Ubisoft issues statement to Japanese fans regarding historical accuracy

John Elden Ring

The Thread Maker
Content Creator
5 Jul 2022
United States
Their official response, which can be read in full below, has been shared via the Assassin's Creed Twitter account half an hour ago:

GTKQnjGawAAO42N

GTKQnjgbEAA5gBE

GTKQnj4aAAA6OJ1

GTKQnkVagAAB9GC

Last edited:

Ico

Icon Extra
8 May 2024
They finally said it, its a game, not a history channel documentary. People will have to deal with it.

• they're_right_you_know
Reactions: Diah and Entropi

ToTTenTranz

Veteran
Icon Extra
4 Aug 2023
Guys, please stop needlessly defending a $2.5B corporation who doesn't even know you exist...

Ubisoft always showed immense pride in the accuracy of their Assassin's Creed games' historical setting.

A message like this is unprecedented from Ubisoft and it comes as a response to the Japanese community -> not the white supremacists, not the nazis, not the Trump supporters, not the USA republicans, not the Russians, not the toxic Star Wars fans and not the godmother fairy.

It's time for some people to acknowledge there are serious problems with the game's representation of Japan and the Japanese.

quest4441

Veteran
27 Feb 2024
Yasuke as the protagonist is simply to take advantage of the american craziness but they just missed the date by about 4 years, should have rushed it out for 2020. They had a wide assortment of samurai and ninjas to choose from heian , kamakura, sengoku, edo periods spanning a whole 1000 yrs if they wanted historical accuracy like they said.

All that said I had very low interest in AC before and whatever little interest I had evaporated by this obvious shitbaggery tactic.

JAHGamer

Banned
8 May 2023
So he wasn't a samurai? All these people saying he was this big hero samurai when the game was announced are hiding now.

Satoru must be livid 😂
They said its a matter of debate and discussion, but the game is fiction (like every other AC) so it doesn't matter. Yasuke is portrayed as a Samurai in countless Japanese works for decades, including in Rise of the Ronin. It's never been an issue until now 🤷‍♂️

image.png

• they're_right_you_know
Reactions: Diah and voke

voke

Veteran
10 Jan 2023
Crazy I seen a brother in Nioh 2 and started busting out laughing because it came outta nowhere. Japan has always used his likeness, but it's a problem when Ubi does it I guess. His armor is also in Rise of The Ronin.

It makes me very sad inside that this is the amount of discourse making a black man your protagonist gets :(

Gods&Monsters

Veteran
21 Jun 2022
They said its a matter of debate and discussion, but the game is fiction (like every other AC) so it doesn't matter. Yasuke is portrayed as a Samurai in countless Japanese works for decades, including in Rise of the Ronin. It's never been an issue until now 🤷‍♂️

image.png
Rise of the Ronin was made by japanese devs so I don't know if it changes something in this "controversy"? ROTR is also a new IP so not much baggage unlike Assassin’s Creed 🤷‍♂️

Didn't nioh have you play as an Irish guy called William who becomes a samurai in Japan killing demons?
William Adams is a real person and Nioh was also made by japanese devs (Team Ninja) so they can't use "cultural appropriation" in that case.

voke

Veteran
10 Jan 2023
Rise of the Ronin was made by japanese devs so I don't know if it changes something in this "controversy"? ROTR is also a new IP so not much baggage unlike Assassin’s Creed 🤷‍♂️

William Adams is a real person and Nioh was also made by japanese devs (Team Ninja) so they can't use "cultural appropriation" in that case.

Yeah William was odd at first but I always respected that he was an actual figure "blue eyed samurai" and ended up enjoying his character in the end. Happy they made him a secret boss on ROTR

JAHGamer

Banned
8 May 2023
actually it's changed slightly lol

iFzeX6R.png
the overall premise is the same, inspired by historical events but obviously a work of fiction. Everyone understood that until the new game
Doesn't refute my point, either Yasuke being depicted as a Samurai is ok or it's not. If you weren't mad about it the last several decades, then why be mad now?

Reactions: Diah

Englishy

6 Jun 2024
They finally said it, its a game, not a history channel documentary. People will have to deal with it.
Highly doubt it.

They don't care about historical accuracy; they just want a digital victory against the woke boogeyman that's hiding in an .exe file.

• they're_right_you_know
Reactions: Diah

Zzero

Major Tom
9 Jan 2023
Guys, please stop needlessly defending a $2.5B corporation who doesn't even know you exist...

Ubisoft always showed immense pride in the accuracy of their Assassin's Creed games' historical setting.

Realistically speaking, they ran into a wall with historical accuracy with 3 and gave up even trying to be historically accurate starting with 4.

27 Jun 2023
United kingdom
Just seen this , they must be feeling the pressure couldn't see them bothering to make a statement otherwise ,also funny how they try & say certain consultants (obviously talking about sweet baby inc , black girl gamers etc) they consulted with aren't responsible for creative decisions. Like tf you pay them for then 🤣

27 Jun 2023
United kingdom
the overall premise is the same, inspired by historical events but obviously a work of fiction. Everyone understood that until the new game

Doesn't refute my point, either Yasuke being depicted as a Samurai is ok or it's not. If you weren't mad about it the last several decades, then why be mad now?
I think it's about weird going round as a black man slaughtering the Japanese , gaming media like ign has a problem with resident evil 5 because of the skin colour of most the zombies lol