[Updated] Icon-Era migrates to a new server

SuperDuper

Chief Troll Officer
Moderating
16 Jun 2022
Well, kiddos, it's about time that Icon-Era goes to a better home: faster CPU, more CPUs, more RAM, more DISK. Basically during Black Friday I got a sweet deal for a better server, and since you have filled up the hard drive with all your pics, it was time to move on.

This Saturday, starting at 09:00 GMT (10:00 CET, 04:00 EST, 01:00 PST, 18:00 JST) the site will go into maintenance mode and will be migrated. DNS will not change, but some caching may need to be refreshed at the CDN level.

Will be back by 14:00 GMT.

So be good boys and girls and play games while we change home!

Last edited:

Sircaw

Pro Flounder
Moderating
20 Jun 2022
Icon Era will be down for a few hours, life is Over.

Coffin Dancing GIF

Gamernyc78

MuscleMod
Moderating
28 Jun 2022
I recently donated cash for the next comp, and suddenly, the server is upgraded, and there is no Comp.

feels like @Bryank75 done me dirty again, and speaking of comps stuff @rofif
I'll do the thread for the comp soon and donate as well. Just been a little busy.

I'm sure Bryan is keeping your 2 schillings safe 🤣🤣🤣

• party
Reactions: Sircaw
OP
OP
SuperDuper

SuperDuper

Chief Troll Officer
Moderating
16 Jun 2022
Are we getting larger filesize limits?

Big Brother Hands GIF by DStv
Not at the moment. Storage will double, but it is still a premium commodity at the moment. Next upgrade (hopefully sooner rather than later) will address that. We need to move on to a proper CDN, but we are still way too smal for that.

How many hours you think it will be down?
5 hours to be safe, but hopefully I’ll be done way before that. The move in itself is a few minutes, what will take time is dotting the I’s and crossing the T’s.

Reactions: Dabaus

anonpuffs

Veteran
Icon Extra
29 Nov 2022
Not at the moment. Storage will double, but it is still a premium commodity at the moment. Next upgrade (hopefully sooner rather than later) will address that. We need to move on to a proper CDN, but we are still way too smal for that.

5 hours to be safe, but hopefully I’ll be done way before that. The move in itself is a few minutes, what will take time is dotting the I’s and crossing the T’s.
what kind of storage numbers are we talking about?

OP
OP
SuperDuper

SuperDuper

Chief Troll Officer
Moderating
16 Jun 2022
what kind of storage numbers are we talking about?
Don’t want to get into specifics at the moment, but it is still something very small in the grand scheme of things. The site doesn’t even put a dent of stress on the CPU, and it’s a VERY old cpu. Storage is where you guys are really consuming, and it’s a good thing: it shows engagement.

Anyhow, with this move we double the whole stack (CPU, memory, storage) and we’ll see how it goes. I may even have to start thinking about setting up a separate storage environment. Opportunities to scale up are there, but the site is fan operated and fan paid for: I must make sure that budgets are properly respected.

OP
OP
SuperDuper

SuperDuper

Chief Troll Officer
Moderating
16 Jun 2022
Move is now complete and the site came back up at around 14:00 GMT. I later found some other gremlin and I fixed those as well (including the lack of ability of sending emails).

I am aware that users of OUTLOOK.COM emails may find issues in receiving email from the forum. I am working on it with Microsoft.

If you find problems, please reply to this thread by attaching the error (a picture of the error would be best). Thank you all!