[Update: MS says 25mil still the official number] Xbox Game Pass Reportedly Has Over 30 Million Subscriber

anonpuffs

Veteran
Icon Extra
29 Nov 2022
Now this is actually interesting. I did wonder about the rush to walk back the 30 million subscriber number and it makes perfect sense if MS wants to inflate the percentage growth of gamepass in their next quarterly financials.

For example, if they had 20m gold subscribers converted into gamepass core, 30m actual gamepass subscribers, and the last official numbers were 25m for gamepass they could claim a growth of 100%. But if the official number of subscribers was 30m, an extra 20m would only be 67% growth.

Very sneaky.

Dabaus

Veteran
28 Jun 2022
I refuse to believe shareholders don’t know the actual situation with Xbox. Like Phil being vague to the media is one thing but him lying to shareholders and them not asking questions would be something. I do think it odd though that this the first real peak behind the curtain since January 2022 of gamepass suscribers and the silence is deafening from the usually obnoxiously loud fanboys.

ethomaz

Rebolation!
21 Jun 2022
Brasil 🇧🇷
PSN ID
ethomaz

Update: Since publishing, the LinkedIn account in question removed references to Xbox Game Pass hitting 30 million. Microsoft also sent us a statement to reiterate the previous 25 million milestone as being the official tally.
That is really weird and means the numbers are struggling even more to grow.

Alabtrosmyster

Veteran
26 Jun 2022
I refuse to believe shareholders don’t know the actual situation with Xbox. Like Phil being vague to the media is one thing but him lying to shareholders and them not asking questions would be something. I do think it odd though that this the first real peak behind the curtain since January 2022 of gamepass suscribers and the silence is deafening from the usually obnoxiously loud fanboys.
Nobody would be able to game the system if shareholders were that bright.

• they're_right_you_know
Reactions: KiryuRealty

Nimrota

Veteran
11 Jul 2023
I don't get the hype over GP subs anyway, so what if it was 30m? It's a lower barrier to entry service that is marginally larger than their console userbase (still below PS5 userbase, still below PS+ subs) who cares? I subbed (thanks free trial) to play Starfield but that provided Microsoft $0 in revenue and isn't going to keep me as a long term customer in the way a console, or game library (Steam), would.

ChorizoPicozo

Veteran
1 Jul 2022

the end of this quarter (as I said before) should really set the tone for xbox.(division/hardware)

In TV/Film there is not debate. subservices have been the Pandora's box.

KiryuRealty

Cambridge Dictionary High Priest of Grammar
28 Nov 2022
Where it’s at.
I don't get the hype over GP subs anyway, so what if it was 30m? It's a lower barrier to entry service that is marginally larger than their console userbase (still below PS5 userbase, still below PS+ subs) who cares? I subbed (thanks free trial) to play Starfield but that provided Microsoft $0 in revenue and isn't going to keep me as a long term customer in the way a console, or game library (Steam), would.
The significance of the magic 30 million subs mark is that it is, according to Phil Spencer, the point where Game Pass will be sustainable.

Not profitable, sustainable.

Alabtrosmyster

Veteran
26 Jun 2022
The significance of the magic 30 million subs mark is that it is, according to Phil Spencer, the point where Game Pass will be sustainable.

Not profitable, sustainable.
I don't know how they expect it to make it profitable... I don't know that MS cares this much, most of their products loose money (at least it was like that a couple of years ago)... So loosing a little bit, like on many other products, can be considered a "win" for them I guess.

JAHGamer

Banned
8 May 2023
In TV/Film there is not debate. subservices have been the Pandora's box.
And it's the same for gaming, I guarantee by end of 2024, EA and Ubisoft will shutdown their subscription services or at least stop day and date releases. The idiots at Sony have also fallen for the trap, even though they're not doing day and date, cutting the legs off of their games after only a year or 2 will hurt them in the long run.

Shmunter

Veteran
22 Jul 2022
Whatever it is, it’s likely reached saturation as can be seen by the video streamers. Any future growth will be at a snail’s pace and strategies needing reevaluation

ChorizoPicozo

Veteran
1 Jul 2022
And it's the same for gaming, I guarantee by end of 2024, EA and Ubisoft will shutdown their subscription services or at least stop day and date releases. The idiots at Sony have also fallen for the trap, even though they're not doing day and date, cutting the legs off of their games after only a year or 2 will hurt them in the long run.
the irony is that Sony is the only one doing it right.

Console/theatrical window >
price drops/VOD(Rental and buy) >
arrives to your streaming service/PS+ >
PCPorts/license to cable or and another streaming service.

Evilms

Graph Master
Icon Extra
21 Jun 2022
image.png

image.png

image.png