Verge: We played Valve’s secret new shooter: Deadlock

Dick Jones

Corporate Dick
Icon Extra
5 Jul 2022
That is for what NDA exists.

When games have the notice "This game can cause headaches etc" , don't you play it?

Human nature… I receive a notice asking to not go in a party tonight… well I weren’t going before but after the notice let’s go to that party 🤷‍♂️

But hey this was probably all planned by Valve.
Valve were right the moment I saw it was the Verge who were the aggrieved party. After reading it I knew my gut reaction was right. They could have gone into the beta and then rattle off an email to Valve wishing to discuss the game and certain aspects that they played. If you don't come across as a cunt, then maybe you are a first rounder in the journalist PR cycle for the game or they might answer back and allow certain photos to use. This isn't Deep Throat level. Treat someone with respect and you'll likely be rewarded in the future.

Evilnemesis8

Veteran
19 Dec 2023
That is for what NDA exists.

When games have the notice "This game can cause headaches etc" , don't you play it?

Human nature… I receive a notice asking to not go in a party tonight… well I weren’t going before but after the notice let’s go to that party 🤷‍♂️

But hey this was probably all planned by Valve.

There is no plan, this is how Valve has always operated.

Ever since the days of 1.6 and TF2, they've invited players to tests, they've invited community modders who they work with on certain updates to have deeper access to their backend(that blew in their face once) as well as inviting them to Valve's office, etc... They've never(or almost) made people sign NDAs for any of those things.

It's just trust system they have, probably coming down to their libertarian principles.

The Verge's journalist being wilfully confused about the why's and how he was banned when he is completely aware is eyerolling. As for the game dev article... It is also going full leap of logic and trying to put hypothetical scenarios that the evil Valve might just ban everyone's account because they can through market dominance(every publisher/platform holder can do the same) when they have never operated this way.

Lastly, it's kind of weird that some people online are portraying not signing an NDA, which can be financially ruinous if you do not follow the rules, as being worse than not signing one and just losing access to a playtest as a consequence.

A better to your party thing compared to The Verge's article would be something like this:

1. There is a swinger club in a moderately big city.
2. The club has a yearly cap on couples inviting other couples, the thing is known, but not that widely known.
3. A local lifestyle journalist got invited with their partner by another couple, they're completely aware of the club's rules.
4. That same journalist writes a steamy article about it, because it's relevant to the people of the city and their content.
5. They go to the residence where the freaky orgies are at but get denied and told they are banned.
6. They mad.
7. No NDAs were signed, she was just trusted by all parties involved and broke that trust.

In both cases, it is completely understandable that they have no longer access to the thing they had access to.
Nobody should be shedding any tears for them.

Fenton

Veteran
22 Feb 2023

• haha
Reactions: Evilnemesis8

Evilnemesis8

Veteran
19 Dec 2023

A true madlad, just like all the Russians streaming on Twitch and anywhere they can.

OP
OP
ethomaz

ethomaz

Rebolation!
21 Jun 2022
Brasil 🇧🇷
PSN ID
ethomaz
There is no plan, this is how Valve has always operated.

Ever since the days of 1.6 and TF2, they've invited players to tests, they've invited community modders who they work with on certain updates to have deeper access to their backend(that blew in their face once) as well as inviting them to Valve's office, etc... They've never(or almost) made people sign NDAs for any of those things.

It's just trust system they have, probably coming down to their libertarian principles.

The Verge's journalist being wilfully confused about the why's and how he was banned when he is completely aware is eyerolling. As for the game dev article... It is also going full leap of logic and trying to put hypothetical scenarios that the evil Valve might just ban everyone's account because they can through market dominance(every publisher/platform holder can do the same) when they have never operated this way.

Lastly, it's kind of weird that some people online are portraying not signing an NDA, which can be financially ruinous if you do not follow the rules, as being worse than not signing one and just losing access to a playtest as a consequence.

A better to your party thing compared to The Verge's article would be something like this:

1. There is a swinger club in a moderately big city.
2. The club has a yearly cap on couples inviting other couples, the thing is known, but not that widely known.
3. A local lifestyle journalist got invited with their partner by another couple, they're completely aware of the club's rules.
4. That same journalist writes a steamy article about it, because it's relevant to the people of the city and their content.
5. They go to the residence where the freaky orgies are at but get denied and told they are banned.
6. They mad.
7. No NDAs were signed, she was just trusted by all parties involved and broke that trust.

In both cases, it is completely understandable that they have no longer access to the thing they had access to.
Nobody should be shedding any tears for them.
They always did indeed.
Including the similar viral marketing for DOTA2 for two years.

But that is the point... people never stopped to share their games lol
The biggest push of Valve marketing were always people sharing their games.

BTW the guy at Verge is not mad at all... I believe he did that on purpose but that is not even what I'm saying here.

Evilnemesis8

Veteran
19 Dec 2023
BTW the guy at Verge is not mad at all... I believe he did that on purpose but that is not even what I'm saying here.

He's not mad about being banned because he expected, but like all journalists, he's mad that even though he hasn't signed anything, he can't talk about it. You can just look at his peers and what they say on twitter, they're seething.
They see all the users who don't care about the potential consequences of getting their access revoked showcasing the game in its entirety because there's no NDAs.

And of course he did that on purpose, the whole thing is wanting to generate clicks.

But he's still being coy about why he was banned:
Update, August 12th: Turns out, Valve was not fine with me trying Deadlock with friends; I’ve been banned from matchmaking! Oh well. Please feel free to make fun of me in the comments!

Yeah he was def banned for trying Deadlock with friends, lmao.
A Senior Editor can't seemingly figure it out, really gets the noggin going.
Yes, I'm aware that he's aware of why, but that makes him look lame(IMO).