VgTech: Need for Speed Unbound PS5 vs Xbox Series X|S Frame Rate Comparison

thelastword

Veteran
4 Jul 2022

PS5 uses a dynamic resolution with the highest resolution found being 3840x2160 and the lowest resolution found being approximately 2844x1600. Pixel counts at 2844x1600 seem to be uncommon on PS5. Xbox Series X uses a dynamic resolution with the highest resolution found being 3840x2160 and the lowest resolution found being 3072x1728. The resolution seems to rarely drop to 3072x1728 on Xbox Series X. Pixel counts at 3840x2160 were found more often on Xbox Series X than on PS5.

Xbox Series S uses a dynamic resolution with the highest resolution found being 2560x1440 and the lowest resolution found being approximately 1728x972. Pixel counts at 1728x972 seem to be uncommon on Xbox Series S. The resolution seems to usually be below 2560x1440 on Xbox Series S outside of the cutscene mentioned below. The resolution on Xbox Series S seems to be fixed at 2560x1440 during the cutscene at 3:00 All three consoles appear to be using a form of checkerboard rendering to reach their stated resolutions. PS5 and Xbox Series X are using an improved geometry detail setting compared to Xbox Series S

Stats

APk3Onx.jpg

adamsapple

Banned
22 Jul 2022
0.2% avg frame rate advantage vs higher and more consistent 2160p

Pick your poison.

OP
OP
thelastword

thelastword

Veteran
4 Jul 2022

Pick your poison.
Minimums of 49fps is not ideal. XBOX seems to favor rez over a stable framerate, maybe MS mandates it, XBOX would rather tear than to drop rez on most faceoffs I've seen. PS seems to mandate better DRS and a solid framerate above all else. Of course they also have a solid stance against tearing in most multiplatform games......BTW, the games barely ever dip to the min resolutions, but framerate dips below 50 will definitely be felt. XBOX was below 16.67ms in 91 frames during the sample, so it can be felt.

Bryank75

I don't get ulcers, I give 'em!
Founder
18 Jun 2022
icon-era.com
I'll probably pick it up on a sale, I like cars and modding in general but EA get as little money from me as possible.

Interesting style for the game, I prefer the realistic styles for cars but I appreciate them trying something different.

• thisistheway
Reactions: Deleted member 417

Remij

Banned
10 Jul 2022
Minimums of 49fps is not ideal. XBOX seems to favor rez over a stable framerate, maybe MS mandates it, XBOX would rather tear than to drop rez on most faceoffs I've seen. PS seems to mandate better DRS and a solid framerate above all else. Of course they also have a solid stance against tearing in most multiplatform games......BTW, the games barely ever dip to the min resolutions, but framerate dips below 50 will definitely be felt. XBOX was below 16.67ms in 91 frames during the sample, so it can be felt.
Minimum FPS results are typically unreliable as it's literally a single frame, which doesn't tell you anything real concrete about the experience. Being a single frame, they can often be calculated for example during a camera cut or a scene transition where the reading isn't accurate due to how things may be loaded into memory. In other words, a single frame can be grossly misrepresenting what's actually happening..

Looking at the numbers, we can see they tested each version for 10 minutes. The Xbox has 91 frames out of 34487 frames, which weren't locked delivered within 16.67ms. In that 10 minutes of gameplay, there was ~1.5 seconds where the FPS dropped from 60... and who knows whether that was calculated during a camera cut during a cutscene, or some other variable between the runs which differentiated them. A dip to 56fps will feel the exact same as a dip to 49fps... because it's literally missing the refresh cycle in both cases.

For all intents and purposes.. these games perform exactly the same.. and I'd be saying the same thing if it was Xbox beating Playstation. Not to mention the resolution difference between the two would be 100% imperceptible to anyone playing the game... even if you jumped back and forth between them, you wouldn't notice any difference and you'd literally be imagining that you saw some difference.

• they're_right_you_know
Reactions: Alabtrosmyster

adamsapple

Banned
22 Jul 2022
Minimum FPS results are typically unreliable as it's literally a single frame, which doesn't tell you anything real concrete about the experience. Being a single frame, they can often be calculated for example during a camera cut or a scene transition where the reading isn't accurate due to how things may be loaded into memory. In other words, a single frame can be grossly misrepresenting what's actually happening..

Looking at the numbers, we can see they tested each version for 10 minutes. The Xbox has 91 frames out of 34487 frames, which weren't locked delivered within 16.67ms. In that 10 minutes of gameplay, there was ~1.5 seconds where the FPS dropped from 60... and who knows whether that was calculated during a camera cut during a cutscene, or some other variable between the runs which differentiated them. A dip to 56fps will feel the exact same as a dip to 49fps... because it's literally missing the refresh cycle in both cases.

For all intents and purposes.. these games perform exactly the same.. and I'd be saying the same thing if it was Xbox beating Playstation. Not to mention the resolution difference between the two would be 100% imperceptible to anyone playing the game... even if you jumped back and forth between them, you wouldn't notice any difference and you'd literally be imagining that you saw some difference.

Indeed, these stats are mostly academic.

Most people won't notice solitary drops to 49 and most people won't notice DRS between 1800p vs 1600p in most cases.

1wjeg8.png

Based on this, we can see that out of 35000~ frames only 20 drop from the target on PS5 and 90 on SX. If anyone can pick these out without tracking tools, they have the vision of a kryptonian.

Reactions: Remij
24 Jun 2022

Pick your poison.

It's PS4 Pro vs One X all over again at this point. More of these multiplats on Series X are going to have to start offering an option to turn down the resolution for a higher average frame rate.

Also in terms of dropped frames, it's not so much about what you see but what you feel because if you're playing a game competitively and you rely on frame-accurate timing to make certain reflex decisions, you WILL feel those frame drops. It's probably not as big a deal as input latency, and it's only ever really a deal for those aside competitive types if it permeates through more than a small percentage of the experience.

But, just saying there are more ways to notice frame drops than just seeing screen tear or jerky refresh on the TV.

Reactions: thelastword

adamsapple

Banned
22 Jul 2022
I'll probably pick it up on a sale, I like cars and modding in general but EA get as little money from me as possible.

Interesting style for the game, I prefer the realistic styles for cars but I appreciate them trying something different.

If you have any platform where you can, there's 10 hour trial on EA Play for all platforms.

I tried it, got a good fill. Not gonna buy the game, waiting for the full game to come to EA play / GPU like all EA games do after 6 to 8 months.

• brain
Reactions: Bryank75
OP
OP
thelastword

thelastword

Veteran
4 Jul 2022
Indeed, these stats are mostly academic.

Most people won't notice solitary drops to 49 and most people won't notice DRS between 1800p vs 1600p in most cases.

1wjeg8.png

Based on this, we can see that out of 35000~ frames only 20 drop from the target on PS5 and 90 on SX. If anyone can pick these out without tracking tools, they have the vision of a kryptonian.
If you actually look at the footage, Series X falls much more and since the mins are lower on XBOX, when PS drops during these 20 times it never falls below mid 50's, but there are drops of 2 frames and drops to the mid 50's on XBOX whilst PS stays at 60fps. Of course it also happens more often on Series X...Dropping 61 more times in a small sample can be extrapolated over a larger play session, especially with lower minimums on XBOX already, the experience will be a tad worse and recurring. Seems like XBOX drops around most corners when the effects and sparks hit, also in some instances on cruising. It's still a solid experience on both, but PS5 has the edge. Series S though is not holding up.....Not only is it barely at it's max resolution as opposed to the higher spec consoles, it's minimum is below 1080p with much less geometry detail.

Shmunter

Veteran
22 Jul 2022
Those stats don’t seem to align with what I’m watching. Xbox x/s dropping frames consistently where ps5 is solid.

OP
OP
thelastword

thelastword

Veteran
4 Jul 2022
Those stats don’t seem to align with what I’m watching. Xbox x/s dropping frames consistently where ps5 is solid.
Well, that's how stats work, you have to do more than watch just the average framerate. Minimums, 1st percentile and how many frame drops occur from the target are all useful information to take into consideration. A big one for me is tearing, fortunately there is no tearing here, but generally PS runs this game smoother.......and that stays consistent throughout the game.

Reactions: Shmunter

adamsapple

Banned
22 Jul 2022

Is VGTech on the M$ take too, just like DF ? Or are you just confusing the purple Series S line for Series X ?

🤔