Tomb Raider Board Game Critiziced for being "Agaisnt Raiding and colonialism"

John Elden Ring

The Thread Maker
Content Creator
5 Jul 2022
United States

British adventurer Lara Croft will transition from being a raider of tombs to a seeker of truth as Evil Hat Productions and Crystal Dynamics seek to redefine the Tomb Raider series in order to escape a history wounded by colonialism, according to an excerpt from the official Tomb Raider Shadows of Truth RPG rulebook.

"Raiding, as depicted in the original Tomb Raider games and stories, involves going to ancient tombs and historical sites of different civilisations and acquiring artefacts. It operates on the assumption of 'finders keepers' that grants raiders with the means and the drive to claim ownership of artefacts, regardless of whether they have any historical or cultural claim to the treasure."

"Later games released in the franchise have started the work of addressing this by having Lara Croft acknowledge her past mistakes and try to understand and show respect for the cultures and communities she comes into contact with. She has also worked to reform raider culture and raise the awareness of her peers."

"Lara no longer decorates her mantle with mythic artefacts - as a raider she prioritises seeking out the truth. Much of this game is inspired by her humanity, struggle with heroism, and her tenacity. We believe that all three aspects are an important component in creating a game that celebrates history and culture while acknowledging the respect and work required to live in a world wounded by colonialism."

"In this game, we seek to continue in that work alongside Crystal Dynamics by creating a sandbox for you to tell stories that address colonialist themes in play and create your own stories of respect and support for the people and cultures your Seekers encounter."

The Press Release Gathered enough negative repuation that Crystal Dynamics came out with their own statement:

k2m0jyp9rftc1.png

Sloane_Ranger

Icon Extra
3 Jul 2023
Since it seems like CD is working with them on this - I hope this is not the path the next Tomb Raider game takes. Yuck.

Alabtrosmyster

Veteran
26 Jun 2022
Makes you wonder what "truths" she will be seeking.

Meme Think GIF
She will wonder if she actually is breathing a brown person's air and ponder what she needs to do to stop breathing that air.

Amazing quest indeed, the first white player that holds his breath until he can't breathe at all wins! Bonus point of you got balls.

• haha
Reactions: Sunrise Ninja

JAHGamer

Veteran
8 May 2023
This is so pathetic, these people are literally just checking off points. Stuff like this is more insulting than actual racism

This design looks like a parody/gag character that someone would make to mock the woke movement. But they're doing it themselves.

GIJ4yRxX0AAJ924

Reactions: Alabtrosmyster

Sloane_Ranger

Icon Extra
3 Jul 2023
You know - this stuff has just gone to far. I love diversity, different POVs, but the raw inability to create something new to tell a specific political story versus ruining a beloved franchise is done for me. I won’t support games that get changed for some agenda - and from now on I will be vocal in social media about it. I guess tomb raider - a series I have played every single game on launch day was the last straw.

Alabtrosmyster

Veteran
26 Jun 2022
You know - this stuff has just gone to far. I love diversity, different POVs, but the raw inability to create something new to tell a specific political story versus ruining a beloved franchise is done for me. I won’t support games that get changed for some agenda - and from now on I will be vocal in social media about it. I guess tomb raider - a series I have played every single game on launch day was the last straw.
They don't know how.
All they did is learn to deconstruct, there is no depth to it and they apply the same method to everything.

• they're_right_you_know
Reactions: Sloane_Ranger