UK Sales: Week 1, 2024 (Dec 31 - Jan 06) Hogwarts remains #1

Danja

Veteran
Icon Extra
10 Mar 2023
Looking at these split, there are yet still people who think Xbox will have marketing rights to GTA6 🥴

Some of these splits, like for MK11, are insane. Just Dance is more understandable, but I'd of thought something like MK11 would've been more 60/40 between PS (PS5 & PS4) and Xbox. Nowhere near the case.

Yes this is just physical but I doubt the splits are that much improved for Xbox once digital is factored in, considering UK is a market where a lot of PS owners also buy digitally.

Even adding digital doesn't change much for Xbox; we've seen cases where once digital was added ratio disparities were clearly in favor for the PlayStation platform.

Not really; if anything, PC has become the complementary platform to Switch or PS5. I'd imagine most console-only players this gen are PS5 & Switch, and those console & PC are either PS5/PC, Switch/PC, or PS5/Switch/PC.

Xbox is a distant choice in those, going by sales not just of hardware but also, even more critically, the software.
The console has still sold over 2+ million in the UK so yeah it's definitely a complimentary console.

24 Jun 2022
The console has still sold over 2+ million in the UK so yeah it's definitely a complimentary console.

The physical software splits (which in most cases don't change that much once digital's factored in) say it isn't much of one in the UK, though. I'd surmise a lot of Xbox Series owners in UK bought the system for Game Pass and that's primarily where they're playing their games.

Danja

Veteran
Icon Extra
10 Mar 2023
The physical software splits (which in most cases don't change that much once digital's factored in) say it isn't much of one in the UK, though. I'd surmise a lot of Xbox Series owners in UK bought the system for Game Pass and that's primarily where they're playing their games.
So that makes it a compliment console? Which is what I am saying? People are using it to compliment their other consoles?

24 Jun 2022
So that makes it a compliment console? Which is what I am saying? People are using it to compliment their other consoles?

No, it's in theory a complementary console but in practice you have to define what a complementary console really is. It's not a complementary console in a way that makes it particularly lucrative for its platform holder (Microsoft), because software revenue is not particularly strong.

And we don't even know what percentage of Xbox console owners in the UK market are active users. Even among complementary system types, there are tiers to it.

Danja

Veteran
Icon Extra
10 Mar 2023
No, it's in theory a complementary console but in practice you have to define what a complementary console really is. It's not a complementary console in a way that makes it particularly lucrative for its platform holder (Microsoft), because software revenue is not particularly strong.

And we don't even know what percentage of Xbox console owners in the UK market are active users. Even among complementary system types, there are tiers to it.
It is a complementary console since it serves a purpose outside of being the main gaming platform. Game Pass doesn't give them the newest AAA games outside of the occasional money hat and Xbox 1st party games... But they can use the console to try out games they otherwise wouldn't have spent cash on.

In that sense it is definitely a complimentary console.

Nhomnhom

Banned
25 Mar 2023
If you have a Series S + PlayStation 5 you'll buy all your games on the PS5.

If you own a Series S the odds of your next console being a PS5 are much higher than it being a Series X.

If you own a PS5 and are a PS+ subscriber (like most people that play a lot of games are), Gamepass is not that compelling to get you to buy another console.

Even if you own a Series X and a PS5, given that only very few games perform better on the Series X and it lacks haptics and adaptive triggers, buying multiplataform games on PS5 would still make a lot of sense.

Even small details like PS5 physical hold their resale price better still count for something.

All this stuff just adds up, MS strategy was not well thought through and the sales show that clearly.

Last edited:
OP
OP
Gamernyc78

Gamernyc78

MuscleMod
Moderating
28 Jun 2022
Covid and shortage postponed the collapse by one year. Jaysus those splits.
Imagine sitting on the Xbox board and getting fed "engagement numbers" but having the real world data on hand. They know what's going on, it amazes me they still listen to Phil and Nadella.

Gediminas

Boy...
Founder
21 Jun 2022
Imagine sitting on the Xbox board and getting fed "engagement numbers" but having the real world data on hand. They know what's going on, it amazes me they still listen to Phil and Nadella.
that's the problem, they don't have the numbers. even in court, xbox leaders admitted, that they pick and choose and spin whichever numbers they want to present to the m$ board. at this stage, they are just con artist.

OP
OP
Gamernyc78

Gamernyc78

MuscleMod
Moderating
28 Jun 2022
that's the problem, they don't have the numbers. even in court, xbox leaders admitted, that they pick and choose and spin whichever numbers they want to present to the m$ board. at this stage, they are just con artist.
I mean we know they sugar coat it with what I mentioned "engagement numbers" but there is no way in the world that I believe some intelligent (done have to be to get to where they are) , well off Board member does not know the numbers or pay attention to their stock.

KiryuRealty

Cambridge Dictionary High Priest of Grammar
28 Nov 2022
Where it’s at.
I think right now the only thing keeping the axe from falling is that Microsoft is trying to cut losses on hardware already manufactured and in the channel. If they haven’t announced officially that Xbox is dead, they can keep selling at less of a loss than they’d have to take after an announcement that they’re bailing, as discontinuation would allow some retailers to return unsold stock. With how Microsoft infamously overstuffs the retail channel to pump their “units shipped” numbers, taking a write-down on unsold stock could seriously damage their valuation as a company.

Reactions: Gamernyc78

KiryuRealty

Cambridge Dictionary High Priest of Grammar
28 Nov 2022
Where it’s at.
i swear i though fifa would die after the rename only cause konami did
Everyone who plays the game knew the change was coming, and all the advertising in stadiums and elsewhere was for EA FC in the same style as the old FIFA games. Even the package art was kept consistent by EA.

The change was even reported in mainstream sports media as FIFA fucking up is always headline news.

The vast majority either knew about the change, or just saw the familiar package and that was that.