UK PM’s Spokesman: Brad Smith is misguided in saying that the decision to block the deal is “bad for Britain.”

Unchained

5 Dec 2022

The UK disputed criticism by Microsoft Corp. after the country’s antitrust watchdog blocked a proposed $69 billion deal for Activision Blizzard Inc.

Prime Minister Rishi Sunak’s spokesman, Max Blain, told reporters that Microsoft President Brad Smith was misguided in saying that the decision to block the deal was “bad for Britain.” Smith spoke earlier to the BBC, criticizing the move by the UK’s Competition and Markets Authority to intervene in the blockbuster gaming deal.

The UK games market is rapidly growing, and “doubled in size over the past decade,” Blain told reporters Thursday, valuing the industry’s contribution to Britain at £7 billion ($8.73 billion) in 2022. Last year, the UK became the third country in the world to have its tech sector valued at $1 trillion, Blain said.

“The UK will continue to engage pro-actively with Microsoft,” Blain said.

The CMA blocked the deal on Wednesday, citing competition concerns. “Preventing the development of entrenched market power in the first place is the most effective way to safeguard competition,” Sarah Cardell, the CMA’s chief executive officer, said.

Vertigo

Did you show the Darkness what Light can do?
26 Jun 2022
MS thinks it can do US politics abroad.

Get fucked.

I’m still shocked at the UK outcome. MS and the gates foundation still own everyone. Most disgusting was Washington state … at least we got a transparent look at who the ms corporate stooges and crony capitalists are in government.

This outcome has given me hope to be honest. Microsoft can get fucked into oblivion. Hope they burn.

They’ve earned all these failures… and they’re still not done fucking everything up yet. They still have Bethesda to bury.

Hopefully, Twitter starts filtering out all the astroturfers. The amount of shills for this failing platform rings the bullshit alarm.

Zeroing

Veteran
6 Jul 2022
Like I told on the other thread, when a mega corporation thinks and acts like they are above a country, that’s a red flag.

Microsoft doesn’t even try to hide how untrustworthy they are. People like to say Sony is the arrogant company? Nah Microsoft is the arrogant one.

ethomaz

Rebolation!
21 Jun 2022
Brasil 🇧🇷
PSN ID
ethomaz
I told you guys the 🤡 circus MS was doing just works in US.
Outside US MS just become a joke.

Paid newspaper articles, blog posts, presentations, etc all circus done to gather public to be on their side like they do in US but it doesn't work in more strong independ goverments like UK.

Bryank75

I don't get ulcers, I give 'em!
Founder
18 Jun 2022
icon-era.com
Coaches Singing GIF by The Voice

That's what Brad needed, a good public bitchslap!

GTFO with your threats Brad... this isn't the Sopranos and if it was you'd be a rat.

Bryank75

I don't get ulcers, I give 'em!
Founder
18 Jun 2022
icon-era.com
Did Jim threaten the countries where the deal was approved? Who’s the arrogant one again?

Exactly, who the F goes around threatening countries.... the 'friendly face to regulators' really dropped the minute they didn't get what they wanted.

Truth is, they never respected regulators, I think we all knew that here.

AshHunter216

Banned
8 Jan 2023
I’m still shocked at the UK outcome. MS and the gates foundation still own everyone. Most disgusting was Washington state … at least we got a transparent look at who the ms corporate stooges and crony capitalists are in government.

This outcome has given me hope to be honest. Microsoft can get fucked into oblivion. Hope they burn.

They’ve earned all these failures… and they’re still not done fucking everything up yet. They still have Bethesda to bury.

Hopefully, Twitter starts filtering out all the astroturfers. The amount of shills for this failing platform rings the bullshit alarm.
I wasn't surprised that MS had shills, but I was surprised at the sheer number of them that came out of the woodworks to promote this deal. From lawyers to journalists, game devs, politicians and a professor it was pretty disturbing to see how large their web of influence actually was.

Entropi

Veteran
Icon Extra
22 Jan 2023
MS just thinks they are above countries and laws :D

They are in the US but that’s how the system works there. Corporations can legally buy a politician to legislate for them. Insane!

I see some of this at work in the EU with the appointment of a MS employee (basically) to the regulatory body overseeing the merger. I guess the UK is the only bastion of hope for consumers.

ethomaz

Rebolation!
21 Jun 2022
Brasil 🇧🇷
PSN ID
ethomaz
Well, when Microsoft buys Square, Capcom, Sega, and all other smaller studios… UK will be to blame.
That doesn't even makes sense.
First Japan regulatiors are the biggest issue for these.
Second they are very small compared to Activion Blizzard so CMA, EU, etc won't even reach Phase 2.

What the point to MS to buy publishers that doesn't sell well on Xbox? :unsure:

But hey MS could have wasting that time and money making circus and focus to release games to you play... imagine if that happens.

AshHunter216

Banned
8 Jan 2023
That doesn't even makes sense.
First Japan regulatiors are the biggest issue for these.
Second they are very small compared to Activion Blizzard so CMA, EU, etc won't even reach Phase 2.

What the point to MS to buy publishers that doesn't sell well on Xbox? :unsure:

But hey MS could have wasting that time and money making circus and focus to release games to you play... imagine if that happens.
He's just throwing a tantrum.