UK Video Games Market Report 2022: Consoles Splits, Top-Selling Games, Digital/Physical Marketshare

Unchained

5 Dec 2022
https://eraltd.org/media/72551/2023-era-yrbk.pdf

VIDOE GAMES DIGITAL MARKETSHARE SPLIT IN UK:

image.png

UK CONSOLES BRAND SPLIT:

UK SPLIT.png

VIDEO GAMES HARDWARE MARKET REVENUE SPLIT:
image.png

BEST SELLING GAMES IN UK FOR 2022:
image.png

BEST SELLING GAMING ACCESSORIES:

Capture_decran_2023-03-06_a_12.47.06.png

Last edited:

ethomaz

Rebolation!
21 Jun 2022
Brasil 🇧🇷
PSN ID
ethomaz
The supply issues really hold PS5.

Switch: 880k
PS5: 780k
Xbox: 723k

And look at Xbox software… 1.5m… man that is just twice the number of Xbox sold in 2022 (LTD is a near 1:1 attach rate)… Gamepass effect at max.

Satoru

Limitless
Founder
20 Jun 2022
I'm a firm believer that conditioning their fanbase to rely on welfarepass is what will kill the Xbox brand as we know it. It's only a matter of time before developers stop porting their games since they won't sell enough to cover the bill + ongoing support. The UK, being one of the biggest markets, kind of illustrates how Xbox players are buying less and less software.

ethomaz

Rebolation!
21 Jun 2022
Brasil 🇧🇷
PSN ID
ethomaz
My bad.

1.5m includes Xbox One.

Series physical sales is 900k lol
Even if you include a 80% digital ratio that is still 3.6m… I mean that is less than 2 games sold per console in UK… that is ridiculous.

Reactions: Heisenberg007

KiryuRealty

Cambridge Dictionary High Priest of Grammar
28 Nov 2022
Where it’s at.
My bad.

1.5m includes Xbox One.

Series physical sales is 900k lol
Even if you include a 80% digital ratio that is still 3.6m… I mean that is less than 2 games sold per console in UK… that is ridiculous.
An attach rate of less than 3.0 is usually an indication that the hardware is not profitable, as well!

• they're_right_you_know
Reactions: Deleted member 417
D

Deleted member 417

There are some damning stats in that report.

• 50:50 digital : physical means physical isn't dead and is been skewed by Steam
  • Twice as many digital purchases happened on the PS over Xbox. If that includes DLC and MTX then God-damn.
  • a 25% drop in software sales YoY for Xbox is abysmal.
  • Xbox owning only 11% of the share, in its' second market is disastrous
I want to see some PS5 vs Series sales because if the PS5 is outselling the Series consoles, despite having 2 price entry points, then lol.

Reactions: daniel5043

KiryuRealty

28 Nov 2022
Where it’s at.
I’m amused to see the huge digital advantage of the Xbox proven to be false.

That talking point always cracked me up, especially considering PlayStation offered full games digitally before XBox did, so it’s been normal there way longer than for Xbox!

ethomaz

Rebolation!
21 Jun 2022
Brasil 🇧🇷
PSN ID
ethomaz
Another interesting info.

Average digital full-game: £15.19
Average physical full-game: £36.47

Digital games gives half less revenue in average than physical... that is probably because there is these very cheap indies that are digital only.

Entropi

Veteran
Icon Extra
22 Jan 2023
I think MS should buy Nintendo instead.

And no, I love Nintendo and I don’t want that to happen ever.

KiryuRealty

28 Nov 2022
Where it’s at.
I think MS should buy Nintendo instead.

And no, I love Nintendo and I don’t want that to happen ever.
I hate both Nintendo and Microsoft, they’re both cut from the same cloth, but I still wouldn’t want to see that.

Conversely, it would be funny as fuck to see MS run by Nintendo.

daniel5043

Veteran
19 Jan 2023
Another interesting info.

Average digital full-game: £15.19
Average physical full-game: £36.47

Digital games gives half less revenue in average than physical... that is probably because there is these very cheap indies that are digital only.
Cheap indies and more sales

Reactions: EN250

EN250

17 Feb 2023
I'm a firm believer that conditioning their fanbase to rely on welfarepass is what will kill the Xbox brand as we know it. It's only a matter of time before developers stop porting their games since they won't sell enough to cover the bill + ongoing support. The UK, being one of the biggest markets, kind of illustrates how Xbox players are buying less and less software.

gp is made with the purpose of people getting used to "free sh*t" and if MS keeps buying pubs and devs while subsidizing that program till it reaches a point where it actually isn't burning money, they can force their hand on 3P devs/pubs since by that time, no one of their customers would be willing to buy games and just consume it through the program, that's why MS wanted Sony to do the same, because they knew it couldn't be sustainable for Sony and that's why it's a threat, they want to do what Apple and Spotify did to music, streaming made the medium lose value, same is happening with video streaming atm and could happen to video games as well

VillaiN

10 Feb 2023
gp is made with the purpose of people getting used to "free sh*t" and if MS keeps buying pubs and devs while subsidizing that program till it reaches a point where it actually isn't burning money, they can force their hand on 3P devs/pubs since by that time, no one of their customers would be willing to buy games and just consume it through the program, that's why MS wanted Sony to do the same, because they knew it couldn't be sustainable for Sony and that's why it's a threat, they want to do what Apple and Spotify did to music, streaming made the medium lose value, same is happening with video streaming atm and could happen to video games as well

Yea, sony probably realised what they want to do. After latest info GP wont work anytime soon.

Retailers wont sell xbox hardware if they cant make money on software. GP sub cards cant support majority of industry. Let alone when u take in account their market share.
They ll never achieve 80,100M full paying GP subs without majority of core gamers using it. Average phone, android, tv user s not going to pay 15 or 20$ per month. They dont get it. They can only achieve it if they put version of GP on PS5 and switch. I doubt sony and nintendo ll allow it.
Or if they lock access to wow, cod etc. behind GP. Doubtful.
Big AAA games today re too expensive for GP model.

Look at studios. Majority seems focused on smaller AA games (Hifi, Grounded, Pentiment.. )who can be shipped quicker to fill GP. They cant wait 3-5 years for AAA games.

I have zero problems with MS in console world. Let them compete so sony s also better. But their vision of medium would only lead to downfall of industry (from GP to buying whole publishers). It only lead to less and less quality AAA games.

Yurinka

Veteran
VIP
21 Jun 2022
Seems that MS acquisitions, Game Pass and the Sony PC ports are killing PlayStation. Sure :LOL: