• PlayStation 5
Trailers:
Developer: Sumo Nottingham

Publisher: Gun Media

Reviews:

Aggregator: OpenCritic - 79 average - 78% recommend

xj9YMte.jpg

IGN - 6/10

The Texas Chain Saw Massacre's less asymmetrical take on the asymmetrical horror genre offers a few entertaining, technically challenged hours of fun.

GamesRadar+

For those migrating away from Friday the 13th: The Game, The Texas Chain Saw Massacre could prove to be a welcoming alternative. While this new multiplayer horror game certainly shows promise, my earliest hours with the family have been hindered by needless friction. It's occasionally thrilling, but often frustrating.

GameSpot - 9/10

The adaptation of one of the scariest movies ever made becomes one of the scariest games I've ever played.

Shacknews - 8/10

The Texas Chain Saw Massacre is a splendid new entry in the asymmetrical multiplayer family. Its recreation of the characters and locations from the 1974 movie is deeply impressive, as it’s abundantly clear that authenticity was a top priority during development. It helps to enhance the exhilarating gameplay, though I do worry about its approachability given the deep systems and mechanics. Regardless, it’s one that I look forward to playing both casually and competitively with friends whenever I want a good scare.

COGconnected - 85/100

Despite The Texas Chain Saw Massacre’s hiccups, I’ve had a blast with it. As a diehard fan of the original film, Sumo Digital’s take on its disturbing universe is faithful, suspenseful, and a hell of a lot of fun. Bear in mind TCM will require a ton of support to maintain an interested player base. But if it gets even half of the love and care that Dead by Daylight receives, it will be a multiplayer staple for years to come. Ladies and gentlemen, start your chainsaws.

PCGamesN - 8/10

The Texas Chain Saw Massacre is a killer game for fans of the asymmetrical horror genre, thanks to its beautiful maps, varied gameplay, and unique 4v3 balance. Faithful to the 1974 movie, this one is a pleasure for horror fans, but whether it can stand the test of time like the film itself remains to be seen.

SVG - 7/10

The Texas Chain Saw Massacre isn't a perfect title, but it still effectively presents a game of cat-and-mouse that can be as terrifying as it is exhilarating.

Prima Games - 8/10

Technical issues aside, I find myself being drawn back into the grips of the Sawyer family more often than I would like to admit. Whether you choose to side with the cruel and sadistic Family, or you decide to step into the shoes of the Victims that they've ruthlessly captured, you're in for a multiplayer experience unlike anything else on the market.

Try Hard Guides - 8/10

Just like with the horror movie genre when the original was released, The Texas Chainsaw Massacre is trying to change the way this type of game is played. It’s a game that can be as tense as it is beautiful, with each match introducing you to something new from the world of the movies. While the balancing isn’t perfect and makes escaping a much harder goal, there’s enough here that asymmetrical horror fans will enjoy.

Multiplayer First - 8.5/10

It’s not a flawless game, but the anguish and thrills that it conveys are almost one of a kind, delivered with confidence and brutality to match the source. This is one for horror aficionados and everyone else who likes a good old-fashioned game of murderer cat, and stealthy mouse.

Gods&Monsters

Veteran
Icon Extra
21 Jun 2022
Surprisingly good reviews but it's a pity it's another multiplayer game. I tried Evil Dead and Back 4 Blood on PS Plus and it couldn't keep my attention.

I need a story with exploration. Solo.

catchew

8 Jun 2023
the beta was fun. until i found out about the licensing deal. its just on that movie alone it hard to predict where it would expand from there content wise. so i cant expect a long life on the game or from the players attention span among a sea of other games specially with dbd being a success with well cemented formula. it does have interesting mechanics and the atmosphere plays it well. i agree it should have had a solo experience.

• brain
Reactions: Gods&Monsters

JAHGamer

Veteran
8 May 2023
Surprisingly good reviews but it's a pity it's another multiplayer game. I tried Evil Dead and Back 4 Blood on PS Plus and it couldn't keep my attention.

I need a story with exploration. Solo.
I agree, a lot of games these days have a good foundation and it's wasted by not having any single player content

• sad
Reactions: Gods&Monsters