Tom Warren thinks PC ports of PS5 exclusives will release a lot faster after Spider-Man 2

Bryank75

I don't get ulcers, I give 'em!
Founder
18 Jun 2022
icon-era.com
Well, he is asking a question but with such a huge jump from two years back to just one to wait for a port.... Nothing can be ruled out.

It's frustrating that they never listen to their fans and that this focus on the easy option has led to what I perceive as a massive erosion of quality, output and prestige.

OP
OP
R4tion4l Sk3pt1c

R4tion4l Sk3pt1c

31 Aug 2024
Well, he is asking a question but with such a huge jump from two years back to just one to wait for a port.... Nothing can be ruled out.

It's frustrating that they never listen to their fans and that this focus on the easy option has led to what I perceive as a massive erosion of quality, output and prestige.
I feel like day 1 PC is inevitable at this point espically if the rumors/leaks about a PlayStation launcher on PC are true

Neversummer

Veteran
27 Jun 2023

4 years into the PS5 gen & over 50% of PS user base is still playing on PS4 imagine how bad the migration from PS5 to PS6 will be, are we looking at 75% of PS playerbase sitting on PS5 due to people both PS gamers & potential others like Xbox, Nintendo & PC gamers buying into the platform because they know if you just wait 6 month to 1 year you can get the game at the best performance, cheapest price, mod adding even more content & considering Steam position a platform & storefront that Valve/Steam won’t ever diminish.

I see more PS gamers migrating to PC & Steamdeck 2 when they announce PS6 because Valve/Steam has both Xbox, PS & PC exclusive including Steam first party exclusive. I mean look at Xbox just look at how many hardcore & casual migrated to PC & those are ones who said they where console gamers & said they would never go to PC. Valve/Steam has made it where PC is as much as pick up & play as console w the Steamdeck & that will only get more streamlined.

OP
OP
R4tion4l Sk3pt1c

R4tion4l Sk3pt1c

31 Aug 2024
4 years into the PS5 gen & over 50% of PS user base is still playing on PS4 imagine how bad the migration from PS5 to PS6 will be, are we looking at 75% of PS playerbase sitting on PS5 due to people both PS gamers & potential others like Xbox, Nintendo & PC gamers buying into the platform because they know if you just wait 6 month to 1 year you can get the game at the best performance, cheapest price, mod adding even more content & considering Steam position a platform & storefront that Valve/Steam won’t ever diminish.

I see more PS gamers migrating to PC & Steamdeck 2 when they announce PS6 because Valve/Steam has both Xbox, PS & PC exclusive including Steam first party exclusive. I mean look at Xbox just look at how many hardcore & casual migrated to PC & those are ones who said they where console gamers & said they would never go to PC. Valve/Steam has made it where PC is as much as pick up & play as console w the Steamdeck & that will only get more streamlined.
Sony should have never made cross gen exclusives Horizon Forbidden West and God of War Ragnarok should have never released for PS4

thicc_girls_are_teh_best

Veteran
Icon Extra
24 Jun 2022
Seeing as how so many Xbox shills or Xbox-centric influencers seem to be transforming into talking mouths for the PlayStation brand, and assuming there's even some small bit of collusive duopolistic cooperation in work between Microsoft & Sony/SIE...and of course just going off trends we've been able to observe with our own eyes...

...I can believe it. Seems like it's full steam ahead for SIE now with this PC strategy of theirs. But when they see similar (not equivalent) downturns in fan enthusiasm/trust in the platform from genuine gamers who've been there from earlier generations, and see similar (not equivalent) slumps in console adoption rates and revenue from 3P B2P & MTX sales, plus their subscription service?

Well, I'm sure they'll start "seeing the light" by that point. But by then it'll be too late to return things to what they used to be.

Neversummer

Veteran
27 Jun 2023
I feel like day 1 PC is inevitable at this point espically if the rumors/leaks about a PlayStation launcher on PC are true
That PC launcher will fail if they don’t have exclusive. If the PS pc port aren’t exclusive to the PS pc launcher people will stick to Steam. And if PS goes day 1 on PS console & PS PC launcher PS would just be making PS console gamer to get & explore PC likely migrating to Steam/Steamdeck. Either way PS looses as they no longer get 100% cuts & split cuts w competitors for small gains since PS PC ports are selling less & less. The magic, aura & prestige surrounding PS games has been almost completely lost even a game like Spiderman 2 anything revolving that game has been nothing but negative pr. Even GOW ragnarok seem to sell less then GOW 2018 likely w people just waiting for the PC port/ waiting to pirate it & or no longer desiring PS games.

akira__

29 Sep 2024
Playstation brings a game to PC?
giphy.gif

Dr. E99

1 Sep 2024
I think most exclusives that get PC ports will be timed, with any live service games being day and date.

Neversummer

Veteran
27 Jun 2023
Well, I'm sure they'll start "seeing the light" by that point. But by then it'll be too late to return things to what they used to be.
Oh absolutely it will be to late. It’s not like the PS3 gen where Nintendo was in their own island & PC wasn’t as big as it is now.

There easy replacement for PS for instant PC has a huge library of PS games in Steam. Valve has there own console for $400-$500 that allows you to play PS4 & PS5 games with weaker hardware then PS5. You have Rog ally & maybe Xbox making a pc like handheld where you will be able to play PS games on & Nintendo Switch 2 will play almost all 3rd party game on PS consoles at a playable performance if we go by the rumors a Nintendo Switch 2 anywhere near or higher power then PS4 will certainly eat away PS console market. And that’s not also considering potentially others making handhelds like Apple, Netflix, Google, Tencent, Amazon as they will likely consolidate

11 Jul 2024
Is no-one picking up on this port being out this soon for PC due to Marvel's possible decision?
It was announced during Marvel NYCC. They might have had a deal with Sony to at the least announce the port within a year of the PS5 release.
I don't believe Sony's original IPs (GoW, GoT, TLoU etc'..) will be ported this quick in the future, but I do believe anything Marvel will be. So the rumored Venom game and Wolverine, I 100% see releasing within the same time frame as SM2. They won't force them to release on XB because the sales would be of no significance, but they will force XB to release Blade on PS5 in the future.
Sony was sitting on the GoT port for 4 years, and TLoU2 was already remastered and is still exclusive to PS5, heck, Demon's Souls is still exclusive, and so is GT7.

ghostwriter74

27 Jun 2023
Hulst said titles will be ported 1-2 years after the PS launch. Someone like Warren should know. Also, unlike GoW Ragnarök or HFW, Spider-Man 2 won't get any DLC - so why wait? Marvel takes a lot of licensing fees, so higher sales are certainly advantageous.

When you see what's coming out from February 25, it makes sense to release the title beforehand. I don't think Civ7, KCD2, ACS or MHW will all be released in February, but at least one title will be pushed back, but it's certainly not a bad idea to release the port as early in the year as possible. If Xbox doesn't postpone almost all of its titles again, at least 2 high-profile titles could be released, with Doom and Fable, which will probably run better on PC than a PS5 port. The LoU 2 port is apparently already finished and should be released with the start of Season 2, and there are at least 2 live service games that will also be released for PC in 2025.

If GTA6 really comes out in 2026, it doesn't make sense to release a major port in that quarter, as some PC gamers might give in, can't wait and buy a PS5/PS5 Pro instead. It will be much more interesting to see how well Spider-Man 2 sells on PC and what hardware it needs. As far as I know, it's the first PS5-only title in a while. In any case, it makes sense to port Spider-Man 2 before the annual report after a flop like Concord, also because the other PC ports certainly didn't generate high sales.

DarkLordOtaku

18 Oct 2024
Upper Marlboro, Maryland
He's not wrong. I have said it for years. The PC ports will get faster and faster until they're caught up with what they want to port and from there, it will all be day one. If anything, it's just common sense at this point.
Yeah, I actually assumed they were going to be doing one year staggered releases, until they got to the point where they felt comfortable doing cross-platform launches on a regular basis.

Reactions: peter42O

akira__

29 Sep 2024
We are almost 4 years into the narrative that PlayStation will bring games faster to PC. And this game will be around a year and a half after the ps5 release.

This port doesn't even fit the narrative, yet they still use it to somehow prove it's going faster.

If anything, it proves the opposite...

• haha
Reactions: KvallyX