The Verge: Microsoft considered acquiring Bungie and Sega to bolster Xbox Game Pass, internal emails show

Nitro

Icon Extra
10 Apr 2023
North Pole
When Sony announced the acquisition of Bungie, Jez Corden entered damage control mode, asserting Microsoft rejected Bungie, not the other way around. He insinuated that Bungie was begging to be acquired by Xbox.

With evidence made public this week, it seems infinitely more likely that Bungie made it clear to Microsoft that all their new IP must remain multiplatform, and Good Guy Phil Spencer™ replied "hell naw".

daniel5043

Veteran
19 Jan 2023
When Sony announced the acquisition of Bungie, Jez Corden entered damage control mode, asserting Microsoft rejected Bungie, not the other way around. He insinuated that Bungie was begging to be acquired by Xbox.

With evidence made public this week, it seems infinitely more likely that Bungie made it clear to Microsoft that all their new IP must remain multiplatform, and Good Guy Phil Spencer™ replied "hell naw".

Also didn't wanna pay the staff retention fee sony did

Vertigo

Did you show the Darkness what Light can do?
26 Jun 2022

Phil attempted to buy Bungie on a yearly basis. He’s a huge fan so I’m pretty sure them preferring to deal with Sony hurt him personally.

shrike0fth0rns

Veteran
9 Dec 2022
Phil attempted to buy Bungie on a yearly basis. He’s a huge fan so I’m pretty sure them preferring to deal with Sony hurt him personally.
Probably exactly what happen. Just look at what’s happening behind the scene with zenimax. They were rope in with the case by case sht then Phil said everything is exclusive and Pete Hines is clearly not full happy with that considering Microsoft is promising some abk games will remain multiplat. Phil wants ip control more than anything. I’m sure not getting bungie stings