Tom’s Hardware “PS5 firmware update has resulted in severe graphical errors and crashes”

Kokoloko

Veteran
Icon Extra
21 Jun 2022
Anyone had any problems?

According to several reports on the web (Reddit, Twitter, etc.), this week's PlayStation 5 firmware update has resulted in severe graphical errors and crashes for several high-profile PS5 and PS4 games being played on Sony's base console hardware. This is the same week as the PS5 Pro's announcement ahead of its November, and two major PS5 timed exclusives making their way to PC has been interesting.

Considering how much the console gaming business model hinges on a plug-and-play gaming experience that "just works," this certainly isn't a good look for Sony. Final Fantasy XVI, one of the aforementioned major PC ports releasing this, is the most reported game suffering from the issue this week.

Still, others include Death Stranding, Star Wars: Jedi Survivor, Elden Ring, and more, according to user reports. Fortunately, not all base PS5 owners are experiencing this issue— and if you are one of them, we highly recommend you postpone that firmware update if you still can— but those who do bear witness to what may be described as "glitch horror."

So, you may be wondering: what's the cause of this issue, how will it be fixed, and when can we expect that fix? Unfortunately, we don't have answers to any of those questions, but we know the issue has been brought to Square Enix (Final Fantasy devs) and PlayStation's attention via a Tweet. With any luck, we can expect a fix sooner rather than later— consumers paid an effective fee of hundreds of dollars to play these games on this hardware, so it should just work.

However, one can't help but notice that at least this week, it does seem like PC is the best place to play PlayStation 5 games. Sure, you have to wait a year or two for the PC port, but you get support for multiple image upscalers, you get way more graphics, resolution, and FPS options, you get mod support...and you don't have to wait for Sony to fix the problem for you. On PC, a lousy driver update or a harmful component is easily reverted or replaced— not so on the console.

On a more important subject. Is Sony gonna do something against Media bias, or are they gonna be Japanese and polite about it all the more it becomes obvious?

OP
OP
Kokoloko

Kokoloko

Veteran
Icon Extra
21 Jun 2022
Also, I played Marvel Capcom collection the other day on my brother’s PC….. took 20 minutes to set up because the PC wouldnt recognise my dpad on the Dual Sense.

My brother went on to say this never happens and blamed Sony….. lmao. PC gaming, its drivers and its plug and play is nowhere as smooth as consoles, they can keep living in fantasy land.

TrishaCat

Veteran
17 May 2024
this entire thread is "works on my machine :^)"
Since none of you have the capability to do even a modicum of research on your own without whining about the Microsoft boogieman, here's the official Final Fantasy XVI account run by Square Enix addressing the issue:

Last edited:
Reactions: Ico and KvallyX

TrishaCat

Veteran
17 May 2024
[ignore, this post was a list of games claimed to have issues but I can only find confirmation of FF16 having them]

OP
OP
Kokoloko

Kokoloko

Veteran
Icon Extra
21 Jun 2022
this entire thread is "works on my machine :^)"
Since none of you have the capability to do even a modicum of research on your own without whining about the Microsoft boogieman, here's the official Final Fantasy XVI account run by Square Enix addressing the issue:
Yeah because Microsoft doesnt make countless BS accusations… and doesnt have the media making constant attacks on PS.

It wasnt just FF was it? He threw in negative opinions and other games. And fans who have no issues are gonna call out bs

I really dont have time to put together a decade+ worth of shade and shilling. But you keep pretending it doesn't exist

Last edited:

TrishaCat

Veteran
17 May 2024
Yeah because Microsoft doesnt make countless BS accusations… and doesnt have the media making constant attacks on PS.

It wasnt just FF was it? He threw in negative opinions and other games. And fans who have no issues are gonna call out a

I really dont have time to put together a decade+ worth of shade and shilling. But you keep pretending it doesn't exist
why are you linking articles on completely different topics by completely different writers
why do you want to be a victim so bad instead of just accepting "oh, a bad update was pushed out, hope they fix it soon" like a normal person
if you put the blame on square enix i could at least accept that as an argument since the majority of problems the most recent firmware update presents are showing up in Final Fantasy XVI, but instead you chose Microsoft as the enemy when the article is just reporting on a problem people are actually posting about all over on social media? Like are all these gamers posting footage of problems with the games they purchased secretly bought out by the microsoft illuminati? how many people have to complain before you believe it?

OP
OP
Kokoloko

Kokoloko

Veteran
Icon Extra
21 Jun 2022
why are you linking articles on completely different topics by completely different writers
why do you want to be a victim so bad instead of just accepting "oh, a bad update was pushed out, hope they fix it soon" like a normal person
if you put the blame on square enix i could at least accept that as an argument since the majority of problems the most recent firmware update presents are showing up in Final Fantasy XVI, but instead you chose Microsoft as the enemy when the article is just reporting on a problem people are actually posting about all over on social media? Like are all these gamers posting footage of problems with the games they purchased secretly bought out by the microsoft illuminati? how many people have to complain before you believe it?

Ah so calling out on bias by Ms s is victimhood lol.

Why should I accept when no1 I know has had any problems this article is claiming about?
Why should I not call it out when its got an obvious agenda message about best place to play PS games is PC…

Its not Final Fantasy is it… he mentioned Wu Kong and other games.

Im bring out different articles because you make out that MS is innocent and its PS fans who are thinking MS is the boogieman and they are conspiracist lol