Tom Warren: gonna be worth tuning into the Xbox Tokyo game show stream next week

TrishaCat

Veteran
17 May 2024

Maybe might be this instead.

I really really hope they change as little as possible because FFXIII already looks, sounds, and plays perfect. Just take the same game, make it run at 4k 60fps without framedrops (the current PC ports of XIII and XIII-2 in particular have constant framedrops no matter what kind of hardware you have), and thats it. That's all this series needs.
Kino series with graphics that hold up incredibly well today.

I'm tempted to say Fake though. "turn off random battles" - None of the XIII games have random encounters. I suspect the person who wrote this has never played the XIII games and is making it up. I hope I'm wrong though.

TrishaCat

Veteran
17 May 2024
If they charge $129 for the Triology, then i would expect some changes, to be honest o_O
the "remixed soundtrack" part of the post makes me nervous
I suppose it doesn't matter if the original OST is there as an option but I don't know what you could do with Hamauzu's work to make it any better than it already is.

Last edited:

quest4441

Veteran
27 Feb 2024
My god the the xbox people are pining for ff ports instead of questioning where the games are, without actiblizz these people would have a grand total of 3 games and 1 expansion with one of the "game" being a simulator and another a 6 hr walking sim

• haha
Reactions: Landiri

TrishaCat

Veteran
17 May 2024
FF16 is already out of the top 10 on Steam and dropping fast. Same for GOW (number 8). They couldn't even stay in the top 10 the first weekend. Where are all the PC port beggars? Estimated to have sold 100k each lmao.

You're a PC weeb and you didn't have buy it. All talk.
I didn't buy it because my wife's birthday is tomorrow and I'm buying her a $60 game she wanted (The Legend of Zelda: Echoes of Wisdom) and taking her to a buffet restaurant that will cost us $80.
I am also currently trying to play the FF games in order and am currently in the middle of Final Fantasy VIII (not to mention playing other games like Ar Nosurge), and our rent+bills (I am one person supporting two people and two cats) leaves very little in terms of spending money so I have to pick and choose carefully.
I *will* eventually buy XVI, but I am not made of money. The only upcoming game that is a "must buy day one" for me is Freedom Wars Remastered. Should the Raidou Kuzunoha HD Collection be announced at TGS that too, will be day one.

I called them out on playing victim because overall online opinion of FF16 is not going to suddenly change because of an Xbox port when the main problem with FF16 (it lacking in the RPG elements) is moreso an opinion amongst traditional Final Fantasy fans, which are largely platform agnostic (though if the FF fandom leans into any platform in particular, it'd either be PS4/PS5 or Switch due to a lasting history with Sony and Nintendo). Microsoft does not have the history with Final Fantasy the way Nintendo and Sony do. Not that there aren't fans there, but any Xbox port would not cause a sudden shift in opinion on the game itself.

Last edited:

Zzero

Major Tom
9 Jan 2023
I really really hope they change as little as possible because FFXIII already looks, sounds, and plays perfect. Just take the same game, make it run at 4k 60fps without framedrops (the current PC ports of XIII and XIII-2 in particular have constant framedrops no matter what kind of hardware you have), and thats it. That's all this series needs.
Kino series with graphics that hold up incredibly well today.

I'm tempted to say Fake though. "turn off random battles" - None of the XIII games have random encounters. I suspect the person who wrote this has never played the XIII games and is making it up. I hope I'm wrong though.
XIII is the cancer that killed Final Fantasy.

• thinking_hard
Reactions: Lersds and Johnic

TrishaCat

Veteran
17 May 2024
XIII is the cancer that killed Final Fantasy.
XIII is one of the best Final Fantasy games, and Lightning Returns is one of the best games ever made
XIII-2 is eh, but they can't all be winners

Like XIII's combat system is so cool, its a really fast based ATB style combat but the focus is more on learning and figuring out what paradigm combinations are best fit for what enemies. The game, especially in the latter half, becomes more akin to solving a puzzle with each battle needing you to change your party layout before engaging. If you don't, battles become either long arduous damage sponges or you just die, one of the two.
Beyond the puzzle-y combat, every character has their own conflict going on. There's Lightning, distressed over her crystal-trapped sister and uncomfortable with the marriage between her sister and the immature Snow. There's Snow, a man desperate to save his wife and prove he's not all talk after several failures at playing the hero. Hope, who's angry and saddened at the loss of his mother whom he blames her death on Snow, struggling to accept Snow. Sazh, who accidentally got caught up in this mess after a L'Cie marked and crystalized his child, trying to cope with this loss and find a way to cling onto hope. Vanille, who's happy exterior hides a saddened and pained history involving Sazh...All these characters get their own chapters for them to grow and overcome their problems, usually with said growth being denoted by the chapters ending in a fight against their respective Eidolons, showing both mental character growth and literal growth in their respective power.
The Hamauzu's music is phenomenal, the animations and facial expressions are some of the best in the industry, the graphics were so good they hold up today...And the pacing is so good too! The story is always constantly moving and the environments always look really good thanks to its more linear approach keeping the player focused on moving the story forward. There's no grinding, just one fantastic 60 hour drama.

This scene with Vanille and Sazh (super major spoilers) is one of the best cutscenes in all of video games I am fully convinced. The drama and emotional heartache are so powerful. 6:01 in this video onwards:

• thinking_hard
  • haha
Reactions: anonpuffs and Zzero

Ico

Icon Extra
8 May 2024
Like XIII's combat system is so cool, its a really fast based ATB style combat but the focus is more on learning and figuring out what paradigm combinations are best fit for what enemies. The game, especially in the latter half, becomes more akin to solving a puzzle with each battle needing you to change your party layout before engaging. If you don't, battles become either long arduous damage sponges or you just die, one of the two.

to this day the paradigm system is my favorite format of non-action combat jrpg, its so fluid and strategic, the only sad thing is that takes a lot of time until you have all the characters on your party so you can truly do what you want, but its not something you change in a remaster... i would buy day one if they just added a 4K coat of painting to it

Reactions: TrishaCat

Dabaus

Veteran
28 Jun 2022
Xbox about to announce a whole slate of SE games and Sony can’t get one at the tgs pre show? Lost the marketing to atlus too while outselling them 5:1? How

R4tion4l Sk3pt1c

31 Aug 2024
My god the the xbox people are pining for ff ports instead of questioning where the games are, without actiblizz these people would have a grand total of 3 games and 1 expansion with one of the "game" being a simulator and another a 6 hr walking sim
Both Sony and Microsoft barely had any worth a while exclusives this generation besides remasters and remakes. The fact that games are still releasing on the PS4 and Xbox One is also a problem