[Tom Warren] Microsoft says Xbox has "lost the console wars." Ahead of the FTC case today, Microsoft is keen to show Xbox is in third place.

John Elden Ring

The Thread Maker
Content Creator
5 Jul 2022
United States
Microsoft says Xbox has "lost the console wars." Ahead of the FTC case today, Microsoft is keen to show Xbox is in third place. Microsoft reveals Xbox had 16 percent share of console sales in 2021 and 21 percent of the console install base

FzO6Ma9aQAEzebs

FzO6M9raYAcx2W6

Johnic

Veteran
24 Mar 2023
Outer Heaven
OK and what does that have to do with monopolizing the industry? Sony won because they kept investing in great products. MS is lazy and incompetent and now they're bitching about being in the last place. It's the ant and the grasshopper story.

Why should anyone reward incompetence? Is there a law that states that an incompetent company needs to be rescued despite them having more means to compete than all of their competition combined?

24 Jun 2022
So… show your failure to give opportunity to possibly spending billions to acquire another third party pub… how subtle.

It doesn't even make sense. If anything, Microsoft going on about how much they suck should make regulators NOT want to give them ABK in the risk they end up screwing that up, too. Then you'd have a net loss not just for them but the industry as a whole.

Success begets success. And no, MS can't use their success in Windows/Azure/Office to act like that's Xbox's success; it isn't.

reziel

Veteran
12 Jun 2023
It still gets me to this day that people are using a term (War) that is normally used in tragedies. People died and fought in for their freedoms and rights. To describe a petty squabble of my console is better then yours. I feel calling this a war is of the highest disrespect especially from a large company that should know better.

Old Gamer

Veteran
5 Aug 2022
I feel calling this a war is of the highest disrespect especially from a large company that should know better.
In the conceptual stage, the original xbox was codenamed "Midway", and DirectX codenamed "Manhattan".

Reactions: reziel

catchew

8 Jun 2023
wait, why is activision holding hands with xbox in that header? they were facing something more serious that xbox all of a sudden choose to ignore after all the hippie peace-talk and worker rights. but competition is not one of them. lol

Nhomnhom

Veteran
25 Mar 2023
Do everyone a favor and quit, stop making garbage consoles and fueling console wars.

Wellfare are you ok?

It still gets me to this day that people are using a term (War) that is normally used in tragedies. People died and fought in for their freedoms and rights. To describe a petty squabble of my console is better then yours. I feel calling this a war is of the highest disrespect especially from a large company that should know better.
Maybe stop taking things literally? Does Gears of War, God of War and browser wars also bother you?

Last edited:
Reactions: anonpuffs

Satoru

Limitless
Founder
20 Jun 2022
Is this how competition is supposed to work? You're a loser, and you're then in a position to buy up the whole industry?

The corporate definition of competition:
  • Rich company spins up a division / subsidiary that can have almost perpetual losses
  • Claims some market but fails to capture the leads
  • Starts buying chunks of the market as to starve the competition
  • Eventually captures the market and fucks consumers
Its a tale as old as time, and countries are completely liable for this shit, especially the US, UK, and the EU as a whole. Trillion dollar companies should be broken up and should not be allowed ANY acquisitions.

reziel

Veteran
12 Jun 2023
Do everyone a favor and quit, stop making garbage consoles and fueling console wars.

Wellfare are you ok?

Maybe stop taking things literally? Does Gears of War, God of War and browser wars also bother you?
Read my username again before you start unnecessary drama. I made one comment and you're trying to start a fight again.

Nhomnhom

Veteran
25 Mar 2023
Read my username again before you start unnecessary drama. I made one comment and you're trying to start a fight again.
Look at my face before you start talking nonsense. I don't care about what your name is, it's ridiculous for someone to pretend to be offended by the term "console wars".

Welfare

Forum Veteran
23 Jan 2023

Wellfare are you ok?
This isn't new info

According to Ampere Analysis

Total hardware 2021 (including older hardware): 48M
Switch: 24.3M (51%)
PS5: 12.5M (26%)
XBS: 7.7M (16%)

reziel

Veteran
12 Jun 2023
Look at my face before you start talking nonsense. I don't care about what your name is, it's ridiculous for someone to pretend to be offended by the term "console wars".
The only one offended in this is you apparently. I said disrespectful not offended.

KnittedKnight

Gaming Sage
Icon Extra
13 Jul 2022
Console war = Business war. It's a business war - always has been. And the contention is Windows Gaming vs. Console Gaming. Xbox being a trojan horse and bridgegap so long as the transition to cloud stays being out of reach..... biggest impediment to which are Sony's PlayStation and Nintendo's hold on a combined solid 250 million user base in the premium games industry.

As long as that puzzle stays uncracked gamers will be well off. Doesn't stop companies like MS or Google or Amazon or others from trying to take chances at disrupting the status quo for that Frankenstein of a future....where they'll obviously benefit greatly at someone's expense... and it's not just Nintendo or Sony that will feel it but the great masses of ignorant sheep as well.

As for the OP... cry me a river.

Last edited: