Todd Howard says Starfield was "intentionally made to be played for a long time" and Bethesda's looking 5+ years ahead

SLB1904

Actually born in 1904!
22 Jun 2022
Playing cyberpunk after Starfield really open your eyes how shit Starfield is

Reactions: Nimrota

Alabtrosmyster

Veteran
26 Jun 2022
No? What you'd want is that people enjoy them as much as possible, enough to want to come back for more.

Padding play time with dumbed down slow traversal and load screens is not how you make people enjoy it longer.
People are in such a hurry these days, can't you just enjoy the scenery. I mean walking a little bit after you spent all this time in hyperspace, sitting, is only good for the character's ability to recover from all this time spent in weightless ness, Starfield is a simulation of space exploration, not planetary exploration.

Johnic

Veteran
24 Mar 2023
Outer Heaven
Yes, one with planned years of post launch with new updates with extra content and features, dlcs and so on until they decide isn't worth it. So a GaaS.
By that logic, 99% of games are GaaS. Most games these days get updates and expansions/DLC.

Old Gamer

Veteran
Founder
5 Aug 2022
People are in such a hurry these days, can't you just enjoy the scenery. I mean walking a little bit after you spent all this time in hyperspace, sitting, is only good for the character's ability to recover from all this time spent in weightless ness, Starfield is a simulation of space exploration, not planetary exploration.
No Man's Sky is the game you're describing, and that Starfield tried to rip off. Very poorly.

Yurinka

Veteran
VIP
21 Jun 2022
By that logic, 99% of games are GaaS. Most games these days get updates and expansions/DLC.
No, 99% of the games doesn't have a multiple years long post launch support roadmap of many paid (combined with free content) dlcs. Only GaaS do this, and this is what makes GaaS different from non-GaaS.

To plan the game as a service that keeps evolving over time after launch, instead of as a product that you mostly release it and forget about it except maybe for a handful future ports or dlcs.

Mate, even playing Tetris will open your eyes to how shit Starfield is.
Well, to be fair for me Tetris is one of the best games ever.

Last edited:

Dabaus

Veteran
28 Jun 2022
Weird that he’s damage controlling now and not when the game first came out? Maybe they really thought people wouldn’t see through how bad it was and now that the game has no sales legs and horrible player reviews he feels the need to say something?

Darth Vader

I find your lack of faith disturbing
Founder
20 Jun 2022

What space exploration? The loading screens everytime you try and explore? Or the solar systems that for the most part are the same shit?

Reactions: Would_you_kindly

Vertigo

Did you show the Darkness what Light can do?
26 Jun 2022
You can definitely make the claim it’s trying to be games as service. It’s not exclusive to multiplayer games (asscreed is a good example). They’re already pre-selling dlc content and we’ve already seen the leaked expansion working titles. I would imagine the idea is to get more expansion content out than they did for Fallout 4.

GaaS approach isn’t the worst idea for RPGs. You could effectively build mass effect trilogy across a single game with such an approach…

Reactions: Nimrota

anonpuffs

Veteran
Icon Extra
29 Nov 2022
You can definitely make the claim it’s trying to be games as service. It’s not exclusive to multiplayer games (asscreed is a good example). They’re already pre-selling dlc content and we’ve already seen the leaked expansion working titles. I would imagine the idea is to get more expansion content out than they did for Fallout 4.

GaaS approach isn’t the worst idea for RPGs. You could effectively build mass effect trilogy across a single game with such an approach…
Nahh starfield isn't gaas, gaas are games that actually require the provider to continue servicing the game.

Reactions: Would_you_kindly

Nimrota

Veteran
11 Jul 2023

This is absolutely what they're going to do. You already see it in all the shill arguments, "this game is such a good foundation for mods", and Todd's 5 year comment highlights this. What will happen imo is they'll release several core DLC packs that add more to the game populated some star systems with new content, and because the game is free on GP you need to pay the DLC cost to get the "complete" latest version of the game. Base Starfield is free, but if you want the good experience in 2y it'll cost you $70 or so in some form or another. Maybe like ESO they'll offer you a discount on the latest content that includes all the rest you've missed.