This Activision deal seemingly benefits Xbox gamers in no way

Box

May contain Snake
6 Apr 2023
Everything I’ve read basically states that the catalog of titles will remain multiplatform for the unforeseen future. Putting them on gamepass day one seems to be against the rules of this merger as well. Other than making Microsoft billions of dollars, what does this do for an xbox gamer?

I feel like 90% of the arguments surrounding this from a public perspective is just fanboys trying to score points on "the opposition."

Nhomnhom

Veteran
25 Mar 2023
They get to say "we won!", "we have the biggest revenue!".

I'll just continue my lifelong quest of trying to understand how one becomes an Xbox fan.

Reactions: Edmund

Zzero

Major Tom
9 Jan 2023
Everything I’ve read basically states that the catalog of titles will remain multiplatform for the unforeseen future. Putting them on gamepass day one seems to be against the rules of this merger as well. Other than making Microsoft billions of dollars, what does this do for an xbox gamer?

I feel like 90% of the arguments surrounding this from a public perspective is just fanboys trying to score points on "the opposition."
Where did you read that day one Gamepass was against the rules? Assuming the EU deal is what they are shooting for, they want day one Gamepass but will also allow games to go to any other cloud streaming service that wants to sign an agreement with them. And I don't see why anything other than COD would remain multi-plat (or the Blizzard stuff on PC competitor services.) The jury is out on whether Elder Scrolls will be but Bethesda's other games certainly aren't going to be, going forward so I don't see why stuff like Crash wouldn't be too.

edit: And to counterpoint your argument further, if this deal did exclusivize CoD, how does that benefit Xbox gamers anyway, since they already get CoD. It ends the Sony early DLC deal (does that still even go on? I noped out of CoD after MW2 over a decade ago) but small pickings there.

AshHunter216

Banned
8 Jan 2023
They get to brag about having more of something than Playstation. This deal being approved also opens the door for them to go on to buy a bunch of other publishers and make their output exclusive in a way that really starts to limit the available choices on Playstation.

• sad
Reactions: Gods&Monsters

flaccidsnake

Veteran
2 May 2023
It will negatively affect most players, including of Activision/Blizzard products.

The only positive that could come out of the deal is Blizzard releasing their games on Steam.

24 Jun 2022
Where did you read that day one Gamepass was against the rules? Assuming the EU deal is what they are shooting for, they want day one Gamepass but will also allow games to go to any other cloud streaming service that wants to sign an agreement with them. And I don't see why anything other than COD would remain multi-plat (or the Blizzard stuff on PC competitor services.) The jury is out on whether Elder Scrolls will be but Bethesda's other games certainly aren't going to be, going forward so I don't see why stuff like Crash wouldn't be too.

Crash 4 sold horribly and coincidentally did not have Sony marketing rights. Crash 1-3 remakes sold the majority of their copies on PlayStation; common sense because the fanbase and nostalgia for the IP is on that platform.

An exclusive Crash on Xbox might as well be a dead game; a new Banjo-Kazooie exclusive to the platform has a better chance of being successful. Honestly if they are considering anything with those IP, they should do a BK/Crash/Spyro mega-platformer.

As for anything but COD going exclusive...the honest truth is that the Xbox brand does not have the appeal to make exclusivity of ALL those IP worth it financially. This is a $69 billion deal; making everything but COD exclusive would take decades for Xbox division to recoup those costs in net profits.

This ABK deal is not even for Xbox, primarily; it has always been mainly for Game Pass and mobile. Day 1 of these games on Game Pass will drive down the B2P sales revenue and have no net gain of IAPs for the games in the service, and as long as Game Pass's ARPU remains as low as it is, they would need a gargantuan amount of additional subs to make that route truly profitable, and I kind of doubt they will happen. The year MS closed the Zenimax acquisition sub counts went up by 7 million, then stagnated. Outside of COD I don't think ABK has any IP that are inherently more valuable than the Zenimax's, and I don't think ABK would bring more than 14 million subs.

With the current pricing options MS provides for Game Pass and the assumed $2 billion they generated off the service in 2022, their ARPU is around $82. Let's assume they're "close" to 30 million subscribers right now; 14 million more brings it to 44 million at an ARPU of $82 = $3.6 billion annual Game Pass revenue. That sounds good on the surface but also consider the reduction in B2P sales revenue ABK games will take as a consequence of Day 1 in the service. Consider that those games being Day 1 in the service could lead "power buyers" (aka whales) who would normally be incentivized to purchase those and other games throughout the year, to instead turn to the service for all their game access.

That impacts 3P software sales on the platform; in fact I think there is a rather obvious link here to explain some of the 3P sales collapse on Xbox; the other factor being Day 1 of all games on PC has driven other "whales" in the console ecosystem to migrate to PC and do all their 3P software purchases there (via Steam, e.g) instead, reducing sales. Additionally, mainstream & casuals who'd maybe normally wait for sales to buy games on the cheap, just being content with the service's offerings and thus further impacting B2P sales revenue on Xbox systems.

edit: And to counterpoint your argument further, if this deal did exclusivize CoD, how does that benefit Xbox gamers anyway, since they already get CoD. It ends the Sony early DLC deal (does that still even go on? I noped out of CoD after MW2 over a decade ago) but small pickings there.

Do you remember the CMA's insights that partial foreclosure of COD content on PlayStation platforms would be considered okay? So, while you feel making COD exclusive would be beneficial to stopping Sony's timed DLC deals, you're ignoring that Microsoft would simply do those same practices (and perhaps more) themselves.

And this is just when considering partial foreclosure; you're talking about full foreclosure of the IP on PlayStation, something that I feel if the CMA felt MS were wanting to do from the jump, would have made their decision that much easier to block, considering the platform strength of Xbox in the UK market (generally speaking) and the size of COD as an IP. But they decided to drop console SLC concerns to focus on cloud instead (still produced a similar result to block, and one with more substance to argue in favor of most likely).

Kereke12

Banned
4 May 2023
After the Phil Spencer interview, I have to agree, I feel like they are losing their traction even more and have lost their momentum that got over the years. Imagine if they did get the company, they would treat it far worse than Activision treats itself, especially with COD. If they treat their studios like how they treat Redfall devs then I would assume the worse. They need a complete reboot like Nintendo did with the Nintendo Switch. Something needs to change, they lost me as a customer.

Zzero

Major Tom
9 Jan 2023
An exclusive Crash on Xbox might as well be a dead game; a new Banjo-Kazooie exclusive to the platform has a better chance of being successful. Honestly if they are considering anything with those IP, they should do a BK/Crash/Spyro mega-platformer.
Banjo's market is on Nintendo, still, even 20 years later. See: his reaction to being in Smash U vs anything Microsoft has done with him. I don't know why people assume fans would be happy with a non-Rare Banjo game anyway, Rare fans are always super particular, they like the franchises because of who made them, they won't accept someone else's imitation.

• brain
Reactions: Gods&Monsters
24 Jun 2022
Banjo's market is on Nintendo, still, even 20 years later. See: his reaction to being in Smash U vs anything Microsoft has done with him. I don't know why people assume fans would be happy with a non-Rare Banjo game anyway, Rare fans are always super particular, they like the franchises because of who made them, they won't accept someone else's imitation.

Well, Rare fans don't seem to mind Perfect Dark reboot being made by non-Rare devs, so I'm not sure how true that notion holds. Though, BK's reveal in Smash got huge reaction, that much is true. Then again, every guest character's gotten huge reactions in that series.

Part of the reason Banjo's audience is on Nintendo is probably the same reason most of Sonic's audience is on Nintendo: nostalgia and them being platforming games. But it's been like 15 years since Nuts 'n Bolts; surely Microsoft could've found a dev with interesting ideas for them. Maybe even Playtronic (who are ex-Rare staff) would love to work with the IP again.

And if they're so worried about a whole new game's reception, then just remake the original games. See how the response is to those; if they're faithful and improve on things the original did the fans would love it. But MS's problem is they either don't understand or don't respect segments of their fanbase, maybe both. And they damn sure don't seem to respect their own legacy with past consoles and certain IP. If they don't announce a Banjo-Kazooie remake at the showcase or TGAs it's just going to be another massive self-inflicted wound. Such an easy win for them to remake that game with a solid dev on it, and they have teams internally that could do it. They have relationships with external devs that could probably do it, like the Ravenlok devs.

Like just see if the Ravenlok devs, Playtronic and Double Fine would be able to work together on a Banjo remake. That could be amazing.

Zzero

Major Tom
9 Jan 2023
Well, Rare fans don't seem to mind Perfect Dark reboot being made by non-Rare devs, so I'm not sure how true that notion holds.
I think what you'll actually find is that they aren't talking about it at all. Its a dead IP being handled by outsiders.

And if they're so worried about a whole new game's reception, then just remake the original games. See how the response is to those; if they're faithful and improve on things the original did the fans would love it. But MS's problem is they either don't understand or don't respect segments of their fanbase, maybe both. And they damn sure don't seem to respect their own legacy with past consoles and certain IP. If they don't announce a Banjo-Kazooie remake at the showcase or TGAs it's just going to be another massive self-inflicted wound. Such an easy win for them to remake that game with a solid dev on it, and they have teams internally that could do it. They have relationships with external devs that could probably do it, like the Ravenlok devs.

Like just see if the Ravenlok devs, Playtronic and Double Fine would be able to work together on a Banjo remake. That could be amazing.
Reading between the lines, Playtonic's devs left Rare because they weren't allowed to work on stuff like a new Banjo. In my opinion the ship has sailed, the nostalgia period for a late 90s game series should have been in the mid2010s and Microsoft blew it, those people all have kids now, they're out. Better to hone in on other stuff. They could probably put any competent remake studio on a remake of, at least, 1 and have it work, but I don't know if it will draw sales to Xbox or Gamepass.

Airbus

Veteran
30 Jun 2022
this deal is not happening

you need all four to confirm ( cma, eu, ftc and asia) the aquitition

cma and ftc seems unwilling to acept

Last edited:

riesgoyfortuna

Veteran
4 Jul 2022
It benefits two kinds of xbox users

The cheapasses who are on the resetera ms rewards thread who spend all the Day cheering for a corp and are so miserable to spend 15 bucks a month

The console warriors who want ms to take anything they can from sony to Brag about that

Most the of time the two are the same kind of user

Airbus

Veteran
30 Jun 2022
Sony will become a superpower in the UK. 60m gamers with no competition ( aside from nintendo )

add united states and asia to the list if the other two blocked the same deal