Tom Warren: gonna be worth tuning into the Xbox Tokyo game show stream next week

11 Jul 2024
For what? To see ports of games that released years ago coming to the platform with the lowest amount of consoles sold and a fanbase that is conditioned to not buy games?

Sony at TGS: Hey, here are some new game announcements.
Xbox at TGS: Hey, here are some games Sony announced years ago.

Last edited:
Reactions: Systemshock2023

Ico

Icon Extra
8 May 2024
i cant see what is on the tweet, but with sony showing metaphor refantazio i wonder what xbox will do, if they got kingdom hearts marketing it would be crazy

Killer_Sakoman

Veteran
21 Jun 2022
It is clearly Final Fantasy XVI.
That's the biggest thing Microsoft could have in a TGS. The rest is smoke and mirrors as usual.

Systemshock2023

Veteran
8 May 2023
How about something truly interesting like porting Blue Dragon, Lost Oddysey or other 360 era JRPG to modern platforms? That will earn you goodwill among the japanese audience and hardcore fans.

Reactions: Shadow2027

saltyashell

11 Feb 2024
It's probably FF 16 on Gamepass. A non gamepass release on Xbox wouldn't really make any waves because both Xbox and Square Enix know they wouldn't sell many copies at all.

11 Jul 2024
It's probably FF 16 on Gamepass. A non gamepass release on Xbox wouldn't really make any waves because both Xbox and Square Enix know they wouldn't sell many copies at all.
It is not going on GP lmao are you crazy? Square keep saying the game underperformed with 3m units sold in 6 days on 1 platform alone, and you think they'll just put out the game on a sub service?

Shadow2027

15 Dec 2023
It is not going on GP lmao are you crazy? Square keep saying the game underperformed with 3m units sold in 6 days on 1 platform alone, and you think they'll just put out the game on a sub service?
There was the error where it is potentially going into PS plus extra before they corrected. It could be square just taking a bag upfront from both platforms which is a terrible practice it only being a bit over a year old. Just greatly devalues your games and future release.

saltyashell

11 Feb 2024
It's clear that Xbox threw the bag at Square Enix since that new CEO took over. Just look at all of the messaging and posturing from SE in the past year basically regretting Playstation exclusive deals very publicly and proclaiming how much they want their games on Xbox. It makes sense to me. Also, Xbox needs a "win" even if it's something as small as this, and we all know they're desperate enough to pay for it.

Eternal_Wings

Dein Nomos
24 Jun 2022
No way it's FF16. Square Enix had all hands tied with developing the PC version. Plus Sony XDEV JAPAN is literally in the credits. Sony has 100% a clause worked out from preventing XVI launching on Xbox. Phil Spencer said himself on the ABK trial that FF7R and XVI will never come to Xbox

24 Jun 2022
i cant see what is on the tweet, but with sony showing metaphor refantazio i wonder what xbox will do, if they got kingdom hearts marketing it would be crazy

Highly unlikely, but if so, then there really is no hope for SIE. I said back in 2022 that PlayStation getting KOTOR Remake as an exclusive (back before that started falling apart) was a giant slap in the face to Xbox.

Given my confidence in SIE's leadership has dropped so significantly since that time (most of that really from the end of 2023 up through to now), I wouldn't be surprised if they let MS snag Western marketing rights for KH4, an IP strongly associated with PlayStation. And basically be the equivalent of letting Phil Spencer kick them in the nuts and smiling about it.

Same time tho we're talking about something with a 5% chance of happening, if even that.

No way it's FF16. Square Enix had all hands tied with developing the PC version. Plus Sony XDEV JAPAN is literally in the credits. Sony has 100% a clause worked out from preventing XVI launching on Xbox. Phil Spencer said himself on the ABK trial that FF7R and XVI will never come to Xbox

Still can't rule it out. At this point SIE and Microsoft Gaming aren't really "competing" against each other versus enjoying the theatrics of competition in a market segment they have a duopoly in. That in part explains all of the odd lapses in focus and judgement we've seen with SIE over the past couple of years, with various moves undermining their own console or well-oiled internal 1P software output that had been refined over prior console generations.

And chances are, if XVI does go to Xbox, it'll be in a Game Pass deal. Because that's the only way it'd make any financial sense for Square-Enix.

Reactions: Puff

Al Catone

Whiskers
Staff member
18 Jun 2024
Cracking Up Lol GIF by HULU