Video game performers will go on strike over artificial intelligence concerns

Kokoloko

Veteran
21 Jun 2022
If ai helps shrink game studio sizes, speeds up development and doesnt lose quality Im in. As long as quality doesnt get lowered by over using ai then good

toadsage44

22 Jun 2022
West Virginia, USA
This is probably a hot take, but I would appreciate the variety that AI voice acting could potentially bring to the industry. So many games reuse the same voice actors, so AI shaking that up and giving us a wider variety of voices would be great. If I had $1 for every time a game's voice acting cast included Troy Baker, Nolan North, Yuri Lowenthal, and/or Matthew Mercer, and probably others that I'm not even remembering, I'd have enough money to make my own AAA game.

Reactions: Zzero

Shmunter

Veteran
22 Jul 2022
This is probably a hot take, but I would appreciate the variety that AI voice acting could potentially bring to the industry. So many games reuse the same voice actors, so AI shaking that up and giving us a wider variety of voices would be great. If I had $1 for every time a game's voice acting cast included Troy Baker, Nolan North, Yuri Lowenthal, and/or Matthew Mercer, and probably others that I'm not even remembering, I'd have enough money to make my own AAA game.
Not to mention you can make up some iconic sounding voices that are quite rare right now

ToTTenTranz

Veteran
Icon Extra
4 Aug 2023
I agree those are great use cases for AI. Stealing other people's work? Not so much.
You know what else stole people's work? Automated assembly lines and agriculture that resulted in excess production and pretty much erased hunger in all 1st world countries and most of the 3rd world ones.

Reactions: Entropi

Entropi

Veteran
22 Jan 2023
You know what else stole people's work? Automated assembly lines and agriculture that resulted in excess production and pretty much erased hunger in all 1st world countries and most of the 3rd world ones.

We’re not in the 19th century here. We’re overfed, not hungry.

“Without guardrails, game companies could train AI to replicate an actor’s voice, or create a digital replica of their likeness without consent or fair compensation, the union said.”

Now, imagine some douchebag CEO at EA replicating your voice and using it without adequately compensating you for it.

This isn’t about how great or revolutionary AI is. It’s about the insatiable greed of the new 21st-century wealth class. Born into a bubble so detached from the reality the rest of the 99.9% live in.

These people will use AI to make people hungry again, as long as they can get a penny out of it.

ToTTenTranz

Veteran
Icon Extra
4 Aug 2023
We’re not in the 19th century here. We’re overfed, not hungry.

“Without guardrails, game companies could train AI to replicate an actor’s voice, or create a digital replica of their likeness without consent or fair compensation, the union said.”

Now, imagine some douchebag CEO at EA replicating your voice and using it without adequately compensating you for it.

This isn’t about how great or revolutionary AI is. It’s about the insatiable greed of the new 21st-century wealth class. Born into a bubble so detached from the reality the rest of the 99.9% live in.

These people will use AI to make people hungry again, as long as they can get a penny out of it.
Us being overfed is probably a cultural transition problem. Most of our great-grannies and great-grandpas lived in a scarce food world, meaning they'd eat whatever they could whenever it was available, and they taught that to their offspring.

But being overfed is still better than underfed in the big picture, because humanity can instead focus on increasing productivity and advancing technology, which we certainly have done.

As for AI, I agree that it sucks but it's not something you can stop with government regulation.
Otherwise you'll just have developers from unscrupulous governments using AI at will, therefore paying a fraction of what western devs do and making the latter less competitive.

Last edited:

Hatefield

I am the law
18 Jun 2024
I just want to point out that drake used 2pacs voice with ai. Just saying on which side I put you all that want ai voices and actors.

Jim Ryan

Not Lyin
VIP
22 Jun 2022
This is going to be a mess.... And expensive mess that makes little to no sense.

2spooky5me

Veteran
12 May 2024
Just to preface, I am NOT shilling for any specific YT channel, but I could not just post the official trailer. It wouldn't show how awful the A.I. usage actually is.
I am pretty sure this game uses A.I. for nearly everything, especially the voices, lol: