[The Verge] Microsoft will keep Call of Duty on PlayStation for ‘several more years’ beyond existing deal

John Elden Ring

The Thread Maker
Content Creator
5 Jul 2022
United States
Microsoft is committing to keeping Call of Duty on PlayStation for “several more years” beyond the existing marketing deal Sony has with Activision. Microsoft Gaming CEO and Xbox chief Phil Spencer made the commitment in a written letter to PlayStation head Jim Ryan earlier this year, and it’s the clearest sign yet that Call of Duty won’t suddenly disappear from PlayStation platforms if Microsoft’s $68.7 billion deal is approved by regulators.

“In January, we provided a signed agreement to Sony to guarantee Call of Duty on PlayStation, with feature and content parity, for at least several more years beyond the current Sony contract, an offer that goes well beyond typical gaming industry agreements,” says Microsoft Gaming CEO Phil Spencer in a statement to The Verge.

Exactly how many years Call of Duty is guaranteed on PlayStation still isn’t crystal clear, but Bloomberg originally reported earlier this year that Microsoft was committed to releasing Call of Duty on PlayStation “for at least the next two years,” suggesting that Sony’s marketing deal for the franchise could expire in 2024. Microsoft then publicly committed in February to keeping Call of Duty “available on PlayStation beyond the existing agreement and into the future.”

More here:

https://www.theverge.com/2022/9/2/2...station-letter-commitment-activision-blizzard

• thinking_hard
Reactions: Bryank75

Dr Bass

The doctor is in
Founder
20 Jun 2022
I like how Phil is trying to sound oh-so magnanimous lol.

Dr Bass

The doctor is in
Founder
20 Jun 2022
I'd like to highlight "for AT LEAST several more years beyond the current Sony contract"
How many times has Phil said something that ended up not being true? Almost everything he says is a lie. He's the George Costanza of the game industry.

• fire
Reactions: Sircaw

ethomaz

Rebolation!
21 Jun 2022
Brasil 🇧🇷
PSN ID
ethomaz
Like I said in others thread if Uncle Phil / MS are really being honest why not sign a contract with Sony instead to do the narrative PR?

Reactions: Ezekiel

DynamiteCop

Banned
2 Jul 2022
"we're not here to take games away from other consoles"

proceeds to have Starfield not release on PS5.

Only someone with a pea brain still believes in this patchouli oil salesman.
When was Starfield announced for a PlayStation console? I'll be waiting.

Dr Bass

The doctor is in
Founder
20 Jun 2022
It's not though, it's pure reality. Unless it was announced for the platform it never existed for the platform therefore nothing was taken away.
Except everyone knows it was in development for PS5, which is why Sony attempted negotiating their own exclusivity deal.

And then Bethesda apologized for needing to take the game away.

There is no way in hell Starfield wasn't coming to the Playstation platform given those negotiations and how much games sell on PS vs Xbox. Again, you're being deliberately obtuse if you don't think you Starfield was removed from the PS platform. I mean give me a break. You know you are being dishonest.

DynamiteCop

Banned
2 Jul 2022
Except everyone knows it was in development for PS5, which is why Sony attempted negotiating their own exclusivity deal.

There is no way in hell Starfield wasn't coming to the Playstation platform given those negotiations and how much games sell on PS vs Xbox. Again, you're being deliberately obtuse if you don't think you Starfield was removed from the PS platform. I mean give me a break. You know you are being dishonest.
No one knows anything, you're speculating. You can also call me dishonest until the cows come home yet the game was never announced for any other platform than Series and PC therefore nothing is being 'taken away' from anyone.

CloudStrife

9 Jul 2022
Is this old, no?
It is from Brazilian docs.
It is old. It's just Tom Warren trying to start up the whole will it be exclusive at some point crap since Phil Spencer made a statement about this a few days ago.

Satoru

Limitless
Founder
20 Jun 2022

Nah, Sony was trying to negotiate exclusivity for a game not being developed for the console.

Also, since VGChartz is now a legit source for those like @DynamiteCop , why not just get data from there? I'm sure Bethesda would have left it's biggest platform out of a "next-gen" game, of course.

Reactions: laynelane

Satoru

Limitless
Founder
20 Jun 2022
Did they not say Bethesda games would also remain multi-plat prior to the acquisition going through?

He said "case by case". Which in patchouli oil salesman speak is "we say whatever we need to fool people into thinking we're the good guys"