Tom Warren thinks PC ports of PS5 exclusives will release a lot faster after Spider-Man 2

TrishaCat

Veteran
17 May 2024
Last edited:
Reactions: Boswollox

Boswollox

7 Sep 2024
"PlayStation doomed"
homer simpson simpsons GIF
Bookmarked for future.

Don't pull the schtick of "I always knew playstation was doomed"/"you couldn't have known it was doomed"

ToTTenTranz

Veteran
Icon Extra
4 Aug 2023
I used to be 100% in favor of Sony porting their 1st party games to PC as means to pull PC gamers into their own platform.
But that was making sense when they had God of War 2018 appearing on PC in the same year as Ragnarok appeared on Playstation, or Spider Man appearing on PC within a year of Spider Man 2 appearing on Playstation.
Both of which appeared on PC almost 4 years after their Playstation debut, leaving a clear message that, PC gamers who wanted to play the sequels before forgetting all about the 1st game's story and characters, would need to buy a Playstation 5 and play the games there.

Now that they're shortening the exclusivity window from almost 4 years to a little over a year, I don't know what to think.

Pair this with Sony clearly trying to end the subsidized hardware business model with the PS5 Pro's price, asking more for the regular PS5 now than they did at release 4 years ago, and it looks like Sony is now actively sabotaging their own hardware platform.

Weird times.

Neversummer

Veteran
27 Jun 2023
And who will have a PC strong enough to run the game?
Bruh majority of PS PC port is playable on Steamdeck which is much weaker then PS5.

You can get a Steamdeck for $400-$500.

It’s interesting that people like you & even Sony/PS themselves don’t see that Valve has made a console like device that turns PC as much of a pick up & play device like console w Steamdeck. I’d argue Valve is just furthering there dominance in the PC space by taking over the hardware portion of PC where PC has no attachment to a brand that is also tied to a storefront. See Valve is tying Steam almost to anything PC related whether it’s gaming, storefront or hardware it is all tied & funneled through Steam.

peter42O

Veteran
12 Jan 2024
Fewer games, more buggy releases.

While I don't know how the PC releases have been performance wise outside of TLOU because everyone knows that one but PS5 wise, while not as polished as PS4 releases, outside of a crash or two in Miles, Spider Man 2 and Ratchet, the only other issue I had was with Horizon Forbidden West where a button prompt didn't appear during a main story quest and I had to reload a previous save which cost me about two hours of game progress. But all in all, mostly minor issues that didn't affect my experience or with HFW, I was able to work around the issue.

Game wise, I was curious so I looked up the list for PS4 releases and this is for games that released as of the PS4 release or later through 2017. No PS/PS2/PS3/PSP/Vita ports and no DLC/expansions unless it's a standalone like First Light. All ratings in parenthesis are taken from Open Critic a few minutes ago.

2013 / 4 (70)
- Doki Doki Universe (67)
- Killzone: Shadow Fall (73)
- Knack (58)
- Resogun (85)

2014 / 8 (74)
- CounterSpy (69)
- DriveClub (68)
- Entwined (67)
- Hohokum (74)
- Infamous: First Light (76)
- Infamous: Second Son (82)
- LittleBigPlanet 3 (79)
- MLB: The Show 14 (82)

2015 / 9 (75)
- Bloodborne (91)
- DriveClub Bikes (83)
- Everybody's Gone to the Rapture (79)
- Fat Princess Adventures (66)
- Guns Up (61)
- Helldivers (82)
- MLB: The Show 15 (80)
- The Order: 1886 (62)
- Until Dawn (79)

2016 / 10 (71)
- Alienation (79)
- Bound (72)
- Hardware: Rivals (53)
- Killstrain (47)
- MLB: The Show 16 (85)
- Ratchet & Clank (86, remake)
- Shadow of the Beast (66, remake)
- The Last Guardian (81)
- The Tomorrow Children (54)
- Uncharted 4: A Thief's End (93)

2017 / 10 (79)
- Drawn to Death (55)
- Gran Turismo Sport (76)
- Gravity Rush 2 (81)
- Horizon Zero Dawn (89)
- Knack II (72)
- Matterfall (74)
- MLB: The Show 17 (85)
- Nex Machina: Death Machine (86)
- Nioh (88)
- Uncharted: The Lost Legacy (85)

41 games published by Sony for an overall rating of 74 (rounded up).

Now for PS5 -

2020 / 3 (85)
- Demon's Souls (92, remake)
- Marvel's Spider Man: Miles Morales (85)
- Sackboy: A Big Adventure (80)

2021 / 4 (78)
- Destruction All Stars (62)
- MLB: The Show 21 (78)
- Ratchet & Clank: Rift Apart (88)
- Returnal (86)

2022 / 4 (86)
- Horizon Forbidden West (88)
- God of War Ragnarok (92)
- Gran Turismo 7 (87)
- MLB: The Show 22 (77)

2023 / 2 (85)
- MLB: The Show 23 (81)
- Marvel's Spider Man 2 (90)

2024 / 6 (80)
- Astro Bot (95)
- Concord (64)
- Helldivers II (83)
- Lego Horizon Adventures *
- MLB: The Show 24 (80)
- Rise of the Ronin (77)
- Stellar Blade (82)

* - LHA isn't included in the quantity or the overall rating since it hasn't been released yet.

19 games published by Sony for an overall rating of 83 (rounded up).

While the overall quantity is less than half of what Sony released during the PlayStation 4 generation in the same time period, the quality this generation is 9 points higher. Obviously, the next few years remains to be seen in regards to how many games Sony releases and their quality is but as someone who had PlayStation 4 as their primary gaming console last generation, im actually far more satisfied with Sony's output this generation than I was last generation.

For me personally, I completed Knack *, Infamous: First Light *, The Order: 1886, Until Dawn *, Alienation, Ratchet & Clank, Uncharted 4, Shadow of the Beast *, Horizon Zero Dawn, Matterfall, Nex Machina, Knack 2 *, Nioh * and Uncharted: The Lost Legacy for PS4.

For PS5, I have completed Miles Morales, Ratchet & Clank: Rift Apart, Horizon Forbidden West, God of War Ragnarok, Spider Man 2, Rise of the Ronin, Stellar Blade and Astro Bot. The PS4 games with an asterisk are games looking back I didn't need to play at all but with PS5, I have no regrets. Enjoyed every single game.

To each their own and all that but I personally would much rather have less games but they're better and I enjoy them more than more games that I end up playing just because I wanted somthing to play and then realize that I didn't need to play them. lol

Reactions: Eggman

thicc_girls_are_teh_best

Veteran
Icon Extra
24 Jun 2022
Spiderman 2 is a licensed property, I wouldn't look for this to become the norm with PC ports.

Bad take. Sony have the film rights to Spiderman, and they own the only studio that's made great superhero games in the past decade. And it's because of that studio why these Spiderman games have been hitting 10+, 20+, even 30+ million copies sold.

If anything, Disney/Marvel should be fortunate a studio like Insomniac want to even bother with their IP, because in terms of story-driven game adaptations the number of studios of comparable ability is slim, and most of those are owned by SIE.

But we're dealing with the same SIE people are saying had no leverage in LEGO Horizon's platforms of release, and that somehow the brand that was dependent on SIE to even bother with their proposal, had the power to dictate a Switch version or even Day 1 Steam release of the game.

So hey maybe current SIE leadership don't even see their own strengths in business negotiations. Maybe they did just bend over and let themselves get cucked by Disney/Marvel, who knows anymore 🤷‍♂️

Death Stranding 2 about to be a Day 1 Steam release, calling it now. Surprised to remember how quick the 1st version went to PC, and the Director's Cut was only a six-month stagger.

If games like Death Stranding 2 are supposed to be showpieces for the PS5 Pro, well that becomes a lot less effective if we can surmise it'll get a PC version at most 6-8 months later, likely sooner or even Day 1. SIE's multiplatform strategy this gen is cooked.

Last edited: