Ubisoft issues statement to Japanese fans regarding historical accuracy

JAHGamer

Banned
8 May 2023
I think it's about weird going round as a black man slaughtering the Japanese , gaming media like ign has a problem with resident evil 5 because of the skin colour of most the zombies lol
Two wrongs don’t make a right, IGN about RE5 is stupid and same with Yasuke “slaughtering the Japanese”. Both are nothing but virtue signaling. A game about killing should suddenly stop having killing? 😂

Reactions: Diah

AllBizness

Veteran
22 Jul 2023
Not sure why all the hate. Maybe it's because Ubisoft is a French company? France is still colonizing several countries Africa to this day.

Say1nMan

Veteran
28 Jul 2023
Haven't pay much attention to what the Japanese audience are actually saying about this game but if Ubi Soft had to issued an apology to them then that's not a good look PR and marketing wise. Ubi Soft has had weird moments with Assassin's Creed though. For example, AC Unity took place in France with French characters yet they decided to give those French characters not only British accents but varying degree of British accents. Considering the long storied history of England and France the result was jarring and hilarious at the same time and given the fact that Ubi Soft is a French Canadian game company.

Reactions: ToTTenTranz

ToTTenTranz

Veteran
Icon Extra
4 Aug 2023
Ubisoft always showed immense pride in the accuracy of their Assassin's Creed games' historical setting.

What a liar you are

Back to petty and cheap insults, I see.

At Ubisoft.com

At Ubisoft.com

At Ubisoft.com

At Ubisoft's youtube video on AC Shadows:

The historical character of Yasuke presented a really exciting opportunity for the narrative team. We approached it in the same way that so much of the work is done in Assassin's Creed, which is really in terms of research and History first.
(...)
The more we read that about the character the more he was inspiring for us.

The more they "read about the character"... does that mean the whole 4 paragraphs or history-crook Thomas Lockley's made up stuff?

At another of Ubisoft's youtube videos on AC Shadows:
(...) he learned Japanese quite fast. And he was very fluent into the Japanese culture, and that impressed Oda.
There's zero proof, or indication that he was "very fluent into the Japanese culture", and the only mention about his language skills are "he spoke mediocrely the language of Japan". That's literally it, all there is about Yasuke's knowledge of language and culture of Japan.
https://icon-era.com/threads/cultur...new-assassins-creed.12040/page-16#post-284615
Captura de ecrã 2024-07-24 004634.png

• Surprised
Reactions: 2spooky5me

JAHGamer

Banned
8 May 2023
Back to petty and cheap insults, I see.
Not an insult at all just a fact

And can you not read? “accurate ENOUGH” 🤦‍♂️

I just want to point out ghost of tsushima did not have these issues by the Japanese.
There was outrage by virtue signaling westerners that it’s wrong for white guys to make a Japanese game but the Japanese never really cared. Now AC Shadows outrage is once again only coming from virtue signaling westerners. Just from the opposite end of the spectrum, two sides of the same coin

• they're_right_you_know

Gods&Monsters

Veteran
21 Jun 2022
Doesn't refute my point, either Yasuke being depicted as a Samurai is ok or it's not. If you weren't mad about it the last several decades, then why be mad now?
Personally I'm not "mad" (I think the AC character looks great) but it's just funny how all the "wokes" suddenly became japanese experts when the game was announced.

According to the hivemind, Yasuke was this legendary Samurai that was given his own land, a house, a sword. He was the personal bodyguard of Nobunaga. The Chosen One, etc.

All that fake stuff was invented by an american writer with zero credibility 🤣

JAHGamer

Banned
8 May 2023
Personally I'm not "mad" (I think the AC character looks great) but it's just funny how all the "wokes" suddenly became japanese experts when the game was announced.

According to the hivemind, Yasuke was this legendary Samurai that was given his own land, a house, a sword. He was the personal bodyguard of Nobunaga. The Chosen One, etc.

All that fake stuff was invented by an american writer with zero credibility 🤣
The only fake experts are the bad actors that keep saying he was “nothing but a slave”. No one really knows but the Japanese themselves have literally referred to him as “the legendary black Samurai” for decades, so I don’t see why it’s so bad when Ubisoft does it. And the stuff about him being given a house, sword, and land was just recently corroborated by a Japanese historian, so the “American writer with zero credibility” wasn’t all wrong 🤷‍♂️

Like they said, it’s up for debate and discussion but it shouldn’t matter since it’s clearly FICTION

peter42O

Veteran
12 Jan 2024
Controversy or not, I'll be playing Assassin's Creed Shadows day one on Ubisoft+ baby!! All the people bitching were never ever going to play the game anyway and have no meaning in life so they need to bitch about something and nothing better than bitching about interactive entertainment known as video games. lmao

Reactions: Diah and JAHGamer

Englishy

6 Jun 2024
She's never been right in her life
But she IS right on this.

First, if you don't want to see a black person in a fictional universe, then don't spend your time and money on that universe. Vote with your wallet.

Second, it's ultra bizarre to call Ubisoft 'woke' because they created something in a creative medium. The entire point of videogames is to go wild because ultimately, you're creating a game. If you start penalizing companies for doing exactly that, frankly, you're going to end up with $70 snoozefests that offer nothing to anyone.

Third, let's cut the shit and be honest. A minority of white people hate seeing black people in media. It's ok to admit it; nobody is going to arrest you for wanting a white mermaid instead of a black one. But if you're over the age of 18, you need to seriously ask yourself why you care about the race of a person in an .exe, .mp4, .mov, .avi, JPEG etc. I'm not trying to be weird. Just ask yourself if your life will improve by seeing a race change in a movie/videogame/tv show/comic etc.

• they're_right_you_know
  • Heart
Reactions: Diah and JAHGamer
27 Jun 2023
United kingdom
But she IS right on this.

First, if you don't want to see a black person in a fictional universe, then don't spend your time and money on that universe. Vote with your wallet.

Second, it's ultra bizarre to call Ubisoft 'woke' because they created something in a creative medium. The entire point of videogames is to go wild because ultimately, you're creating a game. If you start penalizing companies for doing exactly that, frankly, you're going to end up with $70 snoozefests that offer nothing to anyone.

Third, let's cut the shit and be honest. A minority of white people hate seeing black people in media. It's ok to admit it; nobody is going to arrest you for wanting a white mermaid instead of a black one. But if you're over the age of 18, you need to seriously ask yourself why you care about the race of a person in an .exe, .mp4, .mov, .avi, JPEG etc. I'm not trying to be weird. Just ask yourself if your life will improve by seeing a race change in a movie/videogame/tv show/comic etc.
Why are you ranting about mermaids to me & saying I should ask myself questions all I did was post one of Alyssa's ranting articles , people on here get way too sensitive about shit... I mean ubisoft wrote this statement specifically addressing the Japanese & is most likely down to Japanese politicians calling out ubisoft , the tweet I linked that shows Alyssa saying ubsisoft should've just called them racist & told them to get bent is just an incredibly bad take

Danja

Veteran
Icon Extra
10 Mar 2023
Why are you ranting about mermaids to me & saying I should ask myself questions all I did was post one of Alyssa's ranting articles , people on here get way too sensitive about shit... I mean ubisoft wrote this statement specifically addressing the Japanese & is most likely down to Japanese politicians calling out ubisoft , the tweet I linked that shows Alyssa saying ubsisoft should've just called them racist & told them to get bent is just an incredibly bad take
It's so funny how you're always on the opposing spectrum of these discussions and by opposite I mean always on the wrong side. Makes one goes, hmmm 🤨

• they're_right_you_know

JAHGamer

Banned
8 May 2023
The only ones that get sensitive about this Yasuke stuff is the ones against it. Some guy who I won’t name was crying to the mods just cuz I respectfully disagreed with him about this 😂 Alyssa’s message was aimed at disingenuous grifters that make money from rage baiting, trash people like Grummz and the people who follow him. And she’s absolutely right 🤷‍♂️ but we can agree to disagree and move on. This topic is getting tiresome

• they're_right_you_know