UK PM’s Spokesman: Brad Smith is misguided in saying that the decision to block the deal is “bad for Britain.”

Gediminas

Boy...
Founder
21 Jun 2022
Well, when Microsoft buys Square, Capcom, Sega, and all other smaller studios… UK will be to blame.
John Candy Reaction GIF

Yurinka

Veteran
VIP
21 Jun 2022
Well, when Microsoft buys Square, Capcom, Sega, and all other smaller studios… UK will be to blame.
No, MS would be to blame. MS would be the ones who would decide to acquire, not UK. And well, I'm pretty sure none of these publishers would want to sell, specially to MS. And in case MS would try to buy them and they would want to sell, regulators would also have to approve it.

I think it should be way, way easier to get the approval than with ABK. But who knows, a drunk regulator blocked the ABK deal for being concerned about potential (or not) implications on a tiny market that may (or not) be important in the future. So who knows, maybe another one could block the Square Enix acquisition because of being concerned about potential monopoly in the 'JRPG market' or something like that.

Now everything is possible.

That doesn't even makes sense.
First Japan regulatiors are the biggest issue for these.
Second they are very small compared to Activion Blizzard so CMA, EU, etc won't even reach Phase 2.

What the point to MS to buy publishers that doesn't sell well on Xbox? :unsure:

But hey MS could have wasting that time and money making circus and focus to release games to you play... imagine if that happens.
I assume the theory would be that MS would want to improve their catalog and 1st party lineup by securing that these publishers release their games on their platform and also to block their release in direct competitor platforms.

Last edited:

Johnic

Veteran
24 Mar 2023
Outer Heaven
At some point someone should make an official statement calling these creeps out. Seriously, INCREDIBLY unprofessional behavior from MS. I've never heard a Sony or Nintendo executive act this way.

Threatening yet another country? Sue the fuckers and send a message.

And I wonder why the diehard xbox fans are this bad. Can't expect much from the fanbase when the people in charge act like petulant children.

Last edited:

Cool hand luke

Veteran
14 Feb 2023
Microsoft just can't win anywhere these days. The masks are coming off and the damage being done to their business and reputation is irreversible.

They won't be able to buy ANY publisher with how the CMA dismantled them and gave themselves a blueprint to block anything over cloud market concerns.

Nhomnhom

Banned
25 Mar 2023
Microsoft just can't win anywhere these days. The masks are coming off and the damage being done to their business and reputation is irreversible.

They won't be able to buy ANY publisher with how the CMA dismantled them and gave themselves a blueprint to block anything over cloud market concerns.
They just can't win anywhere where they can't force people to use their product or leverage their massive size. Their corporate culture sucks and that reflects on all their products.

ksdixon

Dixon Cider Ltd.
22 Jun 2022
No, MS would be to blame. MS would be the ones who would decide to acquire, not UK. And well, I'm pretty sure none of these publishers would want to sell, specially to MS. And in case MS would try to buy them and they would want to sell, regulators would also have to approve it.

I think it should be way, way easier to get the approval than with ABK. But who knows, a drunk regulator blocked the ABK deal for being concerned about potential (or not) implications on a tiny market that may (or not) be important in the future. So who knows, maybe another one could block the Square Enix acquisition because of being concerned about potential monopoly in the 'JRPG market' or something like that.

Now everything is possible.

I assume the theory would be that MS would want to improve their catalog and 1st party lineup by securing that these publishers release their games on their platform and also to block their release in direct competitor platforms.
There's also the angle of trying to corner certain genre types. They had Bethesda's fps's and still wanted COD etc.

Reactions: Deleted member 417

Yurinka

Veteran
VIP
21 Jun 2022
I tell you guys as soon the EU blocks the deal, Microsoft will threaten whole Europe.
Angry Season 3 GIF by SuccessionHBO
The CMA already blocked it, if MS doesn't win its appeal against the CMA decision, the acquisition will be stopped independently of whatever other regulators say.

A single regulator blocking the deal means that the deal is dead.

Reactions: Eternal_Wings

Swift_Star

Veteran
2 Jul 2022
not gonna happen. stakeholders aren't letting them waste more time with acquisitions anytime soon after this.

Yurinka

Veteran
VIP
21 Jun 2022
But MS will pull out of the UK. They don't need Europe;s biggest market./s
MS is doing many stupid moves, but would be specially dumb to give Jim Ryan such giant present of giving away the UK only for PS.

Won't happen, MS will simply take the L.