Valve Steam: "We worked with Sony to improve support for PlayStation controllers"

Muddasar

Veteran
22 Jun 2022
Valve doesnt put any of its game on PS5 though. Counter Strike, Half Life Alyx etc

Completely Irrelevant.

What do you think First Person and Third Person means?

To put it simply.

First = You
Third = Someone else

Sony are Third Party from Valves perspective and Vice Versa.

anonpuffs

Veteran
Icon Extra
29 Nov 2022
Does anyone know what setting it is to stop L3 from popping up the on screen keyboard?

*e nvm was in a different menu than i thought it was

Last edited:

Kokoloko

Veteran
Icon Extra
21 Jun 2022
Completely Irrelevant.

To put it simply.

First = You
Third = Someone else

Cool, but irrelevant or not Valve releases nothing on Playstation. I thought you meant they see them as a 3rd party like other 3rd party studios and publishers. They dont have an equal relationship

ethomaz

Rebolation!
21 Jun 2022
Brasil 🇧🇷
PSN ID
ethomaz
I don’t understand what they are saying here. PS5 controllers are now compatible but weren’t before?
They where compatible but not all features worked on Steam.
I don't know what changed now but maybe they are doing better use of Dual Sense.

BTW from what I remember triggers didn't work well and vibration was non-existent.
That not talking about the exclusive Dual Sense features like Haptic Feedback, the touch pad, etc that never worked on Steam.

Reactions: Entropi

Muddasar

Veteran
22 Jun 2022
Cool, but irrelevant or not Valve releases nothing on Playstation. I thought you meant they see them as a 3rd party like other 3rd party studios and publishers. They dont have an equal relationship

From Valves perspective Sony are Third Party.

Always will be unless Valve acquire Sony.

Why are you waffling about games and equal relationships?

I give up.

Reactions: Kokoloko

Kokoloko

Veteran
Icon Extra
21 Jun 2022
From Valves perspective Sony are Third Party.

Always will be unless Valve acquire Sony.

Why are you waffling about games and equal relationships?

I give up.
Because its a thread about Valve and Sony and I cant be bothered to make a thread about it lol

Last edited:

Box

May contain Snake
6 Apr 2023
they should use AI to auto-detect controllers and apply right buttons for it, it's very frustrating when i want to play a game but only Xbox buttons are avaliable

Agreed, I've grown up with PlayStation controllers. I hate seeing xbox button prompts.

There's still too many games that only have xbox support which i hate, often i havw to rely on mods.
What exactly does this mean?

Are we finally getting on bluetooth all the features we could otherwise only get through USB like HD haptic feedback, adaptive triggers, speaker+mic support, light color control and touchpad support?

I think this is due to the firmware updates, for a long while you could only updatw the controller with a ps5.

24 Jun 2022
Not really. I knew you were gonna go there. A whole lot of nothing.

Irrespective of what Sony or Valve does, from Valves perspective Sony is Third Party.

Valve are Third Party from Sonys perspective.

Nintendo and Microsoft are also Third party from Valves Perspective too.

Yes, Sony are a 3P to Valve and I merely listed the reasons. One of those is a....pretty BIG reason, i.e SIE bringing virtually all of their games from this decade to Valve's Steam storefront.

The reality of the market is one where SIE simply can't say the same of Valve being a 3P to PlayStation, because they aren't. None of Valve's peripherals or systems are compatible with PlayStation. None of Valve's modern releases from this decade or really anything beyond the Orange Box for PS3 have been ported to SIE consoles.

I think what they meant was that they now have automatic support for 3rd party PS4 and PS5 controllers, not that Sony is 3rd party

But from Valve's POV, SIE are a 3P, and they'd be correct. They're a 3P who just happen to have a platform of their own (PlayStation).

I'm only bringing this up to say, the same can't be reciprocated from SIE WRT Valve. They can't claim Valve are a 3P who just happen to have their own platform (Steam). Especially considering, SIE are much more dependent on Valve's platform for future growth than the other way around :/

Muddasar

Veteran
22 Jun 2022
Yes, Sony are a 3P to Valve and I merely listed the reasons. One of those is a....pretty BIG reason, i.e SIE bringing virtually all of their games from this decade to Valve's Steam storefront.

The reality of the market is one where SIE simply can't say the same of Valve being a 3P to PlayStation, because they aren't. None of Valve's peripherals or systems are compatible with PlayStation. None of Valve's modern releases from this decade or really anything beyond the Orange Box for PS3 have been ported to SIE consoles.

But from Valve's POV, SIE are a 3P, and they'd be correct. They're a 3P who just happen to have a platform of their own (PlayStation).

I'm only bringing this up to say, the same can't be reciprocated from SIE WRT Valve. They can't claim Valve are a 3P who just happen to have their own platform (Steam). Especially considering, SIE are much more dependent on Valve's platform for future growth than the other way around :/

There are NO reasons.

To put it simply.

First = You
Third = Someone else

Neversummer

Veteran
27 Jun 2023
How is Sony not third party to Valve if they are now releasing their games on Steam?
Technically you can say all 3 Xbox, PS & Nintendo are all 3rd party since they all release games on other platforms. But Xbox & PS are more alike then Nintendo who releases live service games on mobile or double downs on there own platform Nintendo.

Really the only one that isn’t 3rd party which is crazy to say because they used to be 3rd party is Valve/Steam. Not even Steam would port or allow PS to find a port studio to release it natively on PSVR2 & Half Lyfe Alex is a throwaway VR game in Valve/Steam eyes. It’s even more laughable if you saw CSGO, Dota or even Valve/Steam new hero shooter multiplat it will likely only be on Steam. But aye because you know Valve/Steam games are exclusive to its platform you know you have to bend the knee & get a PC or Steamdeck to play those games. Longterm Valve/Steam audience is growing what PS is looking for except Valve/Steam widens it’s audience by not porting there games & making sure Steam has more & more games now from platform holders making Steam library bigger then Xbox & PS which entails in Steam becoming the best place to play games due to it having wider libraries. Wider libraries & more exclusive then Xbox or PS means Steam platform audience reaches new players as either new people joins the Steam platform or bends the knees of Xbox & PS gamers as Steam has the same games & either plays it better on PC or can find more games on its storefront then other competitors resulting in you the gamer spending more time invested in Steam storefront.

Kinda like how Phill said gamers already has there libraries build up well Steam is building a library w Xbox, PS, Steam & PC games some of those being default PC exclusive games.

Reactions: Amin_Parker

Yurinka

Veteran
VIP
21 Jun 2022
Damn even Valve called Sony a 3P 😂
In the case of accesories like gamepads, manufacturers of Steam hardware/accesories not owned by the platform holder (Valve for Steam) is a 3rd party manufacturer.

In case of PS, the PS controllers made by companies not owned by the platform holder (Sony for PS) are 3rd party accesories/gamepads.

Last edited:

arvfab

Slayer of Colossi
23 Jun 2022
Haven't read the whole article, nor the majority of the thread back and forth regarding 3rd party, so I'm sorry if it was already pointed out.

Is this the sentence which sparked the discussion?

can now automatically support future 3rd party licensed PlayStation gamepads

If yes, have you considered that they actually mean non-PlayStation-made-PlayStation controllers (aka 3rd party controllers), like the NACON ones, were ment here?