[VideoGamer/Bloomberg] Xbox fans lose faith in Microsoft as exclusives jump to PlayStation and Xbox strategy is confusing as ever

Senki Dala

11 Aug 2024
France
Their marketing is, as usual, pathetic, but I don't see it as a problem on the longterm.

The exclusives will eventually "die" or at least... be diluted. This is just the path that gaming will follow.

We can dislike digital games, for the preservation (it is arguable), for not being able to sell our games, or lend them, etc, but it became the most popular way to buy games. Who would have thought that 10 years ago ?

Same goes for cloud gaming it'll be more and more powerful.

MS started a long time ago (a decade ago ?) to bring all their games on PC, first a few games, then more and more, first late after the console release, then at the same time on day one. And now porting their games on PS5, first a long time later (HiFi Rush, Sea of Thieves etc), then soon after (Indy), then it might be on day one...

And if you analyze all that... You see that Sony is coming this way too.
3 years ago nobody could imagine that Sony will bring games like Uncharted, Horizon, God of War, etc on PC.
Sure for now it is like MS at the first step, 1 game at a time, after the console release.

Horizon 1 on PS4 Feb 2017 / PC Aug 2020. 3 years and 5 months.
Horizon 2 on PS4/5 Feb 2022 / PC Mar 2024. 2 years and 1 month.
Lego Horizon Adventures : Day one on PS5/PC/Switch. 0 year and 0 month.

It was just an exemple but what I mean is that it's the road the industry is taking. Making money on a 150/200/300/500M$ game isn't easy, Sony tried to rise the prices of games at 80$ and it doesn't seem to be enough.

If you all don't see a pattern in all this... Then, well, I dunno.

PS : and I don't say I like it, in fact I don't like it at all. I love exclusives.