TLOU Part 1 VS TLOU 2 PS4 VS E3 2018 Demo

LED

Twitter Legend
26 Jun 2022
Not sure where to put this thread, but let's begin shall we? Get ready for walls of text! πŸ’“πŸ’πŸ’–πŸ‘€πŸ‘€πŸ‘€πŸ’–πŸ’“πŸ‘€πŸ’πŸ’–πŸ‘€πŸ’πŸ’“πŸ‘€πŸ‘€πŸ‘€πŸ’πŸ’“

Recently after beating TLOU Part 1, I have been noticing there are some quite noticeable graphical upgrades over TLOU 2, especially in the lighting department, it was always noticeable, and that is how consistent every dynamic object & character looked, they didn't look flat like in TLOU 2 most of the time.

By my mere observation, TLOU 2 had a number of graphical attributes it dynamically adjusts based on how heavy a given scene is, while Part 1 on PS5, they're turned on all the time, let's take this scene for instance:

QjmjFYT.jpeg

Dynamic objects & characters looked very flat when in close inspection, it's almost like everyone is flying, well that's because in this scene, SSAO, Capsule Shadows, flashlight shadows (from Ellie) were turned off & had decidedly less Screen-space reflections, there are places where all these attributes were turned on and that resulted in Ellie looking a lot more grounded, she didn't look as flat, also enemy models in TLOU 2 received a huge downgrade from that E3 2018 demo.

EXAMPLES!

No SSAO & no capsule shadows.

bKfpRii.jpg

KOfQDck.jpg

Now with capsule shadows & SSAO

Y02zrcl.jpg

sEnHIvX.jpg

I feel like TLOU Part 1 looks as good or better than the E3 2018, even in the enemy models, looks like they used very high quality models, I'll have 2 examples right here, I am using Photo-mode & used point lights around the enemies to flesh them out just like they were using point lights around them in that demo just to keep it fair, another thing I'd like to add is in TLOU Part 1, every broken window, broken opening, broken door always had a point light shining from them towards you with actual shadows as well, just like in the E3 2018 demo when Ellie hid in that jewelry store, they had point lights scattered across the scene, making the scene look a lot more grounded, in retail TLOU 2, it had some point lights but they were dramatically decreased, that store looked a lot flat than in the E3 2018 demo, and I feel TLOU Part 1 fixed that.

THE 2 EXAMPLES!!

TLOU Part 1 enemy models

TZUpHEk.jpg

Fb8L1U2XwAApQid

NOW TLOU 2 enemy models

Qzkqbhb.jpg

Qs6gTty.jpg

You could say that's due to bad lighting conditions giving inconsistent results, but I do think that the enemy models in TLOU Part 1 look a lot better & are on-par with the E3 2018 enemy models, they look a lot more grounded lighting-wise & with its upgraded enemy models, I feel like they have finally achieved the level of visuals they were aiming at in the E3 2018 demo.

What do you guys think? πŸ‘€πŸ‘€πŸ‘€πŸ‘€πŸ‘€πŸ‘€

Last edited:
  • brain
Reactions: Oogabooga

Satoru

Limitless
Founder
20 Jun 2022
PT I looks better, for sure.

the screenshots you posted of Joel V Ellie, there's some sort of editing going on the former and not the later. I actually suspect the former are photomode enhanced while the later are in gameplay

That said, I'll reiterate - It looks better graphically. Every single graphical department has been improved.

Reactions: LED