Tom Henderson - The PlayStation Portal was very successful and they are paying very close attention to the current handheld market

Yurinka

Veteran
VIP
21 Jun 2022
I'd kill for a PS4 portable or something like that.
I think what you'll get is a Sony handheld PC instead released once they ported to PC most of the PS4 and PS5 (2+ years old in case of non-GaaS) titles they consider have potential to sell enough there.

Make sure they'll feature crossplay, cloud saves and shared trophies and friendlist, and maybe even crossbuy at least for some games.

I think it would make sense to release it a couple years after the PS6 (so in late 2029/early 2030), acting as next gen PS Player too, not only as standalone portable. So in that case would get also get the PC version of the PS6 games.

Kokoloko

Veteran
Icon Extra
21 Jun 2022
Ay that's me lol.

I'd kill for a PS4 portable or something like that.

I think in a couple/few years they’ll be able to play PS5 games downscaled. We’re already half way through the gen.
Steamdeck plays a few PS5 games pretty pooply but its still there around 20-30fps. Id rather have the PS5/PS4 library even if its the PS5 games downscaled

There will also be plenty 3rd party games that will be running on Steamdeck 2 and Switch 2, that a PSP3 would could take advantage of if its around the same power as Steamdeck 2

Kokoloko

Veteran
Icon Extra
21 Jun 2022
Time for a PSP3. I travel alot so Ill need something that can work offline too.

I think if Sony gets something around the power of the next Steamdeck 2, it could defo played downscaled PS5 games and also play all the potential 3rd party games. Leaving no Playstation studio game shortage issues like the Vita had. Also no memory or L2/R2 issues

anonpuffs

Veteran
Icon Extra
29 Nov 2022
If they're paying attention they need to make an OLED model ASAP, it isn't even hard to do and they could roll it out in months.

reziel

Banned
12 Jun 2023
Didn't they try this with the Vita, too, though? But devs wanted to focus more on their game quality, which being on a handheld didn't help it due to its limitations in quality and development costs?

Kokoloko

Veteran
Icon Extra
21 Jun 2022
Didn't they try this with the Vita, too, though? But devs wanted to focus more on their game quality, which being on a handheld didn't help it due to its limitations in quality and development costs?

With tech now, they wont need to have dedicated studios and games. Just downscaled version of the games. Like Steamdeck Switch 2 and Steamdeck 2 will be doing.

quest4441

Veteran
27 Feb 2024
With tech now, they wont need to have dedicated studios and games. Just downscaled version of the games. Like Steamdeck Switch 2 and Steamdeck 2 will be doing.
That only works if the downscaled versions come after the release on the flagship console otherwise you will be stuck with a PS version of the series S, if they make a handheld they need to make it run on linux with proton layer compatibility and not have some proprietary software bullshit.

• they're_right_you_know
Reactions: arvfab and Shmunter

Shmunter

Veteran
22 Jul 2022
That only works if the downscaled versions come after the release on the flagship console otherwise you will be stuck with a PS version of the series S, if they make a handheld they need to make it run on linux with proton layer compatibility and not have some proprietary software bullshit.
Precisely. I hope they don't release an underpowered sku that is supposed to be running full fat ps5 games because full fat ps5 games will be compromised

Reactions: arvfab

arvfab

Oldest Guard
23 Jun 2022
I would love a PS handheld, but seeing how current SIE struggles with producing exclusives for their current system and sent an expensive add-on device out to die without content, I think we would have a situation worse than Vita.

Kokoloko

Veteran
Icon Extra
21 Jun 2022

Or they can go the portable PC route to play 3rd party games and just patches on there 1st party games

Kokoloko

Veteran
Icon Extra
21 Jun 2022
I would love a PS handheld, but seeing how current SIE struggles with producing exclusives for their current system and sent an expensive add-on device out to die without content, I think we would have a situation worse than Vita.

Man, why would they make exclusive games when Steamdeck 1-2 and Switch 2 are gonna be playing modern gen games or close about?
No1 is gonna ever do a dedicated portable again. The tech is past that

Kokoloko

Veteran
Icon Extra
21 Jun 2022
Precisely. I hope they don't release an underpowered sku that is supposed to be running full fat ps5 games because full fat ps5 games will be compromised

So what kind of portable do you want?
Full PS5 games dont need to be compromised

Reactions: ToTTenTranz

arvfab

Oldest Guard
23 Jun 2022
Man, why would they make exclusive games when Steamdeck 1-2 and Switch 2 are gonna be playing modern gen games or close about?
No1 is gonna ever do a dedicated portable again. The tech is past that

I'm sorry but I don't want the same situation as the Series S, where games need either to be botchered to run on it or massive resources need to be spent in order to scale the game back enough to run on it.

The rumors say Switch 2 is barely a PS4 Pro tech wise. You want SIE to gimp all their games in order to support the portable?

• Informative
Reactions: Kokoloko
OP
OP
FatKaz

FatKaz

Veteran
16 Jul 2022
The rumors say Switch 2 is barely a PS4 Pro tech wise. You want SIE to gimp all their games in order to support the portable?
Are SIE gimping their games when their games are playable on steamdeck?

How about nixxes get put to work on those ports for this sony handheld as they galdly got rift apart stemdeck verified.

Rift apart is one of the technically impressive SIE games.

Main team works on their vision to the fullest, and nixxes make there asses worthwhile for the ps fanbase and do scaled down ports.

• they're_right_you_know
Reactions: MrAss and Kokoloko