U.S. Government limiting NVidia sales of chips to China

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bryank75

I don't get ulcers, I give 'em!
Founder
18 Jun 2022
icon-era.com

Nvidia has seen prices for their chips fall recently and are expected to tumble more dramatically in the coming months, pushing investors to sell off shares. So this news comes at a bad time for the company.

D

Deleted member 13

This sucks as I have heavily invested in Nvidia. They are an excellent company but they need sales in order for stock to go higher. BUT I can understand the concern from the U.S. with China getting the tech.

24 Jun 2022
This sucks as I have heavily invested in Nvidia. They are an excellent company but they need sales in order for stock to go higher. BUT I can understand the concern from the U.S. with China getting the tech.

Yeah I imagine this is bad for investors & shareholders but at the same time, some critical part of the future of this country's data integrity & security could be at risk*, so it's nice to see that being put ahead of profits for a change.

*I mean it is already at risk/compromised even by our own government with things like the NSA and big tech companies working with them, but that doesn't mean even further risk or degrading of what privacy & security is left has to be enabled by American companies to governments like the CCP.

Reactions: Deleted member 13
D

Deleted member 13

Yeah I imagine this is bad for investors & shareholders but at the same time, some critical part of the future of this country's data integrity & security could be at risk*, so it's nice to see that being put ahead of profits for a change.

*I mean it is already at risk/compromised even by our own government with things like the NSA and big tech companies working with them, but that doesn't mean even further risk or degrading of what privacy & security is left has to be enabled by American companies to governments like the CCP.
Exactly.

ethomaz

Rebolation!
21 Jun 2022
Brasil 🇧🇷
PSN ID
ethomaz
I understand the concern too but it is a useless move.
China has several ways to get a nVidia chip without US knows it is being China.

nVidia’s AI chips will reach China no matter what type of block Biden does.

• they're_right_you_know
Reactions: Deleted member 13

IntentionalPun

Veteran
Founder
22 Jun 2022
Urf
onlyfans.com
I understand the concern too but it is a useless move.
China has several ways to get a nVidia chip without US knows it is being China.

nVidia’s AI chips will reach China no matter what type of block Biden does.
It will make it harder for sure.

Laws never stop everything, they limit things.. doesn't make them useless.

If nVidia thought the impact wouldn't be high they'd have not said to expect $400 million less in sales if the embargo happens.

TubzGaming

Admin | Mod
Moderating
21 Jun 2022
icon-era.com
PSN ID
Tubz_Gaming
I find it funny that they are trying to limit things like this.
Limit tech to and from China to "protect" the country from data leaks and not let the money flow to much.
Meanwhile in the US they are having problems with someone who stole files and pretended not to have them, right under there own noses.

It is completely understandable to do such things to protect themselves but the timing couldn't be worse.
Also "we don't want countries getting our data and spying on its citizens! - only we can do that."

24 Jun 2022
Also "we don't want countries getting our data and spying on its citizens! - only we can do that."

I mean, basically 😂. But it's just a weird part of the human psyche: it's messed up no matter what but lots of folks are more "okay" (or tolerate more) being screwed over by people they consider part of their own group/clique etc. (as long as it isn't blatantly egregious or so bad it can't be ignored), than those they consider outside of it.

"Better the crook you know than the thief you don't" or something like that.

ksdixon

Dixon Cider Ltd.
Icon Extra
22 Jun 2022
Dont worry mate. MS have first refusal if anyone else tries to buy NVIDIA, from cutting and running on the OGXB, if I recall correctly. You should be quids-in as Im sure there'll be all manner of hardware manufacturing/software bits MS will want towards Windows or Game Streaming, possibly building their own Surface hardware in house?

Yurinka

Veteran
VIP
21 Jun 2022
It is a dumb move to make this, to drop the market of Nvidia and potentially cause a response from China, Rusia, etc. as it could be to stop manufacturing Nvidia (or USA in general) stuff or selling them the components needed.

It is also funny to listen westerns mentioning that the CCP 'controls all companies' in China when later we see the Pentagon, NSA and other agencies controlling big US tech and social media companies.

• brain
Reactions: Bryank75
Status
Not open for further replies.