The Xbox Series X will now run one of the best retro versions of Windows

Status
Not open for further replies.

Papacheeks

Old Guard
Icon Extra
21 Jun 2022
acastro_210511_1777_xboxRestock_0001.0.jpg

You know what’s cooler than playing modern games on an Xbox Series console? Using Microsoft’s current hardware to emulate Windows 98 and playing retro games
on it. Thankfully, thanks to a combination of RetroArch (a program that’s also let some Xbox users play PlayStation 2 games), a plug-in for it called DOSBox Pure, and a copy of Windows 98, Digital Foundry has shown that it’s possible to do just that. A video released on Saturday shows games like Turok, RollerCoaster Tycoon, and Command & Conquer: Tiberian Sun all running on an Xbox Series X. Digital Foundry even ran traditional apps like Microsoft Paint and Word 97 on the Xbox as well (for that genuine Clippy experience).

Getting all this set up isn’t exactly easy. First, you have to get RetroArch running on your Xbox, which you can do either after activating Developer Mode, which costs $19, or going through a slightly convoluted side-loading process. Be warned: Archades Games, the channel behind the no Dev Mode tutorial, notes that using the latter method does come with the slight (but real) risk of your Xbox Live account getting banned.

For those who like to tinker, and love running retro games like I am currently with Dreamcast Emulator on my laptop, and retro PS1 titles through their service I thought this was pretty cool.

Reactions: Cragarmi
Status
Not open for further replies.