UK regulator posts six studios’ responses to Microsoft-Activision deal, all saying it should go ahead

24 Jun 2022
24:09

Yeah, me too.

I'm telling you right now, if Sony puts COD Day 1 on PS+...that's going to begin the end of PlayStation. You don't put the biggest 3P release of the year on your service Day 1, and then expect your customer base to NOT expect more big AAA Day 1 releases into that same service?

If I'm a PS+ subscriber, and I'm getting the new COD Day 1 in the service, and I see Sony releasing Ghosts 2 for $70...I'm genuinely going to ask myself "Hey Sony? Why isn't Ghosts 2 in PS+ Day 1? COD is!". And a LOT of other people are going to start asking that question.

It's going to lead to less Day 1 sales, meaning prices are going to drop quickly, meaning sales revenue is going to take a steep decline, meaning Sony at that point has to HOPE they can pull in enough revenue from PS+ subs to make up for missed direct sales revenue, but there's a very high probably they will not. Especially if that same scenario plays out with other games, forcing them to bite the bullet and then put all 1P games into PS+ Day 1.

I know some of you are under this impression that if Sony in fact did Day 1 for all games in PS+, they'd get a giant spike in subscribers. And they don't have the problem of loopholes the way Microsoft does, that is true. But let's use GOW Ragnarok as an example. Let's say it reaches 15 million by the end of this FY. 80% PS5 version. No sales or discounts. That's $1.02 billion in revenue.

Me and @Heisenberg007 ran some numbers for services revenue a few weeks ago, cribbing from a few sources. From that, PS+ has made ~ $2.4 billion in revenue for the FY 2022 so far, off of 46.625 million subscribers. For PS+ to work for a GOW Ragnarok, you'd have to factor in at least 75% of the total revenue as additional services revenue; you can't count on how many non-collectors are out there willing to still buy a physical Jontar Edition, for example, so you'd want to cover your bases. That means PS+ would need $3.165 billion in revenue to make the approach of simply GOW Ragnarok Day 1 work. In other words, it'd need 61.482 million subscribers (ARPU averaged out to $51.49) to make it work.

Do you honestly think PS+ would see a 15 million jump in subscribers in a year? Is it theoretically possible? Yes. Realistic? Absolutely not. And then keep in mind, for every additional 1P Day 1 game added, you would need the service to make an additional amount in revenue equivalent to let's say ~ 70% - 75% of that game's peak direct sales revenue rate (the majority of copies sold at full or near-full price), but for some games it would need to account for more (because those may not be the sort of games that have a big enough audience willing to buy physical anyway for Collector's Editions or something like that).

All of that additional required services revenue starts to add up for a company like Sony, where games revenue is actually one of their main pillars for revenue. That is simply NOT the case for Microsoft and gaming profits mean even less to them. That's precisely why they can have a service like Game Pass pull in as little revenue as it does and keep it going no problem, why they can afford to drop all their games Day 1 into the service no problem. Why they are even entertaining the thought of Day 1 COD into the service if they end up acquiring ABK. This stuff means nothing for Microsoft because gaming revenue and profits are never enough to where they leave anything significant on the table, because their actual main pillars (Windows, Office, Azure) generate at least 90% of their actual revenue and more than 90% of their total net profits.

I remember @KiryuRealty saying that the CMA's COD divestiture is a poison pill for the ABK deal. Maybe that's true, maybe it's not. But I'll say, Microsoft's offer to Sony for COD in PS+ is its own poison pill to kick off destabilization of PlayStation revenue and profits. Because I'm sure Microsoft are aware of the expectations COD Day 1 in PS+ will paint among Sony's customers; expectations to want more big AAA games Day 1 and, the possibility of other 3P publishers being able to provide that for Sony being less likely, meaning Sony would have to "lead by example" with their own 1P AAA games.

Which can easily trigger revenue and profit bleed for the PlayStation subsidiary. Reducing Sony's ability to negotiate offers with 3P publishers, due to reduced revenue and sales of 1P releases (which could normally act as credentials of accomplishments for others to reference, marks of proven success beyond just the company's own internal data). Why would those 3P publishers, who still rely on direct sales revenue, feel as comfortable with a platform holder pushing all of their 1P content in their own subscription service to compete with yet another platform holder doing the exact same, driven into that competition state because they were forced to not let their competitor use the biggest 3P game against them?

All of that creates a series of feedback loops that would eventually cause Sony to severely damage the sovereignty of the PlayStation brand and its ability to be self-sufficient in pulling its own weight, when it comes to revenue and profit. Therefore either forcing significant structural changes, or a shuttering of the subsidiary. I think both Microsoft and Sony know this is a probable scenario that can be triggered through offering something as big as COD in PS+ Day 1. I mean sure, Sony could throw COD in PS+ Day 1, and not bring any of their own 1P AAA games into the service, or make deals for other big 3P AAA games into the service Day 1, but then they run the risk of losing COD revenue, not seeing an increase in PS+ subs or service revenue, and some portion of COD players who might've bought the game and other games switch from that to playing COD in PS+ and being content with PS+ offerings over buying other games. That is a best-case scenario, BTW, and would still see some perceptible reduction in spend.

Also even in that best-case scenario for Sony, they still lose something beyond simply negotiating marketing rights for COD, so ultimately it weakens them and that is to Microsoft's benefit. That's why they made the PS+ offer; it betrays their intent in leveraging COD against Sony and no matter Sony's choice, they lose. They can refuse not to put the game in PS+ and risk a chunk of players preferring Xbox and Game Pass for their COD fix going forward, OR they can put it in PS+ and risk training further such expectations for big PS+ AAA releases from their customer base, leading to Sony maybe needing to offer their own AAA games Day 1 and hoping they can make enough additional revenue through the service to make up for loss of direct sales revenue. That path also has the effect of validating Microsoft's strategy at least in terms of optics/perception, because the reality is that Sony would likely be losing a lot of revenue with that option, similar to how Game Pass revenue is nowhere near enough to make up for the losses of direct sales revenue MS 1P AAA games have due to being Day 1 there.

But like I said earlier, for MS games revenue and profit are non-important. For Sony, they are a core pillar of their financial health. MS know this and the COD for PS+ offer is to partially force Sony into undermining their own financial stability in gaming. That's why it can be argued as its own poison pill.

• fire
Reactions: Gods&Monsters

Dr Bass

The doctor is in
Founder
20 Jun 2022
Good. Pretty much all big publishers and developers are for the deal to go through.

It's better for the gaming industry as a whole 🤷‍♂️
First statement has absolutely no data to support it. You've surveyed all the "big" publishers and developers? Btw, big publishers being in favor of greed and corruption in transactions isn't exactly a ringing endorsement.

Your second statement is absolutely false. It's been said over and over that consolidation and reduction of competition while devaluing game pricing is extremely bad for the industry.

SLB1904

Actually born in 1904!
22 Jun 2022
First statement has absolutely no data to support it. You've surveyed all the "big" publishers and developers? Btw, big publishers being in favor of greed and corruption in transactions isn't exactly a ringing endorsement.

Your second statement is absolutely false. It's been said over and over that consolidation and reduction of competition while devaluing game pricing is extremely bad for the industry.
Imagine try to argue in good faith with Adam 😆

Gods&Monsters

Veteran
Icon Extra
21 Jun 2022
I'm telling you right now, if Sony puts COD Day 1 on PS+...that's going to begin the end of PlayStation. You don't put the biggest 3P release of the year on your service Day 1, and then expect your customer base to NOT expect more big AAA Day 1 releases into that same service?

If I'm a PS+ subscriber, and I'm getting the new COD Day 1 in the service, and I see Sony releasing Ghosts 2 for $70...I'm genuinely going to ask myself "Hey Sony? Why isn't Ghosts 2 in PS+ Day 1? COD is!". And a LOT of other people are going to start asking that question.

It's going to lead to less Day 1 sales, meaning prices are going to drop quickly, meaning sales revenue is going to take a steep decline, meaning Sony at that point has to HOPE they can pull in enough revenue from PS+ subs to make up for missed direct sales revenue, but there's a very high probably they will not. Especially if that same scenario plays out with other games, forcing them to bite the bullet and then put all 1P games into PS+ Day 1.
Yes 100% and that's MS plan all along. To starve the competition (Sony) until it's not worth it anymore.

Which can easily trigger revenue and profit bleed for the PlayStation subsidiary. Reducing Sony's ability to negotiate offers with 3P publishers, due to reduced revenue and sales of 1P releases (which could normally act as credentials of accomplishments for others to reference, marks of proven success beyond just the company's own internal data). Why would those 3P publishers, who still rely on direct sales revenue, feel as comfortable with a platform holder pushing all of their 1P content in their own subscription service to compete with yet another platform holder doing the exact same, driven into that competition state because they were forced to not let their competitor use the biggest 3P game against them?

All of that creates a series of feedback loops that would eventually cause Sony to severely damage the sovereignty of the PlayStation brand and its ability to be self-sufficient in pulling its own weight, when it comes to revenue and profit. Therefore either forcing significant structural changes, or a shuttering of the subsidiary. I think both Microsoft and Sony know this is a probable scenario that can be triggered through offering something as big as COD in PS+ Day 1. I mean sure, Sony could throw COD in PS+ Day 1, and not bring any of their own 1P AAA games into the service, or make deals for other big 3P AAA games into the service Day 1, but then they run the risk of losing COD revenue, not seeing an increase in PS+ subs or service revenue, and some portion of COD players who might've bought the game and other games switch from that to playing COD in PS+ and being content with PS+ offerings over buying other games. That is a best-case scenario, BTW, and would still see some perceptible reduction in spend.

Also even in that best-case scenario for Sony, they still lose something beyond simply negotiating marketing rights for COD, so ultimately it weakens them and that is to Microsoft's benefit. That's why they made the PS+ offer; it betrays their intent in leveraging COD against Sony and no matter Sony's choice, they lose. They can refuse not to put the game in PS+ and risk a chunk of players preferring Xbox and Game Pass for their COD fix going forward, OR they can put it in PS+ and risk training further such expectations for big PS+ AAA releases from their customer base, leading to Sony maybe needing to offer their own AAA games Day 1 and hoping they can make enough additional revenue through the service to make up for loss of direct sales revenue. That path also has the effect of validating Microsoft's strategy at least in terms of optics/perception, because the reality is that Sony would likely be losing a lot of revenue with that option, similar to how Game Pass revenue is nowhere near enough to make up for the losses of direct sales revenue MS 1P AAA games have due to being Day 1 there
You explain it beautifully here. Sony did all the math and they know they can't win that game. Sales cratered on Xbox that's proof enough.

Now the regulators needs to do their job but with all this pressure who knows if they can hold.

adamsapple

Banned
22 Jul 2022

I hope the above 3 are sufficient for your needs, as they cover a big gamut of big varied publishers.

Thanks (y)

See above.

• haha
Reactions: BigMclargeHuge

SLB1904

Actually born in 1904!
22 Jun 2022

I hope the above 3 are sufficient for your needs, as they cover a big gamut of big varied publishers.

Thanks (y)
The EA quote is the cherry on the top.
The potential cod going exclusive is a huge opportunity for EA.
Is like you don't read you own shit.

Microsoft acquiring cod is a win for every big publisher that always try the cod clone and failed.

I swear sometimes I think or I'm too smart or you just pretty dumb 😆

Reactions: Swift_Star

adamsapple

Banned
22 Jul 2022
The EA quote is the cherry on the top.
The potential cod going exclusive is a huge opportunity for EA.
Is like you don't read you own shit.

Microsoft acquiring cod is a win for every big publisher that always try the cod clone and failed.

My comment was about big pubs/devs being in favor of it.

My links corroborate that. I don't care how any of them benefit from it, that's not what my point was at all.

I don't know what else you were looking for lol.

I swear sometimes I think or I'm too smart or you just pretty dumb 😆

Oh don't worry, I don't think anyones accused you of being too smart 🤭

Swift_Star

Veteran
2 Jul 2022

Thanks (y)

See above.
Good. Pretty much all big publishers and developers are for the deal to go through.

3 have become all? :unsure:

Dr Bass

The doctor is in
Founder
20 Jun 2022
Imagine try to argue in good faith with Adam 😆
I try. 😔

Thanks (y)
A few out of many is not sufficient no. Especially when it reads like these people want to keep their own opportunities for a huge pay day open, more than anything else.

By the way did you READ the first link? lol. The only company that outright supports it, is, like I said above, trying to sell themselves off! Saying "there is competition" does not say "we think this is a good idea." I agree, there is a competition currently in the software industry. ABK is PART of that competition. But consolidation of major publishers is a bad idea. See how those two things are separate?

Reactions: SLB1904

adamsapple

Banned
22 Jul 2022
3 have become all? :unsure:

I mean, OBJECTIVELY the links cover more than 3 but even if I post 20, its not like your response was gonna be any different, we both know that 🤷‍♂️

By the way did you READ the first link? lol. The only company that outright supports it, is, like I said above, trying to sell themselves off! Saying "there is competition" does not say "we think this is a good idea." I agree, there is a competition currently in the software industry. ABK is PART of that competition. But consolidation of major publishers is a bad idea. See how those two things are separate?

Regardless of how high they shout their support from the roof tops, various regulatory agencies, whether CADE before or CMA now, have reached out to multiple publishers and developers and in the overwhelmingly majority of the ones contacted, were approving and some indifferent of the merger.

I don't know how much clearer it can be.

Imagine me making these rational, sane remarks and then universally banned folks like SLB talking about making good faith arguments. What a time to be alive 😬

• haha
Reactions: BigMclargeHuge

Sircaw

Pro Flounder
Moderating
20 Jun 2022

Squad Fps GIF by NVIDIA GeForce

• Shake
Reactions: adamsapple

Dr Bass

The doctor is in
Founder
20 Jun 2022
I mean, OBJECTIVELY the links cover more than 3 but even if I post 20, its not like your response was gonna be any different, we both know that 🤷‍♂️
Post 20 publishers espousing the explicit opinion that ABK being owned by MS is a BETTER situation than ABK remaining independent.

adamsapple

Banned
22 Jul 2022
Post 20 publishers espousing the explicit opinion that ABK being owned by MS is a BETTER situation than ABK remaining independent.

Read my last post.

And, again, even if we had direct statements from Twenty, it wouldn't be surprising at all of many of them are cited as being irrelevant or paid-off, just look at how quickly the 6 that were shown today got that treatment.

Seriously, Bass, it's odd reading comments like that and then people saying that I don't argue in good faith lol.

you said all. those are not all. 🤷‍♂️

All contacted by regulatory bodies, better ?

Yobo

Veteran
Icon Extra
29 Jun 2022
Devs and publishers are irrelevent to competition concerns

All of them would like to eventually be bought and be paid hundreds of millions or billions so it's not in their interest to be objecting to deals happening

Reactions: laynelane