Twisted Metal Leak Details Massive Change For Franchise

rofif

...owns a 3080...why?
24 Jun 2022
Half Baked Boo GIF

TM 1,2 and 3 were great fun on the PS1. I never played the rest though. Did the series tank?
Twisted Metal 2 came out 27 years ago.
I love that game. Turned it back on last week and it is unplayable lol.

24 Jun 2022
just because a job listing lists steam backend knowledge means nothing about this game coming to PC, especially not day 1.

I mean, it's probably going to have some form of live-service to it, right? And they may be adding a story mode sounds like but, I doubt it is the main focus of the game. Could be wrong, though.

This is kind of one of those types of games I'd expect a PC version of at least within a six month or so window, if not Day 1. If I'm wrong though, no biggie.

GT7 and MLB are some of the many online service games Sony had planned and they are not day one. Hermen said they possibly might have day one release inside their online games, not that all their online games were going to be day one on PC. In fact, some of them never will be on PC.

Well I can't explain MLB, but GT7 is probably a case where they don't want cheaters possibly messing up the integrity of online. They could force opt-in cross-play but once that happens they'd still need to regularly monitor and address cheating hacks from the PC side because it's magnitudes easier to implement cheats there than on console..

Twisted Metal, it may be a legacy IP, but it doesn't have a lot of modern cultural relevance because it's been inactive for over a decade. This new game will most likely act as a relaunch for the whole brand. It's not going to be single-player driven or story-driven, and after what happened with Destruction All-Stars (they should really put Twinkle Riot in this Twisted Metal somehow but I doubt it happens) they want to ensure the new Twisted Metal finds its audience ASAP.

I don't see why this wouldn't be getting a PC port; I mean it's even being made in UE5 and I think part of the reason for that is to facilitate a PC version more easily. Maybe it isn't a Day 1 game but I can see a six-month window for it like with TLOU Part 1 Remake.

Last edited:

Yurinka

Veteran
VIP
21 Jun 2022
Isnt MLB day 1 on PC? But its day 1 on Xbox?
As far as I know the MLB The Show games have been released recently on Xbox and Switch (and day one), but not in PC.

Maybe some day in the future MLB may decide to release it in PC too, and that's why Hermen said they possibly might release GaaS day one on PC.

D

Deleted member 417

I think TM had great characters, the storyline and cutscenes could be really dark......I think if time is spent with these characters and they focus on a good story and SP, it will be a great game rebooted. No doubt, the MP will be great.
The gameplay was the vehicle (pun intended) that carried the story and cut scenes. Yeah it was ace to see the ending of all of the different characters and how Sweet Tooth Monkey-pawed them all, but it was just a means to an end. The fun was driving around in cars, kicking the the crap out of everyone.

Twisted Metal 2 came out 27 years ago.
I love that game. Turned it back on last week and it is unplayable lol.
I've no doubt that it's an unplayable mess nowadays lol. How the hell did we ever control things with just a d-pad and 4 buttons? I played Syndicate Wars through an Emulator on the Vita and it was just unplayable. Even the PC version using an xbox pad was terrible.

That said, at the time, they were freaking amazing games.

Reactions: thelastword

KiryuRealty

Cambridge Dictionary High Priest of Grammar
28 Nov 2022
Where it’s at.
The gameplay was the vehicle (pun intended) that carried the story and cut scenes. Yeah it was ace to see the ending of all of the different characters and how Sweet Tooth Monkey-pawed them all, but it was just a means to an end. The fun was driving around in cars, kicking the the crap out of everyone.

I've no doubt that it's an unplayable mess nowadays lol. How the hell did we ever control things with just a d-pad and 4 buttons? I played Syndicate Wars through an Emulator on the Vita and it was just unplayable. Even the PC version using an xbox pad was terrible.

It was a D-pad and 8 buttons on the original PS1 pads. There were enough inputs to do some incredible things, but it could be awkward at times, for sure!

Reactions: Deleted member 417

Nym

Did you like my Glasses, Snake?
21 Jun 2022

I mean admittedly they were really fun little stories, kind of like little be careful what you wish for twist endings. I did enjoy them on that level but the notion of them expanding DA LORE and actually having on foot character stuff is eye rolling to me, just focus on creating tight car combat mechanics and a good gameplay loop.

D

Deleted member 417

It was a D-pad and 8 buttons on the original PS1 pads. There were enough inputs to do some incredible things, but it could be awkward at times, for sure!
I should have clarified 4 face buttons. As in, dpad+buttons vs 2 sticks.
I mean admittedly they were really fun little stories, kind of like little be careful what you wish for twist endings. I did enjoy them on that level but the notion of them expanding DA LORE and actually having on foot character stuff is eye rolling to me, just focus on creating tight car combat mechanics and a good gameplay loop.
I agree 100%. The twists and story were fun, but to make that the centre piece of the game? No thanks. Not unless they can make an interesting campaign out of each character where the story is fleshed out a little more between races. Outside of that? I'm with you, tight car combat mechanics, fun gameplay and realistic destruction.

• they're_right_you_know
Reactions: Nym

Nym

Did you like my Glasses, Snake?
21 Jun 2022
I agree 100%. The twists and story were fun, but to make that the centre piece of the game? No thanks.

Yeah if you think about it it was basically the format of a fighting game, they just created a roster of creative freaks and you did an arcade ladder and saw a cinematic ending.

I do like more single player content, what they are doing with SF6 is cool and MK saw a lot of success adding a movie style narrative mode, so maybe it could work on some level here but I'd be happy with the old format of just playing through an arcade ladder with all the characters to see their individual little stories.

• they're_right_you_know

rofif

...owns a 3080...why?
24 Jun 2022

I played that on keyboard and loved it lol. But it's so hard to play nowadays :p

• Shake

Kokoloko

Veteran
Icon Extra
21 Jun 2022
As far as I know the MLB The Show games have been released recently on Xbox and Switch (and day one), but not in PC.

Maybe some day in the future MLB may decide to release it in PC too, and that's why Hermen said they possibly might release GaaS day one on PC.

Considering its on both Xbox and Switch day 1 its weird Its not PC day 1

Weyland

15 Feb 2023
I think this should be a PS+ game to boost the playerbase.
Maybe even free to play.

P

peter42O

Loved Twisted Metal back in the day. That was the first game I bought and played on PlayStation followed by Destruction Derby. Great times!! I'm definitely interested in seeing how a new Twisted Metal ends up. I would prefer the arena style of the original game but I would guess that's probably unlikely to happen.

Elder Legend

CEO of Gaming Instincts (Industry Veteran)
10 Jan 2023
I hope it will be good. The PS3 game was abysmal. This IP could work well as a BR combat racing game as a Game as a Service.

Reactions: PropellerEar

PropellerEar

Veteran
Founder
21 Jun 2022
Had so much fun with Twisted Metal, specially World Tour.
Will try it if there will be a new one, but can't say I'm hyped after the ps3 game.

Reactions: Elder Legend

Shmunter

Veteran
22 Jul 2022
Not sure how many are aware, but there is it free to play vehicle combat game out on console called Crossout, I have not played.