Tom Warren reporting Avowed to be delayed to early 2025

peter42O

Veteran
12 Jan 2024
Personally, this is what I have been hoping for as I hate the shotgun blast of releases that Microsoft loves to do. Just need Towerborne to get delayed to late January/early February (with Avowed in March) and I will be very happy.

Starting August 30th -

1. Star Wars Outlaws
2. Visions of Mana
3. Astro Bot
4. Warhammer 40,000: Space Marine 2
5. Dragon Age: The Veilguard
6. Silent Hill 2
7. Call of Duty: Black Ops 6
8. Indiana Jones and the Great Circle
9. Assassin's Creed Shadows
10. Stalker 2

Plus the Shattered Space expansion for Starfield, Vessel of Hatred expansion for Diablo IV and who knows what else. So for me, I have a ton of games to play and if anything, I need a few more delays. lol

2spooky5me

Veteran
12 May 2024
@Petekilla

At this point, I don't know why IGN is fooling around. They might as well fire every employee that isn't part of the Xbox Hive-mind, and make Ryan the face of everything: Corporate Slop boy. And it's a damn shame Nintendo, PC and Playstation fans still keep giving them credence.
Half of their staff do NOT play games AT ALL, have ZERO SKILL in gaming, or do not even TRY to explore games outside of Xbox tramp-stamp "quality".

Last edited:

anonpuffs

Veteran
Icon Extra
29 Nov 2022
@Petekilla

At this point, I don't know why IGN is fooling around. They might as well fire every employee that isn't part of the Xbox Hive-mind, and make Ryan the face of everything: Corporate Slop boy. And it's a damn shame Nintendo, PC and Playstation fans still keep giving them credence.
Half of their staff do NOT play games AT ALL, have ZERO SKILL in gaming, or even TRY to explore games outside of Xbox tramp-stamp "quality".

one thing to be mindful of: almost every e-journalist outlet has financial troubles because online web articles are very hard to make money off of. I wouldn't be surprised if they were being subsidized behind the scenes.

Nydius

26 Jun 2024
"The fall window is too crowded" is pure PR spin. The fall schedule is always crowded and Microsoft put Avowed there anyway. If they truly had faith in the game, they'd release it. The reality is they're hoping to release it in a period where there's a lull so people will be inclined to try it as they await other games (or have just finished up their backlog) in order to pump up the engagement metrics for (yet another) 6 out of 10, mediocre, Game Pass release.

8. Indiana Jones and the Great Circle

It's cute you think this game is coming this year. We've seen even less of that game than we've seen of Avowed.
Indiana Jones is the next game to get a half-assed excuse as to why it's being pushed into 2025.
My bet is on "It needs some extra time for polishing."

peter42O

Veteran
12 Jan 2024
It's cute you think this game is coming this year. We've seen even less of that game than we've seen of Avowed.
Indiana Jones is the next game to get a half-assed excuse as to why it's being pushed into 2025.

If Indiana Jones gets delayed, it gets delayed. I'm someone who heavily favors delays regardless of the game. Make sure it's fucking ready and you're sending it out to die. Avowed makes sense for the delay due to Dragon Age and AC Shadows releasing in October/November. Avowed is simply the odd game out. With that said, I believe Indiana Jones releases in the first week of December but we'll see.

Zzero

Major Tom
9 Jan 2023
"The fall window is too crowded" is pure PR spin. The fall schedule is always crowded and Microsoft put Avowed there anyway. If they truly had faith in the game, they'd release it. The reality is they're hoping to release it in a period where there's a lull so people will be inclined to try it as they await other games (or have just finished up their backlog) in order to pump up the engagement metrics for (yet another) 6 out of 10, mediocre, Game Pass release.

We've seen a lot of the game, its pretty clearly done or almost done.

@Petekilla

Half of their staff do NOT play games AT ALL, have ZERO SKILL in gaming, or even TRY to explore games outside of Xbox tramp-stamp "quality".
They have a bunch of people, including the founder and EIC, Peer Schnieder, who are extremely into Nintendo. And outside of Ryan the Bullshitter they have some very smart oldschool games people too.

Evilnemesis8

Veteran
19 Dec 2023
Game looks rough, anyone that believes it was only delayed because of crowded release schedule are fooling Themselves

It didn't really look rough besides that weak feeling combat animations(which is really the standard for every 1st person RPG games ever). I guess those are really hard to get because I don't think someone has really been able to really get them to a state that the general audience(non RPG-fans) would feel is "great". It doesn't help that those that do make those RPGs are either Bethesda other smaller studios, so maybe it's possible to get them right, it's just none of the bigger players that have the technical animation expertise want to do them because 3rd person is easier to sell to a wider audience.

But I do think that it's a good idea to move away from the Fall that will have Dragon Age, a brand new fully fledged Assassin's Creed and the whole slew of other big games.

This game looks to be within the same scope as The Outer Worlds back in 2019 and it's just better to give a higher end double AA game sort of game a window where it is outside of the Fall lineup.

Reactions: Infinity

Impulse

21 Apr 2023
But I do think that it's a good idea to move away from the Fall that will have Dragon Age, a brand new fully fledged Assassin's Creed and the whole slew of other big games.
They knew these things are coming out way in advance, even had marketing deals with both games. That excuse doesn't fly with me at all tbh.

I genuinely think there's no other explanation here other than the game is not looking good behind the scenes and needs more polish time. Note that they didn't even have a confirmed release date (November was leaked but it was taken down quickly), so they're delaying from TBD 2024 to TBD 2025?

Evilnemesis8

Veteran
19 Dec 2023
They knew these things are coming out way in advance, even had marketing deals with both games. That excuse doesn't fly with me at all tbh.

This is true, but Xbox would have a vested interest in not putting a competitor RPG next like EA's Dragon Age.
This hurts both 1st party sales and 3rd party sales on their machine.
This exact scenario actually happened some time ago, some generations ago. But I can't seem to recall which titles were involved.

Anyhow...

I genuinely think there's no other explanation here other than the game is not looking good behind the scenes and needs more polish time. Note that they didn't even have a confirmed release date (November was leaked but it was taken down quickly), so they're delaying from TBD 2024 to TBD 2025?

Yeah it also might need more time in the oven, which is pretty whatever on its own.
Keyword, on its own, folks at Xbox keep pushing back the "one relatively big game every quarter" further and further behind.

CrackmanNL

4 Apr 2024

Confirmed by Xbox; Feb 18 2025.

Also Starfield dlc & Indi Jones still no release date. I don't trust one bit of their other 2025 dated games as well.

saltyashell

11 Feb 2024
Bots are always bragging about having paid off their game pass subscriptions multiple years into the future, and meanwhile, Xbox has gone a whole year and released only 1 super niche and mediocre exclusive. Exhibit A of why it's a stupid decision to buy subscriptions in advance.

• they're_right_you_know
Reactions: 2spooky5me

Nydius

26 Jun 2024
We've seen a lot of the game, its pretty clearly done or almost done.
You must live in a completely different reality because all we've seen of Indiana Jones in the last year and a half is 5 minutes of gameplay and two lengthy curated cutscenes. May I remind you that it's a game not a movie so gameplay is what matters. And, of that, we haven't seen SHIT. They've shown three times as much gameplay of Avowed than what they've showed of Indiana Jones.

Zzero

Major Tom
9 Jan 2023
[/QUOTE]
You must live in a completely different reality because all we've seen of Indiana Jones in the last year and a half is 5 minutes of gameplay and two lengthy curated cutscenes. May I remind you that it's a game not a movie so gameplay is what matters. And, of that, we haven't seen SHIT. They've shown three times as much gameplay of Avowed than what they've showed of Indiana Jones.
The Indie gameplay footage is remarkably consistent, its pretty clear what the game is, how it will play and its state of development. All you are really missing is map size and quantity.