Ubisoft seeks to replicate the success of Ghost of Tsushima in Japan with Assassin's Creed Shadows

saltyashell

11 Feb 2024
From the gameplay trailer, the combat system looks like the same weightless, button mashing system they've had at least since Odyssey. They are the Madden of action adventure games, so it makes sense that each release is the equivalent of a roster update in Madden or 2K. Of course this will easily sell 10+ million copies

Kokoloko

Veteran
Icon Extra
21 Jun 2022
From the gameplay trailer, the combat system looks like the same weightless, button mashing system they've had at least since Odyssey. They are the Madden of action adventure games, so it makes sense that each release is the equivalent of a roster update in Madden or 2K. Of course this will easily sell 10+ million copies

The combat has been the same from Origins to this right? I never played them after an hour or so into Origins.
I prefer AC2/3/Blackflag etc combat to the AC Origins and following games

Nym

Did you like my Glasses, Snake?
21 Jun 2022
The moment stealth hidden blade assassinations no longer instant killed enemies, I was done with this franchise, absolute nonsense lol

• brain
Reactions: Kokoloko

ToTTenTranz

Veteran
Icon Extra
4 Aug 2023
All the people convinced that AC Shadows is going to sell extremely well (above 10 million) seem to forget that:

1 - There's been mainline AC games that flopped during release, like Unity and then Rogue. AC Shadows selling 1 million copies at $70 and then 9 million at $15 discount bin means the game didn't really sell well, and that's what happened with Unity and Rogue.

2 - There are way more AAA AC-esque games/franchises now than there's ever been.

3 - Pre-release blowback on this scale never happened for an AC game before.

4 - The game will always live under the shadow of a Ghost of Tsushima, which recently got a PC release and its sequel is probably going to shit on AC Shadows' parade by getting its announcement this year.

5 - Given the massive scale of these games and all the budget bloating that happened during covid, it's very possible that 10 million sales aren't enough to recoup the investment.

Again, AC Unity's sales flop happened after the massive sales success and momentum created by AC 3 and IV Black Flag. Nothing is too big to fail and the gaming History is filled with such examples (Halo Infinite, Saints Row, Wolfenstein Youngblood, etc.).

Dabaus

Veteran
28 Jun 2022
All the people convinced that AC Shadows is going to sell extremely well (above 10 million) seem to forget that:

1 - There's been mainline AC games that flopped during release, like Unity and then Rogue. AC Shadows selling 1 million copies at $70 and then 9 million at $15 discount bin means the game didn't really sell well, and that's what happened with Unity and Rogue.

2 - There are way more AAA AC-esque games/franchises now than there's ever been.

3 - Pre-release blowback on this scale never happened for an AC game before.

4 - The game will always live under the shadow of a Ghost of Tsushima, which recently got a PC release and its sequel is probably going to shit on AC Shadows' parade by getting its announcement this year.

5 - Given the massive scale of these games and all the budget bloating that happened during covid, it's very possible that 10 million sales aren't enough to recoup the investment.

Again, AC Unity's sales flop happened after the massive sales success and momentum created by AC 3 and IV Black Flag. Nothing is too big to fail and the gaming History is filled with such examples (Halo Infinite, Saints Row, Wolfenstein Youngblood, etc.).
Both Ubsisoft games this year Star wars outlaws and AC: Shadows are walking into a buzzsaw of "Antiwoke" (hate the term but you know what i mean) sentiment. Neither really received positive reception online and there isnt alot of media from movies to especially games in particular that can over come the stigma. The Star Wars Acolyte show probably destroyed whatever good will star wars fans ever had about the series the star wars game looks to be more in the vein. AC: Shadows is genuinely ridiculous how they tried to rewrite Japanese history to make a leftist narrative real.

I think both are going to underperform in major ways. I suspect by this time next year Ubisoft will have new management, probably the Saudis as owners.

Reactions: laynelane

ToTTenTranz

Veteran
Icon Extra
4 Aug 2023
Both Ubsisoft games this year Star wars outlaws and AC: Shadows are walking into a buzzsaw of "Antiwoke" (hate the term but you know what i mean) sentiment. Neither really received positive reception online and there isnt alot of media from movies to especially games in particular that can over come the stigma. The Star Wars Acolyte show probably destroyed whatever good will star wars fans ever had about the series the star wars game looks to be more in the vein. AC: Shadows is genuinely ridiculous how they tried to rewrite Japanese history to make a leftist narrative real.

I think both are going to underperform in major ways. I suspect by this time next year Ubisoft will have new management, probably the Saudis as owners.

I think they'll both fail (as in, fail to meet expectations and not fail to sell many copies) but for different reasons.

Star Wars Outlaws seems to be in a very rough shape on some stuff like animations, voice acting and general gameplay. The Acolyte was indeed terrible but it looks like Star Wars fans have learned to compartmentalize the videogames from the rest. For example, Jedi Fallen Order and Squadrons released after The Last Jedi and Solo but it was well received by fans and it seems to have sold quite well. Jedi Survivor released after the terrible Boba Fett and Obi Wan TV series, but it got well received as well.

Sure, most of the original Star Wars fandom is numb to Star Wars media nowadays, but IMO most of them have been like that since Disney showed them hermit Jake Skywalker drinking space cow's milk from the space tit and shortly after dying from running out of Force batteries. It's not like the POWER OF MANYYYY crap made a lot more people numb.

I think AC Shadows will fail because it's just a worse Ghost of Tsushima that goes out of its way to be comically disrespectful of Japanese culture in order to appeal to modern audiences, whomever those might be.