Valkyrie Elysium demo drops on Ps4 and Ps5 September 15th

arvfab

Oldest Guard
23 Jun 2022
I'm a bad guy because I'm more excited to play the bonus content than the actual game.

VALKYRIE PROFILE: LENNETH!

At the moment only part of the digital deluxe edition, right?

Edit: just read on the PS Store page that it can be bought separately, so I can go physical with Elysum.

Reactions: ethomaz
P

peter42O

Has anyone tried out the demo? Famitsu rated the game an 8.0/10 overall and it's a week away so im curious to know what others here think about it and would appreciate it if they can post their impressions. Thanks.

Papacheeks

Old Guard
Icon Extra
21 Jun 2022
Has anyone tried out the demo? Famitsu rated the game an 8.0/10 overall and it's a week away so im curious to know what others here think about it and would appreciate it if they can post their impressions. Thanks.

It's surprisingly really good.

Like almost a buy good.

Check out the demo. I thought it was good, good combat, character designs for main characters were good, and look of hub world being Valhalla was dope. It's not FF7R good in terms of presentation.

But its has that mid-budget feel, which to me is fine.

Reactions: peter42O
P

peter42O

It's surprisingly really good.

Like almost a buy good.

Check out the demo. I thought it was good, good combat, character designs for main characters were good, and look of hub world being Valhalla was dope. It's not FF7R good in terms of presentation.

But its has that mid-budget feel, which to me is fine.

That's good to hear. Would you say it's better than Trials of Mana (2020) overall based on the demo? I have watched it a little bit and looks good with the combat being real good and an interesting story. I know it won't be FF7R in regards to presentation and whatnot but im not expecting it to be especially since it seems to be more of an AA game than AAA like FF7R.

There's no time limit on the demo, right? I'll be playing it next week. Still playing Steel Rising and don't really want to play another game (demo or full game) until I wrap up Steel Rising. Thanks for the impressions. Appreciate it.

Heisenberg007

Veteran
21 Jun 2022
I tried the demo, and it was surprisingly good. I went in without expecting much but ended up enjoying Valkyrie Elysium way more than Wo Long: Fallen Dynasty.

I hope the combat opens up more as we progress and become more dynamic and unpredictable with bigger and better combos and skills. That was my only gripe.

P

peter42O

I played through the main quest line of the demo. Have the two sub (side) quests left which I will do tomorrow. Game is actually really good. Reminds me in some ways of Trials of Mana 2020 where it's one of SE's AA JRPG's and obviously a few steps below a Final Fantasy or Dragon Quest. Anyway, the world looks good except for that black outline but when playing, I forgot it was even there. Visually, looks good otherwise. No issues with the visuals. Sound is solid as is the voice acting. Doesn't appear to be any voice acting outside of the main quest line. Music though is great and that was just the first chapter. Enjoyed the music the entire way through. Story and characters seem okay thus far. Nothing special but I only had the opening cut scene and one after fighting the main boss to complete chapter one. Gameplay is definitely a little clunky and wish it was more fluid but still pretty good. Combat could end up having a little more depth to it as you get a second weapon at the end of chapter one plus there seems to be a lot of different ways to attack enemies and that doesn't include the companions that you have at the start of the demo which I assume you gain later on.

Negative wise, besides that there may not be any voice acting in the side quests (will verify tomorrow), the back tracking to complete side quests is basically when you finish the main quest in a chapter and go back to Valhalla which is your home base/hub area, you can then activate the side quests and go do them if you so choose. This could get annoying after a while especially if you can't complete them while just on the main quest path. Other than that, I would like to be able to turn off the "hit counter" on the HUD. It's freaking annoying and in the way at times. They should have allowed an on off/off option for this.

Overall, really enjoyed the demo and will actually pre-order at GameStop tomorrow for PlayStation 5. Unless the game reviews poorly then this will be my next new game once I complete Steel Rising next week.

Reactions: Heisenberg007

Heisenberg007

Veteran
21 Jun 2022
I played through the main quest line of the demo. Have the two sub (side) quests left which I will do tomorrow. Game is actually really good. Reminds me in some ways of Trials of Mana 2020 where it's one of SE's AA JRPG's and obviously a few steps below a Final Fantasy or Dragon Quest. Anyway, the world looks good except for that black outline but when playing, I forgot it was even there. Visually, looks good otherwise. No issues with the visuals. Sound is solid as is the voice acting. Doesn't appear to be any voice acting outside of the main quest line. Music though is great and that was just the first chapter. Enjoyed the music the entire way through. Story and characters seem okay thus far. Nothing special but I only had the opening cut scene and one after fighting the main boss to complete chapter one. Gameplay is definitely a little clunky and wish it was more fluid but still pretty good. Combat could end up having a little more depth to it as you get a second weapon at the end of chapter one plus there seems to be a lot of different ways to attack enemies and that doesn't include the companions that you have at the start of the demo which I assume you gain later on.

Negative wise, besides that there may not be any voice acting in the side quests (will verify tomorrow), the back tracking to complete side quests is basically when you finish the main quest in a chapter and go back to Valhalla which is your home base/hub area, you can then activate the side quests and go do them if you so choose. This could get annoying after a while especially if you can't complete them while just on the main quest path. Other than that, I would like to be able to turn off the "hit counter" on the HUD. It's freaking annoying and in the way at times. They should have allowed an on off/off option for this.

Overall, really enjoyed the demo and will actually pre-order at GameStop tomorrow for PlayStation 5. Unless the game reviews poorly then this will be my next new game once I complete Steel Rising next week.
How are you liking Steel Rising so far?

Papacheeks

Old Guard
Icon Extra
21 Jun 2022
That's good to hear. Would you say it's better than Trials of Mana (2020) overall based on the demo? I have watched it a little bit and looks good with the combat being real good and an interesting story. I know it won't be FF7R in regards to presentation and whatnot but im not expecting it to be especially since it seems to be more of an AA game than AAA like FF7R.

There's no time limit on the demo, right? I'll be playing it next week. Still playing Steel Rising and don't really want to play another game (demo or full game) until I wrap up Steel Rising. Thanks for the impressions. Appreciate it.

Trials of Mana suprised me because I enjoyed the light hearted grind. Combat system was good for what it was if simplistic. Valkyrie seems it has a little more to it. You have different weapons in you're weapon wheel that perform different in damage/combo speed. And the summons/spirits you bring into battle you can do combo's with them if timed correctly which I think was what I liked.

Trials of Mana had a nice anime/budget look to it that harkens back to original look. Valkyrie seems to be trying to be in the lower FF style tier, alonside strangers of paradise.

I think Elysium is way better than Paradise in just art direction, combo system, and character design(main characters).

Music is also really good.

I might pick it up and wait for a sale on Star Ocean which i also liked a lot.

Square is on a role, I truly think their recofus on Japan will pay off by this time next year.

P

peter42O

How are you liking Steel Rising so far?

It's good and im enjoying it a lot. However, I played the Beta to completion 5 times and played the game halfway through before starting over so im kind of fatigued on it but it's still a great game and the only souls game im actually into. I like the world, the combat/gameplay is good and more fluid and responsive than I was expecting it to be and the story has me interested. Music is good too. Overall, im expecting an 8.0/10 once I finish the game with a chance of it being an 8.5/10 depending on how the story plays out.

Should wrap it up this coming week and then jump into Valkyrie Elysium.

Trials of Mana suprised me because I enjoyed the light hearted grind. Combat system was good for what it was if simplistic. Valkyrie seems it has a little more to it. You have different weapons in you're weapon wheel that perform different in damage/combo speed. And the summons/spirits you bring into battle you can do combo's with them if timed correctly which I think was what I liked.

Trials of Mana had a nice anime/budget look to it that harkens back to original look. Valkyrie seems to be trying to be in the lower FF style tier, alonside strangers of paradise.

I think Elysium is way better than Paradise in just art direction, combo system, and character design(main characters).

Music is also really good.

I might pick it up and wait for a sale on Star Ocean which i also liked a lot.

Square is on a role, I truly think their recofus on Japan will pay off by this time next year.

Completely agree. Only thing I can't mention is in regards to Stranger of Paradise since I never played it. I did watch an hour or so and while gameplay and the world interested me, the story, characters and dialogue didn't. I watched the Star Ocean demo and just couldn't get into it plus it releases at a bad time where as Valkyrie is perfect for me as once I finish Steel Rising, my next new game is a Plague Tale Requiem which is about a month away. I do like the aspect of "fantasy" or "sci-fi" in Star Ocean depending on who you play as.

Square Enix seems to be doing somewhat better as long as they don't get attached to the live service Avengers/Babylon's Fall aspect. They stay away from that stuff, their games should be good for the most part. Valkyrie is definitely my type of game and I enjoyed the demo.

Went to GameStop earlier after work and refunded my Steel Rising disc pre-order (bought it digitally to get access to the Beta two weeks earlier) and put that towards Valkyrie Elysium for PS5 which watching one video based on the demo seems to run at 57-60fps throughout so im very happy.

Was going to play the two side quests tonight but since the full game is 5 days away, im better off just waiting.

Reactions: Heisenberg007

Papacheeks

Old Guard
Icon Extra
21 Jun 2022
It's good and im enjoying it a lot. However, I played the Beta to completion 5 times and played the game halfway through before starting over so im kind of fatigued on it but it's still a great game and the only souls game im actually into. I like the world, the combat/gameplay is good and more fluid and responsive than I was expecting it to be and the story has me interested. Music is good too. Overall, im expecting an 8.0/10 once I finish the game with a chance of it being an 8.5/10 depending on how the story plays out.

Should wrap it up this coming week and then jump into Valkyrie Elysium.

Completely agree. Only thing I can't mention is in regards to Stranger of Paradise since I never played it. I did watch an hour or so and while gameplay and the world interested me, the story, characters and dialogue didn't. I watched the Star Ocean demo and just couldn't get into it plus it releases at a bad time where as Valkyrie is perfect for me as once I finish Steel Rising, my next new game is a Plague Tale Requiem which is about a month away. I do like the aspect of "fantasy" or "sci-fi" in Star Ocean depending on who you play as.

Square Enix seems to be doing somewhat better as long as they don't get attached to the live service Avengers/Babylon's Fall aspect. They stay away from that stuff, their games should be good for the most part. Valkyrie is definitely my type of game and I enjoyed the demo.

Went to GameStop earlier after work and refunded my Steel Rising disc pre-order (bought it digitally to get access to the Beta two weeks earlier) and put that towards Valkyrie Elysium for PS5 which watching one video based on the demo seems to run at 57-60fps throughout so im very happy.

Was going to play the two side quests tonight but since the full game is 5 days away, im better off just waiting.

Demo for star ocean is good but my god frame rate was fucking terrible. But still I was digging it. Just not a game I’m going to pay full price for.

But Valkyrie is a def buy from me at this point.

P

peter42O

Demo for star ocean is good but my god frame rate was fucking terrible. But still I was digging it. Just not a game I’m going to pay full price for.

But Valkyrie is a def buy from me at this point.

Star Ocean will probably need a patch or two. Of course, while possible, they could fix the frame rate with a day one patch.

P

peter42O

I'm about 8 hours into the game and on chapter 4. A few things that are really annoying - there's a small carrying capacity limit, single digit limit. SMH. Also, is there a merchant or item shop in the game to buy/sell items and weapons? Overall, the game is really good but a few things irk me. Also, there's spots where there's a chest or flower and you simply can't get to it. You would think that the soul chain would allow you to access these areas but nope. Can't because there's no connector. UGH.