Valorant Console Open Beta is now available on consoles

John Elden Ring

The Thread Maker
Content Creator
5 Jul 2022
United States

Valorant enters Open Beta on Xbox… today! It comes ahead of a full console launch that brings some major bonuses for Game Pass members. Having been lucky enough to have had a chance to play it at Riot’s Los Angeles studio, it’s clear that this is no simple port – the team has meticulously retooled this modern classic team shooter for Xbox.

For those unfamiliar, Valorant follows in the genre footsteps of competitive shooters like the legendary PC title Counter-Strike. Unlike that game’s military-themed setting, however, Valorant is set on a futuristic version of Earth, where players pick from a variety of Agents rooted in a specific culture, location and visual style. Beyond their weaponry, each is equipped with a distinct set of tactical skills that can be used for things like gathering intel, reinforcing areas, scouting enemy positions, breaking through defenses, and dominating territories in various ways.

VAL_GLP_Feature1_v002-07466a0ca9180cd85df2.jpg

It offers a deft mix of dynamic action and tactical considerations, driven by kinetic gunplay and the creative use of unique player abilities. All of this adds up to a highly skill-based but also highly strategic shooter, which has kept the Valorant community vibrant – and the game ever-evolving – since its PC debut in 2020.

Riot is sparing no effort in bringing the title to Xbox. Primarily, that comes through reproducing the finely-tuned balance that’s made the PC title such a hit – the team went through many iterations of translating the original mouse-and-keyboard controls to gamepad input. Perhaps the landmark new feature in this regard is what’s being called Focus mode.

On PC, Hip-Fire is the primary shooting mode, and Aim-Down-Sights is a secondary, supporting mode; the team experimented with multiple adaptations and gamepad sensitivities to try to accurately reproduce this on console, but never found a combination they were completely happy with. Hip-Fire didn’t feel the same, and the player didn’t have the same range of possibilities; the result was an overall dampened level of player expressiveness.

61e6f070-f4a9-4360-93e2-e3e1d26b2591-6c0cb6f19fe50c1578b6.jpg

Enter Focus, a new shooting mode that functions much like Hip-Fire, but with reduced sensitivity. This lets players shoot from the hip whenever they need speed in moving both their camera and aim (think: peeking around corners and dodging) but with the ability to utilize Focus mode whenever they need to pull off a precise, calibrated headshot. Some of the Agent abilities have been adapted for the new input controls, and various tunings across the board have all contributed to the team’s number one priority: capturing the dynamic pacing and mechanically expressive feel of the original.

Last edited:

peewee78368

3 Feb 2024
LOL its in OPEN beta for both why did this dude make it seem like xbox is some rights to it they dont they just get some extra stuff for welfare pass lol

Hatefield

I am the law
18 Jun 2024
Will I be put on a list for downloading this? Heard some bad things about people playing this.

AllBizness

Veteran
22 Jul 2023
It's available on both consoles, dunno why Xbox is the sole console being mentioned here

They have a marketing deal with Xbox, I got into those closed beta on PS5 and I deleted this garbage after playing for an hour. Concord wipes the floor with this game

Danja

Veteran
Icon Extra
10 Mar 2023
Concord is 100 times better then this filth. Nobody ever asked for a hero shooter that plays like Counter Strike, gross.
I've seen gameplay videos and it definitely doesn't look as good as Concord but I will always give a game a fair try once I'm able to. The narrative this game is interesting though since it and Concord are aiming for the same crowd but only one is being crucified

Danja

Veteran
Icon Extra
10 Mar 2023
I might give it a go. Normally I dont go for PVP. Sony and Former Bungie intrigued me and it felt good lol
I downloaded it... I guess I will too try it out later but from what I've seen, I probably won't love it

Reactions: Kokoloko

quest4441

Veteran
27 Feb 2024
Eh another game made by the china of the gaming industry, always with the cheap knockoffs. For those who didn't play the game, the gameplay is good and tight like counter strike but I get nausea just thinking about playing a riot game more than once.

But you will find the low skilled players of shooters here just like the low skilled ones play League instead of dota

ethomaz

Rebolation!
Icon Extra
21 Jun 2022
Brasil 🇧🇷
PSN ID
ethomaz
Will the Concord fanboys be trying this one out @voke @ethomaz @Kokoloko 👀
It is Counter Strike with all the tatical/strategy gunplay added a layer of power abilities over it.
I did not find fun on it but I see people like the hit and miss of trying bold strategies and see if it can win.
It is a slow game and the matches last near infinite.

Maybe not my type.

When you ask gamers what they enjoy in Valorant they don't know... it is more like they find it boring but somehow miss playing it.
Somehow I found out a phase in Reddit and I will share it:

image-2024-07-26-143110383.png

Some guys says if you keep playing somehow it will click and you will start to have fun.

Last edited:
Reactions: Danja

Danja

Veteran
Icon Extra
10 Mar 2023
It is Counter Strike with all the tatical/strategy gunplay added a layer of power abilities over it.
I did not find fun on it but I see people like the hit and miss of trying bold strategies and see if it can win.
It is a slow game and the matches last near infinite.

Maybe not my type.

When you ask gamers what they enjoy in Valorant they don't know... it is more like they find it boring but somehow miss playing it.
Somebody I found out a phase in Reddit that I find it and I share:

image-2024-07-26-143110383.png

Some guys says it you keep playing somehow it will click and you will start to have fun.
I'm gonna give it a shot shortly since I'm about done with work. But not happy to hear the matches are quite long... I hate that

Danja

Veteran
Icon Extra
10 Mar 2023
Concord fanboy is insane. :ROFLMAO:

No interest in Valorant.... it's old but I might try it.
I mean it clearly takes as fanboy to like a game like Concord since 😉

I'm gonna give it a try myself and see, doubt it will hook me in like Concord but stranger things has happened

• haha
Reactions: voke

voke

Veteran
10 Jan 2023
I mean it clearly takes as fanboy to like a game like Concord since 😉

I'm gonna give it a try myself and see, doubt it will hook me in like Concord but stranger things has happened
No doubt this game is great, I have friends with hundreds of hours on it. I think the main thing that'll hold me back is the f2p and the fact that the meta is already shaped on PC, prefer learning with the community, know what I mean?

But yeah like i said, you can expect this Concord fanboy to give this a shot :ROFLMAO:

Danja

Veteran
Icon Extra
10 Mar 2023
Lol just booted up and already hit with an error screen before getting to the actual game 🤣.

Makes me appreciate how polished the Concord Beta was.

• they're_right_you_know
Reactions: Kokoloko

JAHGamer

Banned
8 May 2023
Eh another game made by the china of the gaming industry, always with the cheap knockoffs. For those who didn't play the game, the gameplay is good and tight like counter strike but I get nausea just thinking about playing a riot game more than once.

But you will find the low skilled players of shooters here just like the low skilled ones play League instead of dota
CSGO > Valorant
League > DOTA

DOTA stinks

• haha
Reactions: quest4441

Danja

Veteran
Icon Extra
10 Mar 2023
Lol just booted up and already hit with an error screen before getting to the actual game 🤣.

Makes me appreciate how polished the Concord Beta was.
Game won't even load stuck on some screen with music... Yeah, it's clearly a sign lol.