  • Project Ooze (reportedly by People Can Fly)
  • Bungie's Matter
Some of these games are obviously very different from each other (TLOU/Horizon), but others may end up looking very similar, e.g., Project Ooze and Helldivers. Similarly, Firewalk's, Bungie's, and Deviation's.

Here is my wish for how some of these games turn out and set them apart from their peers - just to show what I mean.
  • TLOU Online -- A survival, base-building, open-world game, much like GTA online with obviously very different tone and gameplay mechanics.
  • Horizon Multiplayer -- Similar to Monster Hunter World and Rise with a hub. You hunt machines, craft better gear, and your main hub.
  • Twisted Metal -- Mad Max online.
  • Firewalk's IP -- I hope it's a boots-on-ground multiplayer game, but I think it will be sci-fi. Old-school Call of Duty.
  • Arrowhead -- I hope it turns out to be a spiritual successor of Titanfall 2. It had similar types of machines. And in the 3rd person POV, those machines may end up looking very similar to Titans.
Anyway, the main question:

HOW DO YOU want these live-service games to differ from each other?
Is project Ooze live service? I thought that was rumored to be a mass effect style rpg?

Vertigo

Did you show the Darkness what Light can do?
26 Jun 2022
I expect absolutely everything to fail except for Last of Us Online and whatever Bungie makes along with gran tourismo and the show.

• fire
Reactions: Killer_Sakoman

Johnic

Veteran
24 Mar 2023
Outer Heaven
This is what it feels like. And they hope something sticks.

Miss Fail GIF by G2 Esports

• they're_right_you_know
Reactions: KnittedKnight

Danja1187

Veteran
10 Mar 2023
I don't expect most of these games to succeed. It's kinda crazy how were so slow to lockdown Fall Guys and Rocket League when they had the chance.

The PS3 era really was ahead of its time. Uncharted 3 Multiplayer basically was a successful GaaS game and they left it to die instead of overhauling it for PS4 and turning and merging UC4 content into it.

Warkawk, MAG, Socom, Mod Nation Racers, Little Big Planet 2... All had potential.

If they don't botch The Last of Us Online, I expect great things.

Last edited:

kyliethicc

Knack Ambassador
21 Jun 2022
sports - GT, MLB

VR FPS - Firewall

sci-fi co-op shooter - Destiny, Helldivers, Firewalk

PvP shooter - Matter?

car combat - Twisted Metal, Destruction Allstars

co-op action - The Last of Us, Horizon, Ghost Legends, London (probably Insomniac)

and then whatever Haven is doing

Bend’s multiplayer game might be live too who knows

AshHunter216

Banned
8 Jan 2023
sports - GT, MLB

VR FPS - Firewall

sci-fi co-op shooter - Destiny, Helldivers, Firewalk

PvP shooter - Matter?

car combat - Twisted Metal, Destruction Allstars

co-op action - The Last of Us, Horizon, Ghost Legends, London (probably Insomniac)

and then whatever Haven is doing

Bend’s multiplayer game might be live too who knows
Bend's game is supposedly a game with a single and multiplayer mode.

Yurinka

Veteran
VIP
21 Jun 2022

Fixed list with my guesses:

PS Studios (the 10/12 GaaS list of games to be released until 2026)
  • MLB: Sony's baseball x FIFA
  • Gran Turismo 7: racing sim GaaS
  • TLOU Online: MP TLOU x The Division
  • Firewall Ultra: VR MP FPS GaaS
  • Firewalk's new IP: Sony's scifi Halo x CoD
  • Arrowhead's game (Helldivers 2?): Helldivers x Sony's Gears of War
  • Firesprite game (Twisted Metal?): car battles GaaS
  • London Studio's new IP: fantasy in London x Overwatch
  • Bend's new IP: open world team based PvPvE with hordes (no zombies) of CPU enemies GaaS
  • Haven's new IP: Sony's Animal Crossing x Sims x Fortnite x Minecraft
  • Horizon multiplayer: Monster Hunter x Horizon x Fortnite
  • Deviation's new IP: Sony's CoD x Apex Legends (probably cancelled)
Bungie (more GaaS until 2026)
  • Destiny 2: Sony/Bungie's GaaS Halo (upcoming content until late 2024)
  • Bungie's new IP #1 (Matter): Sony's Fortnite x GTA Online
  • Bungie's new IP #2 (Marathon?): Hero shooter x Extraction shooter?
Post 2026 GaaS batch (2026-2031)
  • Insomniac's MP new IP
  • New Wipeout by Firesprite (TV+VR combat racing)
  • Ghost of Tsushima Legends sequel (released a year or two after GoT2)
  • Uncharted Online: same as Factions GaaS but with Uncharted (released a year or two after Uncharted 5)
  • Destiny 3
  • Media Molecule's next game (something kids friendly like LBP/Minecraft/Mario/Astro)
  • New Motorstorm by Firesprite (TV+VR combat racing)
Insomniac's new IP
I think Insomniac's multiplayer new IP may be still in early preproduction if they were looking for an art director for it a year ago, so wouldn't be included in the 10/12 GaaS PS Studio IPs that Sony mentioned they plan to release until 2026.

I think this game will release way after 2026.

Ghost Legends
I think GoT2 would release in 2026 or 2027 as a SP only game.

And then, a year or two after that a GaaS GoT Legends standalone MP only game would release outside the "until 2026" line where these 10/12 game are planned to be released.

Last edited:
  • thinking_hard
Reactions: Vertigo

Systemshock2023

Veteran
8 May 2023
If Sony makes a successful twisted metal BR game then this initiative will be worth it. Hopefully they realize that the game has to be F2P and run smooth as butter day one for it to succeed. And with a decent stream of content.

I don't care for generic FPS outside of CSGO and arena shooters.

24 Jun 2022
Personally I think some of them should be cancelled. Deviation's game is most likely cancelled; from that list I think the only ones that should truly be prioritized are Bungie's Matter, Haven's game, TLOU Factions 2, Horizon MP, Twisted Metal. IMO each of these are clearly different enough from each other to have standout variety without too much overlapping. It would also make it easier to keep marketing & production organized alongside each getting more funding.

Also I think it's a good starting number, again with strong variety. A sci-fi game (Bungie's), tribal/fantasy/sci-fi game (Horizon), action-adventure survival horror (TLOU Factions 2), racing (Twisted Metal), and most likely third-person action-platforming adventure (Haven's game). The other live-service ambitions can be served by currently-existing games and IP like MLB The Show, GT7, etc which just happen to also function fully as non live-service, traditional & single-player gaming experiences too.